Weather!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Weather!

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:41 am
orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:37 am WE GOT 6-7 INCHES SNOW TODAY! so I got to test out my snow Joe! Works nice for an electric! I gave my gas to my daughter and son-in-law cause I couldn't get it started! They have a garage & ! don't! :lol2: It snowed about an inch since so I get to use it for cleanup tomorrow! Oh crap the snow plow just plugged my drive & recovered my sidewalk; more work still! :shock:
We got about four inches overnight. Plowed the driveway down to the mailbox (about a quarter mile) and shoveled the paths between the house and my office (a couple hundred yards). Good exercise, winter!
I just about got the snow plows junk cleaned off! I got cold so I am resting for a bit; I have about 30' to go! :wink:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:02 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:37 am WE GOT 6-7 INCHES SNOW TODAY! so I got to test out my snow Joe! Works nice for an electric! I gave my gas to my daughter and son-in-law cause I couldn't get it started! They have a garage & ! don't! :lol2: It snowed about an inch since so I get to use it for cleanup tomorrow! Oh crap the snow plow just plugged my drive & recovered my sidewalk; more work still! :shock:
We got about four inches overnight. Plowed the driveway down to the mailbox (about a quarter mile) and shoveled the paths between the house and my office (a couple hundred yards). Good exercise, winter!
I just about got the snow plows junk cleaned off! I got cold so I am resting for a bit; I have about 30' to go! :wink:
At the new house we're building, I've got three miles of driveway to clear out to the county road. I'm planning on replacing my current tractor with one with a heated cab once we move!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:02 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:56 pm

At the new house we're building, I've got three miles of driveway to clear out to the county road. I'm planning on replacing my current tractor with one with a heated cab once we move!

Sounds like a winner!

I might try some snapshots today! :D
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Ann wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:56 am P.S. Chris, I get exhausted just reading about your "winter exercise"!
I guess I shouldn't talk about the snowshoe trips over 12,000 foot passes!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:22 pm

I promised some pictures! Just out the front windows! :mrgreen: After the snow removal; I'm afraid I got a little lazy!

IMG_0498.JPG
IMG_0499.JPG
IMG_0500.JPG

The last one was almost point blank into the sun!
Orin

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:17 pm

Record snow fall in OKC on this date since 1895, 5 inches and counting. Happy New Year!
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:31 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.

bystander wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:17 pm
Record snow fall in OKC on this date
since 1895, 5 inches and counting.

Happy New Year!

Art Neuendorffer

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Sun Jan 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Here in Nova Scotia, specifically in its largest city and on the Atlantic coast, we’re having one of our mild winters. It’s only snowed three times so far, with both of the first two melting away and yesterday’s snow likely to do the same over the next couple of days. But it isn’t always like that. Because of our location sticking out into the North Atlantic we get a wide variety of inclement weather, depending on exactly where and on what track the center of the low pressure system passes by. If it swings a little east, we get a drier and colder storm. If it swings a bit west, we’re on the warm wet side of the storm. The worst come right up the middle of the province, so we get rain followed by lots of snow followed by lots more rain, which can cause the resulting high wet snow banks to freeze into unmovable blocks. Winter here can be surprisingly gentle or hideously wearisome. This looks like one of the gentle ones. (Famous last words?)

Rob

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:13 pm

Today was one of the rare sunny days in Malmö at this time of year, so I cycled down to West Harbour to see the sun glitter in the Strait of Öresund, and see Copenhagen gleam on the horizon. 🌞

I didn't take any pictures, partly because I was too bundled up. Chris would have found it a balmy day, I'm sure, but I disagree. On the other hand, I was comfy in my big huge warm Christmas sweater, a big blue thing with a big Christmas tree in front, which looks ridiculous now that Christmas is over, but I couldn't care less. 🎄

I went so overboard as to have an ice cream. The ice cream parlour was uncomfortably full of people, but once I got my ice cream and my hot coffee I went outside to have my coffee and ice cream in the fresh air outside. It was a bit cold for ice cream, I have to admit, and I didn't take any pictures partly because I was wearing a big mitten on the hand which I didn't use for handling the ice cream and the coffee. 🍦☕️

