APOD: Supernova Remnant: The Veil Nebula (2022 Jun 22)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Supernova Remnant: The Veil Nebula (2022 Jun 22)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:05 am

Image Supernova Remnant: The Veil Nebula

Explanation: Ten thousand years ago, before the dawn of recorded human history, a new light would have suddenly have appeared in the night sky and faded after a few weeks. Today we know this light was from a supernova, or exploding star, and record the expanding debris cloud as the Veil Nebula, a supernova remnant. Imaged with color filters featuring light emitted by sulfur (red), hydrogen (green), and oxygen (blue), this deep wide-angle view was processed to remove the stars and so better capture the impressive glowing filaments of the Veil. Also known as the Cygnus Loop, the Veil Nebula is roughly circular in shape and covers nearly 3 degrees on the sky toward the constellation of the Swan (Cygnus). Famous nebular sections include the Bat Nebula, the Witch's Broom Nebula, and Fleming's Triangular Wisp. The complete supernova remnant lies about 1,400 light-years away.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Re: APOD: Supernova Remnant: The Veil Nebula (2022 Jun 22)

Post by alter-ego » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:21 am

Wow, never have seen the Veil quite like that before. Very mesmerizing - I immersed myself so deep into the dark, secretive face / faces behind the electrified head of hair that I never realized there were no stars until I read the description.
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

madtom1999
Ensign

Post by madtom1999 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 am

Can I be the first to name the RHS of the nebula as the Salmon (head down)?

AstroLux
Asternaut

Post by AstroLux » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:30 am

Can you even call this an astrophoto anymore , this image has been manipulated so much it looks more like an oil painting than real data. Yes its starless, but the nebulosity is so badly denoised and processed, sure if you are looking from a phone screen looks ok, but put this on the big screen and it falls apart as soon as you zoom in. Im really dissapointed that this has been a recent trend for APOD, overly denoised and so much manipulated images from the real data and real life. I would assume that images that are put as APODs are at least being judged based on their looks on a monitor or in a big resolution and not from a far. I have no problem with this "astrophoto" , i see it as a problem for being an Astronomy image of the day , especially given that this processed data has been shot from a remote observatory and you would only assume observatory data doesnt have to be manipulated that much to look good. But i guess the only thing going for this image is the unique look.

Eclectic Man
Ensign

Post by Eclectic Man » Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:14 am

"before the dawn of recorded human history,"

Well, the oldest know petroglyphs are around 40,000 years old, some in Australia are about 20,000 years old (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroglyph ). Just because we do not know how to read them does not mean they are not 'recorded history'. Some oral history in Australia is reckoned to refer to events such as significant sea level rise occurring over 10,000 years ago (https://theconversation.com/ancient-abo ... evel-36010 ).

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 pm

Veil_Stocks_1080_annotated.jpg
Beautiful photo; I love it! It is though; what some see in nebulae;
some i can see; 8-) others, not so much! :shock:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:23 pm

Maybe we shoud think about whether the visible fragments really all come from the supernova explosion, or whether this also makes PRE-EXISTING structures visible. In this case the "curls" of the great Cygnus cloud. I think, this would be an exciting research topic 4 the future.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/521 ... f8a8_k.jpg

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/521 ... 2e3a_o.jpg

Jac Berne (flickr) Composit Collage from different sources in Combination with IR-Data's (IRIS & more)
Last edited by AVAO on Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:43 am, edited 3 times in total.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:48 pm

madtom1999 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:30 am Can I be the first to name the RHS of the nebula as the Salmon (head down)?
Good call! I dare say it might even be a Sockeye!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}