APOD: Horsehead and Orion Nebulas (2021 May 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Horsehead and Orion Nebulas (2021 May 09)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun May 09, 2021 4:06 am

Image Horsehead and Orion Nebulas

Explanation: The dark Horsehead Nebula and the glowing Orion Nebula are contrasting cosmic vistas. Adrift 1,500 light-years away in one of the night sky's most recognizable constellations, they appear in opposite corners of the above stunning mosaic. The familiar Horsehead nebula appears as a dark cloud, a small silhouette notched against the long red glow at the lower left. Alnitak is the easternmost star in Orion's belt and is seen as the brightest star to the left of the Horsehead. Below Alnitak is the Flame Nebula, with clouds of bright emission and dramatic dark dust lanes. The magnificent emission region, the Orion Nebula (aka M42), lies at the upper right. Immediately to its left is a prominent reflection nebula sometimes called the Running Man. Pervasive tendrils of glowing hydrogen gas are easily traced throughout the region.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Horsehead and Orion Nebulas (2021 May 09)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun May 09, 2021 11:07 am

orionwisps_colombari_1080.jpg
How could you not want this beautiful rendering of this for a
background? Very nicely done! 8-) I love it; Thanks APOD!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sun May 09, 2021 12:08 pm

Just a technical question I am curious about. How did Orin in his photo get the Horsehead Nebula, Flame Nebula and Alnitak labeled in black letters when there are no such labels on my version of the APOD? I even right clicked and downloaded a wallpaper. Still no labels showed up.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun May 09, 2021 12:26 pm

De58te wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:08 pm Just a technical question I am curious about. How did Orin in his photo get the Horsehead Nebula, Flame Nebula and Alnitak labeled in black letters when there are no such labels on my version of the APOD? I even right clicked and downloaded a wallpaper. Still no labels showed up.
Cuz I put them in with paint, A product of Microsoft! You have to drag the photo into a file and then edit! + a few quirks! :)
Orin

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Sun May 09, 2021 2:31 pm

Orin, you would have used white for the letters, in the color palette there are more

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun May 09, 2021 6:09 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 2:31 pm Orin, you would have used white for the letters, in the color palette there are more
You can mix almost any color you want! how's this?
orionwisps_colombari_1080.jpg
Orin

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 pm

Nice pic. In trying to find an image of the "running man" nebula that better evinces a likeness of its namesake, I came across this recent Scientific American article showcasing the impressive work of Portugese astral photographer Miguel Claro - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... from-space. Like this one of the Orion Nebula:

I still don't see the running man (unless it's a charcoal Gumby), but as you may know, I seem to have trouble with that sort of thing. :ssmile:
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 am

johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 pm Nice pic. In trying to find an image of the "running man" nebula that better evinces a likeness of its namesake, I came across this recent Scientific American article showcasing the impressive work of Portugese astral photographer Miguel Claro - https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... from-space. Like this one of the Orion Nebula:

I still don't see the running man (unless it's a charcoal Gumby), but as you may know, I seem to have trouble with that sort of thing. :ssmile:
Running Man Nebula annotated Adam Block.png

Here's your Running Man. He's got an extremely fat left arm, I'll grant you that.

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Mon May 10, 2021 4:51 am

Ann wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 am
johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 pm I still don't see the running man (unless it's a charcoal Gumby), but as you may know, I seem to have trouble with that sort of thing. :ssmile:
Here's your Running Man. He's got an extremely fat left arm, I'll grant you that.
More like some other kind of ape. But I guess Brachiating Orangutan Nebula just doesn't ring quite right.
_
orangutanswinging.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon May 10, 2021 12:30 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:51 am
Ann wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:18 am
johnnydeep wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 8:38 pm I still don't see the running man (unless it's a charcoal Gumby), but as you may know, I seem to have trouble with that sort of thing. :ssmile:
More like some other kind of ape. But I guess Brachiating Orangutan Nebula just doesn't ring quite right.
_
orangutanswinging.jpg
Thanks, Ann and Chris. The orientation of the image makes all the difference in the effectiveness of the pareidolia. Also, that wispy dust cloud below the dubious primate sure looks like it's trying to be something too!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}