Favorite Moons

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
Prometheus
Ensign

Favorite Moons

Post by Prometheus » Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:55 am

The title explains it all. Any of you got favorite moons? By the way, my two favorites (which I can never decide as my top favorite, it frequently changes) are actually Oberon and Umbriel…but there was one time last year where I was obsessed with Charon for a day. Then Triton for 2 days, and back to the other two I mentioned.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Re: Favorite Moons

Post by rstevenson » Sat Nov 13, 2021 12:50 pm

I’d have to visit them all in person to really make up my mind. I wonder if Elon wants another project?

Rob

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:48 pm

Prometheus wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:55 am The title explains it all. Any of you got favorite moons? By the way, my two favorites (which I can never decide as my top favorite, it frequently changes) are actually Oberon and Umbriel…but there was one time last year where I was obsessed with Charon for a day. Then Triton for 2 days, and back to the other two I mentioned.
Luna.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:48 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_(moon) wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

<<Pan is the innermost named moon of Saturn. It is a small, walnut-shaped moon approximately 35 kilometres across and 23 km wide that orbits within the Encke Gap in Saturn's A Ring. Pan is a ring shepherd and is responsible for keeping the Encke Gap free of ring particles. It is sometimes described as having the appearance of a ravioli. It was discovered by Mark R. Showalter in 1990 from analysis of old Voyager 2 probe photos and received the provisional designation S/1981 S 13 because the discovery images dated back to 1981.

The moon was named on 16 September 1991, after the mythological Pan, who was (among other things) the god of shepherds. This is a reference to Pan's role as a shepherd moon. The eccentricity of Pan's orbit causes its distance from Saturn to vary by ~4 km. Its inclination, which would cause it to move up and down, is not distinguishable from zero with present data. The Encke Gap, within which Pan orbits, is about 325 km wide.

The existence of a moon in the Encke Gap was first predicted by Jeffrey N. Cuzzi and Jeffrey D. Scargle in 1985, based on wavy edges of the gap which indicated a gravitational disturbance. In 1986 Showalter et al. inferred its orbit and mass by modeling its gravitational wake. They arrived at a very precise prediction of 133,603 ± 10 km for the semi-major axis and a mass of 5–10×10−12 Saturn masses, and inferred that there was only a single moon within the Encke gap. The actual semi-major axis differs by 19 km and the actual mass is 8.6×10−12 of Saturn's.

The moon was later found within 1° of the predicted position. The search was undertaken by considering all Voyager 2 images and using a computer calculation to predict whether the moon would be visible under sufficiently favorable conditions in each one. Every qualifying Voyager 2 image with resolution better than ~50 km/pixel shows Pan clearly. In all, it appears in eleven Voyager 2 images.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:09 pm

I would have said Miranda, because it has a big fat "L" imprinted on it, so that its name should be Linda or something, and Iapetus, because it is the perfect two-face moon which is also impersonating a walnut.

Of course, who can resist Enceladus?

But I have to agree with Art that Pan looks amazing!

Ann
Color Commentator

Prometheus
Ensign

Post by Prometheus » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:33 pm

Should I make another thread eventually for what you all think is the worst moon in the solar system? After this one gets quite a few posts? (I like asking for everyone’s opinions on various moons)

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Nov 15, 2021 10:27 am

Prometheus wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:33 pm Should I make another thread eventually for what you all think is the worst moon in the solar system? After this one gets quite a few posts? (I like asking for everyone’s opinions on various moons)
Hey hey, wait! I have to mention another moon! Hyperion, the sponge moon! Darn it, I haven't got any soap now that I will take a bath - no matter, I'll use Hyperion instead to get a good scrub down! 🛀

And how about a thread about the worst moon? Sure, why not? I don't know what I'd vore for, and I know Ceres isn't a moon, but seriously - ceresly - isn't Ceres as boring as they come? Even though it's got a pair of "eyes"?

Ann
Color Commentator

Prometheus
Ensign

Post by Prometheus » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:06 am

For some reason, Oberon has practically always been my favorite moon, I don’t even know why. I seem to like the moons no one even talks about…I wish it was talked about more…

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:35 pm

.jpg
Luna; My very favorite! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:07 am

Prometheus wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:06 am For some reason, Oberon has practically always been my favorite moon, I don’t even know why. I seem to like the moons no one even talks about…I wish it was talked about more…
You are right: Nobody talks about Oberon. I barely remembered that there is such a moon, but then I realized it belongs to the same "family" as Miranda. Miranda and Oberon, they go together.

The reason why I love Miranda is because it has such a crazy appearance, with that huge "L" stamped on it, plus there is a good photo of it. The reason why I have paid no attention to Oberon is that there is no good photo of it. Only a relatively low-resolution image exists.

That said, I've been even less interested in Puck, Ariel, Umbriel and Titania, the other moons of Uranus. Puck is just too puny for me to care. But Ariel looks kind of interesting, with those long, huge cracks which seem to speak of a liquid interior. It reminds me a little of Enceladus. Umbriel looks like nothing - that's a terrible picture of it - but Titania actually doesn't look too shabby. Much of it looks like Callisto, with a dark face pockmarked with bright craters, but off to one side are those long sinuous cracks again. Of course, Oberon doesn't look that bad either, with that almost heart-shaped dark "double crater"(?) surrounded by a lot of light-colored ejecta. And in the middle of that "heart" is a huge "boulder", almost like a pearl in its heart.

There is also another striking crater surrounded by even whiter ejecta to the upper left of the "heart" of Oberon.

Ann
Color Commentator

eleven88
Asternaut

Post by eleven88 » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:10 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:35 pm .jpg
hill climb racing mod
Luna; My very favorite! :D
Hey... wow nice picture.

Orca
Commander

Post by Orca » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:32 am

Titan! Imagine sailing the hydrocarbon lakes. Or better yet, human-powered flight. The density of the atmosphere - 1.5 ATMs - and the low gravity would allow you, with flippers and maybe some kind of wing suit, to just fly around (XKCD talks about it here). If you can avoid freezing to death, of course.

Runners-up would include Europa (global oceans!), Mimas ("...that's no moon. Oh wait, um, yes it is a moon."), and any tiny satellite of an asteroid; the fact that these systems exist is just too cool.

EuropaVisitor
Asternaut

Post by EuropaVisitor » Mon May 30, 2022 9:36 pm

I think my favorite moon can be supplied by glancing at my username. :D Not just because of the oceans (though they are pretty cool) but also because the orange cracks on the background of ice look very cool. Though I do have to admit I am biased because of the very clear pictures of it and the fact that NASA is planning to send a mission there soon (NASA terms soon, of course).

Galatic Spacewarp
Ensign

Post by Galatic Spacewarp » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:28 pm

I don't know about you guys, but I think I like our OWN moon over the others. :)