APOD: Total Solar Eclipse 2020 (2021 Jan 07)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Total Solar Eclipse 2020 (2021 Jan 07)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:06 am

Image Total Solar Eclipse 2020

Explanation: Along a narrow path crossing southern South America through Chile and Argentina, the final New Moon of 2020 moved in front of the Sun on December 14 in the year's only total solar eclipse. Within about 2 days of perigee, the closest point in its elliptical orbit, the New Moon's surface is faintly lit by earthshine in this dramatic composite view. The image is a processed composite of 55 calibrated exposures ranging from 1/640 to 3 seconds. Covering a large range in brightness during totality, it reveals the dim lunar surface and faint background stars, along with planet-sized prominences at the Sun's edge, an enormous coronal mass ejection, and sweeping coronal structures normally hidden in the Sun's glare. Look closely for an ill-fated sungrazing Kreutz family comet (C/2020 X3 SOHO) approaching from the lower left, at about the 7 o'clock position. In 2021 eclipse chasers will see an annular solar eclipse coming up on June 10. They'll have to wait until December 4 for the only total solar eclipse in 2021 though. That eclipse will be total along a narrow path crossing the southernmost continent of Antarctica.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

DL MARTIN

Re: APOD: Total Solar Eclipse 2020 (2021 Jan 07)

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:56 am

Is there an accounting of the energy transferred and subsequently stored as a result of earthshine, moonshine...?

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 07, 2021 1:31 pm

Tse_2020_400mm_dmwa-rot.jpg

Ow; Ow; Ow! Hot; Hot: Hot!
Sun's coronal ejections reach way out! :shock: :mrgreen:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Eclectic Man
Ensign

Post by Eclectic Man » Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:17 pm

Wow!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:04 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:56 am Is there an accounting of the energy transferred and subsequently stored as a result of earthshine, moonshine...?
The energy we receive from the corona amounts to a nearly unmeasurably small fraction of the energy from the Sun's surface.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Mountainjim62

Post by Mountainjim62 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:11 pm

Is there an explanation for why the corona looks distinctly different on the right & left side of the sun compared to the top & bottom of the sum in the image?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:20 pm

Mountainjim62 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:11 pm Is there an explanation for why the corona looks distinctly different on the right & left side of the sun compared to the top & bottom of the sum in the image?
The shape of the corona is highly influenced by the Sun's magnetic field.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:19 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:04 pm
DL MARTIN wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:56 am Is there an accounting of the energy transferred and subsequently stored as a result of earthshine, moonshine...?
The energy we receive from the corona amounts to a nearly unmeasurably small fraction of the energy from the Sun's surface.
I believe DL MARTIN was talking about the energy the moon receives from earthshine, and how much energy the earth receives from moonshine. Nothing to do with the sun's corona. I imagine the solar flux (in watts/m2) in either case is pretty small.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Guest1000

Post by Guest1000 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:50 pm

So many who have seen totality live say what impressed them most was the active motion visible, waves rippling out etc.
I have never seen it live.
I have never seen a video of this brief moment. All videos seem to show the entire eclipse from start to end, time lapses etc., but never just the most fascinating part.
Does anyone have any links of such a video?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:19 pm
I believe DL MARTIN was talking about the energy the moon receives from earthshine, and how much energy the earth receives from moonshine. Nothing to do with the sun's corona. I imagine the solar flux (in watts/m2) in either case is pretty small.
Maybe. People have looked at the effect of earthshine at the Moon. The Moon receives about 75 mW per square meter from light reflected off the Earth, and another 75 mW per square meter from thermal radiation emitted by the Earth. So a total of 150 mW per square meter. Clearly, the Earth will receive much less than this from sunlight reflected directly from the Moon, and even less from earthshine. Given the Moon's low albedo, the direct energy contribution at Earth from a full Moon can't be more than a few tens of milliwatts per square meter at most, compared with over a kilowatt per square meter from direct sunlight.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 pm

Guest1000 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:50 pm So many who have seen totality live say what impressed them most was the active motion visible, waves rippling out etc.
I have never seen it live.
I have never seen a video of this brief moment. All videos seem to show the entire eclipse from start to end, time lapses etc., but never just the most fascinating part.
Does anyone have any links of such a video?
I have seen a number of total eclipses, and there is no motion. Nothing we see at this scale moves visibly in a few minutes of totality. There are a few dynamic effects created around the edges as the Moon blocks and exposes the surface of the Sun, but that is all. Any sense that things are moving is just an optical illusion... which is why we don't see it in videos.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:43 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:54 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:19 pm

Maybe. People have looked at the effect of earthshine at the Moon. The Moon receives about 75 mW per square meter from light reflected off the Earth, and another 75 mW per square meter from thermal radiation emitted by the Earth. So a total of 150 mW per square meter. Clearly, the Earth will receive much less than this from sunlight reflected directly from the Moon, and even less from earthshine. Given the Moon's low albedo, the direct energy contribution at Earth from a full Moon can't be more than a few tens of milliwatts per square meter at most, compared with over a kilowatt per square meter from direct sunlight.
Thanks for the numbers. I hadn't even thought about the light the earth receives from earthshine hitting the moon! Then there's the energy the moon receives from moonshine hitting the earth, and so on reflecting ad infinitum. :shock:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Guest1000

