APOD: Perseverance Sol 354 (2022 Feb 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Perseverance Sol 354 (2022 Feb 25)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Feb 25, 2022 5:05 am

Image Perseverance Sol 354

Explanation: This Navcam mosaic from Perseverance looks out over the car-sized rover's deck, across the floor of Jezero crater on Mars. Frames used to construct the mosaic view were captured on mission sol 354. That corresponds to Earth calendar date February 17, 2022, nearly one Earth year after the rover's landing. With a mass of over 1,000 kilograms, six-wheeled Perseverance is the heaviest rover to touch down on Mars. During its first year of exploration the rover has collected six (so far) rock core samples for later return to planet Earth, served as the base station for Ingenuity, the first helicopter on Mars, and tested MOXIE (Mars Oxygen In-Situ Resource Utilization Experiment), converting some of the Red Planet’s thin, carbon dioxide-rich atmosphere into oxygen.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Perseverance Sol 354 (2022 Feb 25)

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:23 pm

PerseveranceSol354Nav1_1br2_KenKremer1024.jpg
My; my! A year? where does the time go? :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:20 pm

Happy birthday to Persey and Genie.This is a layman question. I suppose after one year on Mars, Martian winter must be coming up soon. That is I presume they would land Perseverance on Mars in early spring to get the longest possible mission times before winter sets in. So I know that the seasons on Mars are twice as long as on Earth, and after 1 year of spring, summer, and autumn, I presume winter is due up. Is that correct? Don't tell me to look it up on the web, I know I can, I'm just making a conversation.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:23 pm

De58te wrote: Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:20 pm Happy birthday to Persey and Genie.This is a layman question. I suppose after one year on Mars, Martian winter must be coming up soon. That is I presume they would land Perseverance on Mars in early spring to get the longest possible mission times before winter sets in. So I know that the seasons on Mars are twice as long as on Earth, and after 1 year of spring, summer, and autumn, I presume winter is due up. Is that correct? Don't tell me to look it up on the web, I know I can, I'm just making a conversation.
I don't think the season matters much to the operation of this device, however.

It landed just after the spring equinox, and we're now at the autumn equinox. https://www.planetary.org/articles/mars-calendar
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com