APOD: An Almost Total Lunar Eclipse (2021 Nov 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: An Almost Total Lunar Eclipse (2021 Nov 20)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:10 am

Image An Almost Total Lunar Eclipse

Explanation: Predawn hours of November 19 found the Moon in partly cloudy skies over Cancun, Mexico. Captured in this telephoto snapshot, the lunar disk is not quite entirely immersed in Earth's dark umbral shadow during a long partial lunar eclipse. The partial eclipse was deep though, deep enough to show the dimmed but reddened light in Earth's shadow. That's a sight often anticipated by fans of total lunar eclipses. Wandering through the constellation Taurus, the eclipsed Moon's dimmer light also made it easier to spot the Pleiades star cluster. The stars of the Seven Sisters share this frame at the upper right, with the almost totally eclipsed Moon.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: An Almost Total Lunar Eclipse (2021 Nov 20)

Post by Ann » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 am

Beautiful picture. The Moon is brilliantly yellow-reddish-orange, and the bright stars of the Pleiades are really blue! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:40 am

Cancun, now that is the place to watch an eclipse! Up here it’s always either cloudy or record cold, last night it was record cold!
The air was so clear that The dark side was very, very dark, almost black. I did notice something peculiar as I looked with my naked eye that the peaks of the mountains seemed to be glowing orange in the shaded side. Very cool effect, reminded me rather of Io’s volcanoes. I had just gotten out of a serious illness in the hospital yesterday so maybe it was dehydration or other knockoff effect! LOL
Regardless, it was beautiful and I am very glad to have gotten to see it.

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:41 pm

IMG_8522-1_1024.jpg
Ah! 🤩 Today's Beauty!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:59 pm

XgeoX wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:40 am Cancun, now that is the place to watch an eclipse! Up here it’s always either cloudy or record cold, last night it was record cold!
The air was so clear that The dark side was very, very dark, almost black. I did notice something peculiar as I looked with my naked eye that the peaks of the mountains seemed to be glowing orange in the shaded side. Very cool effect, reminded me rather of Io’s volcanoes. I had just gotten out of a serious illness in the hospital yesterday so maybe it was dehydration or other knockoff effect! LOL
Regardless, it was beautiful and I am very glad to have gotten to see it.

Eric
What do you mean by "The air was so clear that The dark side was very, very dark, almost black"? That the shadowed side didn't look reddish as in this APOD?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}