Best Astrophysics Meme

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Ann
4725 Å

Best Astrophysics Meme

Post by Ann » Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:49 pm

I just saw this and can't resist it! 😄

Astrophysics is physics dressed up as Elton John!

Ann
Color Commentator

KayBur
Ensign

Re: Best Astrophysics Meme

Post by KayBur » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:01 pm

Well, this is the standard type of memes where one group of people makes fun of another group, similar in basic principles to the first group.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 pm

Physicists are so different from astrophysicists, though, not just generally in human personalities, but also in the way math and models are handled. We all have to make fun of ourselves, sometimes.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:06 am

geckzilla wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 pm Physicists are so different from astrophysicists, though, not just generally in human personalities, but also in the way math and models are handled. We all have to make fun of ourselves, sometimes.
Well, I'm not saying there is no difference. In general, all people are individual, each profession requires a certain set of qualities and skills, a certain approach. I do not argue that professions or lifestyle can be a reason for jokes, but the main thing is that these jokes remain within the framework of a joke and do not become an insult.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm

KayBur wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:06 am
geckzilla wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:08 pm Physicists are so different from astrophysicists, though, not just generally in human personalities, but also in the way math and models are handled. We all have to make fun of ourselves, sometimes.
Well, I'm not saying there is no difference. In general, all people are individual, each profession requires a certain set of qualities and skills, a certain approach. I do not argue that professions or lifestyle can be a reason for jokes, but the main thing is that these jokes remain within the framework of a joke and do not become an insult.

LagoonPanSTARRS_ColesPugh1024[1].jpg
The Lagoon Nebula. Photo: Pan-STARRS, Eric Coles, Martin Pugh.
I posted this meme not to ridicule anyone, but because I love the "astrophysicist" there. He is wearing an enormous magenta feather boa, which to me is reminiscent of an emission nebula in space. He is also wearing a bit of blue and white, which remind me of the hot blue-white stars that typically ionize emission nebulas. His sunglasses have red lenses, and there's all sorts of more or less red stuff in the Universe.

Just look at that astrophysicist! Doesn't he remind you of the Lagoon Nebula?

Also, his expression says that he is going for a wild ride in the Universe, that is, his observation and analysis of aspects of space are like a fantastic roller coaster ride. He reminds me of a young man in a spaceship, piloting his rocketship at breakneck speed, marveling at all the amazing things that he is discovering out there.

I love that meme, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever.

Ann
Last edited by Ann on Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:18 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm
KayBur wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:06 am

LagoonPanSTARRS_ColesPugh1024[1].jpg
The Lagoon Nebula. Photo: Pan-STARRS, Eric Coles, Martin Pugh.
I posted this meme not to ridicule anyone, but because I loved the "astrophysicist" there. He is wearing an enormous magenta feather boa, which to me is reminiscent of an emission nebula in space. He is also wearing a bit of blue and white, which reminded me of the hot blue-white stars that typically ionize emission nebulas. His sunglasses have red lenses, and there's all sorts of more or less red stuff in the Universe.

Just look at that astrophysicist! Doesn't he remind you of the Lagoon Nebula?

Also, his expression says that he is going for a wild ride in the Universe, that is, his observation and analysis of aspects of space are like a fantastic roller coaster ride. He reminded me of a young man in a spaceship, piloting his rocketship at breakneck speed, marveling at all the amazing things that he uncovered out there.

I love that meme, and I mean no disrespect whatsoever.

Ann
Except for puns, virtually all humor exists at the expense of somebody. Humor mocks people, ridicules people, emphasizes the weaknesses of people. That's just the reality. That's what makes us laugh. That's just how humans work. Certainly, there is humor that can be in bad taste. But it's all exploitive in some way. We have to be able to laugh at ourselves. We have to be able to not take offense when no offense is intended.

I can't imagine why anybody would look at that particular meme and think it was intended to be disrespectful. Not by its creator, not by its posters.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:16 pm

Ann wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm Just look at that astrophysicist! Doesn't he remind you of the Lagoon Nebula?

Looks like Elton John to me. I knew Brian May was an astrophysicist, but not Elton John.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Feb 03, 2021 4:52 am

bystander wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:16 pm
Ann wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:16 pm Just look at that astrophysicist! Doesn't he remind you of the Lagoon Nebula?

Looks like Elton John to me. I knew Brian May was an astrophysicist, but not Elton John.
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

I guess it's because Elton John looks like an emission nebula, at least sometimes, but Brian May doesn't. :wink:

I recommend this Youtube video, where Dr. Becky talks about Brian May's astrophysics thesis. May set out to determine the speed at which the Solar system orbits the Milky Way.

Ann
Color Commentator