Post by Guest1000 » Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:50 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:56 pm
I have seen a number of total eclipses, and there is no motion. Nothing we see at this scale moves visibly in a few minutes of totality. There are a few dynamic effects created around the edges as the Moon blocks and exposes the surface of the Sun, but that is all. Any sense that things are moving is just an optical illusion... which is why we don't see it in videos.
Thank you very much! Always great to clear up misunderstandings! :D

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:03 pm

In reference to my question regarding the transference and storage (absorption) of energy resulting from earthshine and moonshine, I neglected to include time as a variable. In addition, I'm not limiting my question to a parochial moon-earth thing. The question I've in mind is how much energy is exchanged and stored among celestial bodies, seemingly in a passive format, yet collectively of possible consequence, in the search for dark energy.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:22 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:03 pm In reference to my question regarding the transference and storage (absorption) of energy resulting from earthshine and moonshine, I neglected to include time as a variable. In addition, I'm not limiting my question to a parochial moon-earth thing. The question I've in mind is how much energy is exchanged and stored among celestial bodies, seemingly in a passive format, yet collectively of possible consequence, in the search for dark energy.
Well, probably 99.999% of all light emitted by stars is not absorbed by anything, near or far. But that thought makes me wonder how much energy in the form of protonsphotons and neutrinos is free flying throughout the universe. I'll take that number in watts/m3 please, Chris. (is that even the correct unit?) :ssmile:

EDIT: of course I meant photons above, not protons! Though I supposed there can indeed be free protons (aka positively charged hydrogen ions) in most otherwise empty space, along with the occasional normal atom or molecule.
Last edited by johnnydeep on Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:30 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:22 pm
DL MARTIN wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:03 pm In reference to my question regarding the transference and storage (absorption) of energy resulting from earthshine and moonshine, I neglected to include time as a variable. In addition, I'm not limiting my question to a parochial moon-earth thing. The question I've in mind is how much energy is exchanged and stored among celestial bodies, seemingly in a passive format, yet collectively of possible consequence, in the search for dark energy.
Well, probably 99.999% of all light emitted by stars is not absorbed by anything, near or far. But that thought makes me wonder how much energy in the form of protons and neutrinos is free flying throughout the universe. I'll take that number in watts/m3 please, Chris. (is that even the correct unit?) :ssmile:
Watts per square meter would be a typical unit for irradiance. If you want to work with time and energy, you can consider the fact that a watt is one joule per second.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 pm

Is there not transference and absorption of light energy among galaxies? Or when I look at a star!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:44 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:34 pm Is there not transference and absorption of light energy among galaxies? Or when I look at a star!
Energy is transferred by photons. It is always moving outward from sources like stars, and a tiny, tiny fraction will naturally get absorbed by atoms in distant places. But the energy a galaxy absorbs from the surrounding universe is such an immensely tiny fraction of the energy it generates locally that this absorbed energy has no meaningful physical effect.

Dark energy has no relationship to this.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:35 pm

Thanks to Chris Peterson and johnnydeep for your patience in clarifying things.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:13 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:30 pm
Well, probably 99.999% of all light emitted by stars is not absorbed by anything, near or far. But that thought makes me wonder how much energy in the form of protons and neutrinos is free flying throughout the universe. I'll take that number in watts/m3 please, Chris. (is that even the correct unit?) :ssmile:
Watts per square meter would be a typical unit for irradiance. If you want to work with time and energy, you can consider the fact that a watt is one joule per second.
Ok, so then (...after reading wikipedia...), I guess that energy density is what I was after, which is Joules/m3, and therefore also Watt seconds/m3, which tortured unit probably is helpful to no one.
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:48 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:13 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:30 pm

Ok, so then (...after reading wikipedia...), I guess that energy density is what I was after, which is Joules/m3, and therefore also Watt seconds/m3, which tortured unit probably is helpful to no one.
There are about a dozen ways of looking at luminance and flux and energy density and spectral irradiance and...

Many have tortured units, and keeping track of the sometimes subtle differences between them can be a challenge.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:03 am

I was supposed to be there and see the eclipse, which would have been my first ever. But... then we got the pandemic, and we cancelled.

Ann
Color Commentator

sillyworm 2

Post by sillyworm 2 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:31 pm

Gorgeous

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:13 pm

Ann wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:03 am I was supposed to be there and see the eclipse, which would have been my first ever. But... then we got the pandemic, and we cancelled
Well, that's a bummer! It's an experience that has no equal.

But you've got some good opportunities in the near future. A very good one in the U.S. in 2024 (if the U.S. is still here; stop by Colorado for a visit). 2026 in Spain, 2027 Spain and Northern Africa.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Wolf
Ensign

Post by Wolf » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:58 pm

Am I just having a pareidolia or is this a black eye for January 7th.