For all of that, it was nice. But now winter is coming, they say. We are supposed to get snow on Wednesday, and then temperatures will drop. ❄️❄️❄️

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:35 pm

We buy ice-cream by the box! It used to be a gallon; but now we are lucky if the box is 3/4 gal! Size shrinkage due to cost! What the hey? You just have to buy more often to satisfy your wants and needs! :mrgreen: My wife only buys ice-cream :D when it's on sale!

th.jpg
th.jpg (5.8 KiB) Viewed 16582 times
from on line images

when I was a kid the banana split
was my favorite sundae! :lol2:
Still is; but too much to eat!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:08 pm

Some snow falling; doesn't look as though that it will amount to much! We still have full ground cover from Dec. 30 snow! Hopeful that drought is over! :)
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:28 pm

It is supposed to get in the 50"s today! While that feels nice for this time of year; it makes you wonder about how hot summer will be! This used to be the coldest time of year! :shock:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:55 pm

We are supposed to get 3" to 5" snow tomorrow! We will see how that goes! ⛄️ 🌬
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:45 pm

9;30 this morning about 2 more inches fell since! Forecast was
changed to 8 to 11 inches! I don't think we will get that much!
Weather men usually over estimate for our area! :mrgreen: I wish we
would though because we need the moisture1 :mrgreen:
IMG_0502.JPG
IMG_0503.JPG
IMG_0504.JPG
after 8 more inches; I was a little busy with my snow blower!
Orin

neufer

Burn, baby, burn!

Post by neufer » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:30 am

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/147794/2020-tied-for-warmest-year-on-record wrote:
  • 2020 Tied for Warmest Year on Record
    NASA NASA : Earth Observatory Earth Observatory
<<Continuing the planet’s long-term warming trend, the globally averaged temperature in 2020 was 1.02 degrees Celsius warmer than the baseline 1951–1980 mean, according to scientists at NASA’s Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS). The year was slightly warmer than 2016 but within the margin of error of the analysis, making the years effectively tied.

“The last seven years have been the warmest seven years on record, typifying the ongoing and dramatic warming trend,” said GISS Director Gavin Schmidt. “Whether one year is a record or not is not really that important; the important things are long-term trends. With these trends, and as the human impact on the climate increases, we have to expect that records will continue to be broken.”

The map above depicts global temperature anomalies in 2020. It does not show absolute temperatures; instead, it shows how much warmer or cooler each region of Earth was compared to the baseline average from 1951 to 1980. The bar chart below shows this year in the context of the past 140 years in the modern temperature record. The values represent surface temperatures averaged over the entire globe for the year.

A separate, independent analysis by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) concluded that 2020 was the second-warmest year in their record, behind 2016. NOAA scientists use much of the same raw temperature data in their analysis, but have a different baseline period (1901-2000) and methodology. They noted that 2020 was the 44th consecutive year with global land and ocean temperatures above the 20th-century average.

Scientists from Europe’s Copernicus program also have 2020 tying 2016 as the warmest year on record, while the UK Met Office ranked 2020 as the second-warmest.

The animation below shows the seasonal cycle in global temperature anomalies for every month since 1880. Each line shows how much the global monthly temperature was above or below the global mean of 1980–2015. These seasonal anomalies are drawn from the Modern-Era Retrospective analysis for Research and Applications, version 2 (MERRA-2), a model run by NASA’s Global Modeling and Assimilation Office.

Like all scientific data, these temperature findings contain a small amount of uncertainty—in this case, mainly due to changes in weather station locations and temperature measurement methods over time. The GISS temperature analysis (GISTEMP) is accurate to within 0.1 degrees Fahrenheit, with a 95 percent confidence level for the most recent period.

While the long-term trend of warming continues, a variety of events and factors contribute to any particular year’s average temperature. The largest source of year-to-year variability in global temperatures typically comes from the El Nino-Southern Oscillation (ENSO), a naturally occurring cycle of heat exchange between the ocean and atmosphere. While the year ended in a La Niña (cool) phase of ENSO, it started in a slightly positive (warm) phase, which marginally increased the average overall temperature. The cooling from the negative phase is expected to have greater influence on 2021.

