Things will go slow for awhile!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Things will go slow for awhile!

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:06 pm

Things will be slow for a while; or longer! My Computer not working very good! I lost desktop/icons; and am locked out for something I must have done! :shock: Microsoft said they could get it back; but would cost me a bit! Not willing to pay! :(
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: Things will go slow for awhile!

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:14 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:06 pm Things will be slow for a while; or longer! My Computer not working very good! I lost desktop/icons; and am locked out for something I must have done! :shock: Microsoft said they could get it back; but would cost me a bit! Not willing to pay! :(
I would be very cautious. Microsoft doesn't charge for most of the tech support available to home users. But there are many scammers out there who pretend to be Microsoft. What you describe sounds a lot like you got hit by malware that has messed up your computer in order to entice you to utilize one of these bogus "services".

If you're running Windows 10, you might want to do a complete system reset. If you're running something earlier, it's possible that the maker of the PC has a factory restore utility.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:29 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:14 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:06 pm Things will be slow for a while; or longer! My Computer not working very good! I lost desktop/icons; and am locked out for something I must have done! :shock: Microsoft said they could get it back; but would cost me a bit! Not willing to pay! :(
I would be very cautious. Microsoft doesn't charge for most of the tech support available to home users. But there are many scammers out there who pretend to be Microsoft. What you describe sounds a lot like you got hit by malware that has messed up your computer in order to entice you to utilize one of these bogus "services".

If you're running Windows 10, you might want to do a complete system reset. If you're running something earlier, it's possible that the maker of the PC has a factory restore utility.
Thanks Chris! I did run a save my info full reset! took all day yesterday! I got cloud back and everything is in there; but my icons won't come onto my screen, and I can't unlock them! But I will keep trying!
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:34 pm

Oh; It used to have a reset to an earlier time on the computer; but that disappeared with one of the uploads from Microsoft! they tookoff all apps that didn't come with the computer! I'm still downloading every thing!
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:54 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:34 pm Oh; It used to have a reset to an earlier time on the computer; but that disappeared with one of the uploads from Microsoft! they tookoff all apps that didn't come with the computer! I'm still downloading every thing!
What version of Windows are you running?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:54 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:34 pm Oh; It used to have a reset to an earlier time on the computer; but that disappeared with one of the uploads from Microsoft! they tookoff all apps that didn't come with the computer! I'm still downloading every thing!
windows 10; early version
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:37 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:30 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:54 pm
windows 10; early version
You should be able to go to Settings, Update & Security, Recovery, Reset this PC to go back to clean factory settings. You'll need to re-install any programs you've added, but all your personal data will be kept. That feature has always been there, and was never disabled by any updates.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:41 pm

Neowise3Tails_Lefaudeux_960_annotated.jpg
I'm back! I had to go to microwsoft.com leave my Email log in and got to instruction page! :D Not sure what happened; but sounds like that sometimes this happens during an upgrade! :roll:
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:08 am

Great to have you back, Orin! :D

Ann
Color Commentator