APOD: Orion over Green Bank (2022 Feb 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Orion over Green Bank (2022 Feb 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:05 am

Image Orion over Green Bank

Explanation: What will the huge Green Bank Telescope discover tonight? Pictured, the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope (GBT) on the lower right is the largest fully-pointable single-dish radio telescope in the world. With a central dish larger than a football field, the GBT is nestled in the hills of West Virginia, USA in a radio quiet zone where the use of cell phones, WiFi emitters, and even microwave ovens are limited. The GBT explores our universe not only during the night -- but during the day, too, since the daytime sky is typically dark in radio waves. Taken in late January, the featured image was planned for months to get the setting location of Orion just right. The image is a composite of a foreground shot taken over a kilometer away from the GBT, and a background shot built up of long exposures during the previous night. The deep background image of Orion is fitting because the GBT is famous for, among many discoveries, mapping the unusual magnetic field in the Orion Molecular Cloud Complex.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Dan

Re: APOD: Orion over Green Bank (2022 Feb 23)

Post by Dan » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:26 am

Way too many "composites" these days...

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:53 pm

GreenBankOrion_Green_960_annotated.jpg
For some reason, the blue color seems so unreal to me;
but maybe it's just my perception! :shock:
It would be nice if their SETI work gives dividends.
Amyove-Funny-Cat-Dog-Costume-Uniform-Suit-Clothes-Puppy-Dressing-Up-Suit-Party-Cosplay-Clothes-0-1024x1024.jpg
This is so embarrassing; I can't get my paws out!😡
What a cute kitty! 🥰
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

N2LO

Post by N2LO » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:28 pm

IS..
The GBT explores our universe not only during the night -- but during the day, too, since the daytime sky is typically dark in radio waves.

Should Be..
The GBT explores our universe not only during the night -- but during the day, too, since the daytime sky is ALSO BRIGHT in radio waves.

N2LO@comcast.net

Eric
Ensign

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:55 pm

Dan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:26 am Way too many "composites" these days...

Agree.

Eric
Ensign

Post by Eric » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:59 pm

N2LO wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:28 pm IS..
The GBT explores our universe not only during the night -- but during the day, too, since the daytime sky is typically dark in radio waves.

Should Be..
The GBT explores our universe not only during the night -- but during the day, too, since the daytime sky is ALSO BRIGHT in radio waves.

N2LO@comcast.net
Yes. Also: "the use of cell phones...IS limited", not "ARE limited".

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:02 pm

Dan wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:26 am Way too many "composites" these days...

Virtually every image is a "composite".
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

dennis.mabrey

Post by dennis.mabrey » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:16 pm

I am always amazed at how many things in WV are named after Robert C. Byrd... The king of pork spending.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:06 pm

Eric wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:59 pm
N2LO wrote: Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:28 pm IS..

Should Be..

N2LO@comcast.net
Yes. Also: "the use of cell phones...IS limited", not "ARE limited".
Actually, regarding the 'dark' versus 'light' distinction, no. I believe the original text is correct. The daytime sky is bright in optical light, hence it's not a suitable time for optical telescopic observations. In contrast, the night time sky is dark in visible light, meaning that visible light sources outside the atmosphere can shine through.

Similarly, the daytime sky is dark in radio waves since radio sources outside the atmosphere can get through, just as with the night time sky.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

DonB312
Ensign

Post by DonB312 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:02 am

I see some posts saying the image is a fake. However, I am having trouble seeing anything fake about it. The foreground appears to have been accurately placed over the background. The objects in the foreground (building, telescope, forest, etc.) are actually there. The sky image is showing what is actually there. Granted, if we stood there and looked at this scene with our own eyes we wouldn't see all that we see in this photo. But I think of that as a case where the photo shows more of reality than our own eyes show us. I am so glad we have technology and techniques (including compositing) and people skilled at using them to show us much more of the real universe than we can otherwise perceive.
Don

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:22 pm

DonB312 wrote: Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:02 am I see some posts saying the image is a fake. However, I am having trouble seeing anything fake about it. The foreground appears to have been accurately placed over the background. The objects in the foreground (building, telescope, forest, etc.) are actually there. The sky image is showing what is actually there. Granted, if we stood there and looked at this scene with our own eyes we wouldn't see all that we see in this photo. But I think of that as a case where the photo shows more of reality than our own eyes show us. I am so glad we have technology and techniques (including compositing) and people skilled at using them to show us much more of the real universe than we can otherwise perceive.
Well said!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}