“The previous record warm year, 2016, received a significant boost from a strong El Niño,” Schmidt said. “The lack of a similar assist from El Niño this year is evidence that the background climate continues to warm due to greenhouse gases.”

Parts of Earth are warming faster than others, with warming trends most pronounced in the Arctic. According to Schmidt, the region has been warming more than three times as fast as the rest of the globe over the past 30 years. At the same time Arctic sea ice has been declining by about 13 percent per decade, which causes the region to reflect less sunlight (lower albedo). In turn, the Arctic Ocean absorbs more heat and causes temperatures to rise further still. This phenomenon is known as Arctic amplification.>>
Art Neuendorffer

sophia787
Asternaut

Post by sophia787 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:38 am

here is very sunny day today!
https://racketsblog.com/best-tennis-rackets/

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 am

orin stepanek wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:45 pm 9;30 this morning about 2 more inches fell since! Forecast was
IMG_0502.JPGIMG_0503.JPGIMG_0504.JPGafter 8 more inches; I was a little busy with my snow blower!
That's a lot of snow, Orin!

We haven't had any snow to speak of yet, but we will get snow tonight. And temperatures are going to plunge, so whatever we get tonight is likely to stay for at least a week. Or more.

I'm not looking forward to it.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:00 pm

Ann wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 am
orin stepanek wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:45 pm 9;30 this morning about 2 more inches fell since! Forecast was
IMG_0502.JPGIMG_0503.JPGIMG_0504.JPGafter 8 more inches; I was a little busy with my snow blower!

We haven't had any snow to speak of yet, but we will get snow tonight. And temperatures are going to plunge, so whatever we get tonight is likely to stay for at least a week. Or more.

Ann
I don't blame you! You have to admit, it makes some beautiful photos!
After I got dug out that good old snow plow cleaned off our street; only to plug up my drive and my front sidewalk! 🤬 What is snow good for? Moisture; snowballs; snow forts; and snowmen! Oh mustn't forget winter sports! I outgrew all but moisture! I might consider a sleighride!
If you get that snow; keep warm!♨️
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:31 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:00 pm
Ann wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:29 am

Ann
I don't blame you! You have to admit, it makes some beautiful photos!
After I got dug out that good old snow plow cleaned off our street; only to plug up my drive and my front sidewalk! 🤬 What is snow good for? Moisture; snowballs; snow forts; and snowmen! Oh mustn't forget winter sports! I outgrew all but moisture! I might consider a sleighride!
If you get that snow; keep warm!♨️
Oh no, getting your freshly plowed driveway buried under snow again is terrible!!! 🥶

Ann
Color Commentator

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:07 pm

We don't typically get very much snow in my area. Has to be the just the right conditions - a big cold front from the Northeast has to come down and crash into our typical warm, rainy clouds that continuously flow from the Pacific.

We did get a dusting yesterday afternoon. Not much, but enough to make my kids go crazy. There wasn't enough for a snowman but my daughter managed to make a snow-kitten...

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:04 am

We got snow last night. Not a lot of it, but we won't get rid of it for at least two weeks, because the icy cold is going to stay for at least that long.

I hate this time of year!!! :bang:

This is midwinter. Don't tell me December is midwinter!!!

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 pm

Ann wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:04 am We got snow last night. Not a lot of it, but we won't get rid of it for at least two weeks, because the icy cold is going to stay for at least that long.

I hate this time of year!!! :bang:

This is midwinter. Don't tell me December is midwinter!!!

Ann
cheer up; only 49 days til Spring! :lol2:

Your Scrooge Kinda reminds me of the face on Mars! 🤣

Mars-Face-on-Mars.jpg
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:38 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:05 pm
cheer up; only 49 days til Spring! :lol2:

Your Scrooge Kinda reminds me of the face on Mars! 🤣

Yes, the Face on Mars looks kind of grumpy, too! Scrooge on Mars!

Hmm... I remember hearing about Elvis on Mars... Never heard about Scrooge on Mars!

Ann
Color Commentator

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:07 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:50 pm