just for fun; my opinion!

The cosmos at our fingertips.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

just for fun; my opinion!

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:59 pm

There are more galaxies in the Universe; than stars in the Milky Way! 8-) :lol2:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: just for fun; my opinion!

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:13 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:59 pm There are more galaxies in the Universe; than stars in the Milky Way! 8-) :lol2:
In the entire Universe, that's almost certainly true. But in the observable universe? That could be a close call, with about 200 billion stars in our galaxy, and about 200 billion galaxies in the observable universe. Both numbers are likely to increase, perhaps to double, as our technology allows us to detect fainter sources.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:33 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 8:13 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:59 pm There are more galaxies in the Universe; than stars in the Milky Way! 8-) :lol2:
In the entire Universe, that's almost certainly true. But in the observable universe? That could be a close call, with about 200 billion stars in our galaxy, and about 200 billion galaxies in the observable universe. Both numbers are likely to increase, perhaps to double, as our technology allows us to detect fainter sources.
Thanks for your reply Chris; and that is most certainly the case! It is very interesting as we can see deeper and deeper into he beyond! I'm ready for the JWST to show its wares! I know I'm an old fart, but I'd like to to see s a few discovers before I go! :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:38 am

Thanks for bringing this up, Orin! :D

And thanks for the verdict, Chris! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:38 am

So many stars and so many galaxies, yep that is definitely on my list of top ten wonders of the universe.
Neutrino's are on that top ten list of mine also as I'm just blown away by the fact that one could pass through a light year of lead and not hit anything. Man that's just crazy to think about!
I've come to the conclusion that when i said i wanted to be somebody when i grew up i probably should have been more specific