APOD: Apollo 11 Landing Panorama (2022 Jul 23)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Apollo 11 Landing Panorama (2022 Jul 23)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:05 am

Image Apollo 11 Landing Panorama

Explanation: Have you seen a panorama from another world lately? Assembled from high-resolution scans of the original film frames, this one sweeps across the magnificent desolation of the Apollo 11 landing site on the Moon's Sea of Tranquility. The images were taken by Neil Armstrong looking out his window of the Eagle Lunar Module shortly after the July 20, 1969 landing. The frame at the far left (AS11-37-5449) is the first picture taken by a person on another world. Toward the south, thruster nozzles can be seen in the foreground on the left, while at the right, the shadow of the Eagle is visible to the west. For scale, the large, shallow crater on the right has a diameter of about 12 meters. Frames taken from the Lunar Module windows about an hour and a half after landing, before walking on the lunar surface, were intended to initially document the landing site in case an early departure was necessary.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

RocketRon

Re: APOD: Apollo 11 Landing Panorama (2022 Jul 23)

Post by RocketRon » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:00 am

Was any special filtering required on the camera lens - the UV (and x-rays ?) would be ferocious ?
And for the humans ...

bls0326
Science Officer

Post by bls0326 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:25 pm

The "Assembled from high-resolution scans" link leads to an Apollo 11 Multimedia Library. Quite a photo documentation of the Apollo 11 event.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:05 pm

AS11-36-5324.jpg
It would be an awesome feeling seeing Earth fade away; watching
as your spaceship took out to the vast emptiness of space! 8-)
AS11-44-6555.jpg
Mommy; take me back home! :ohno:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:33 pm

As the primary intent here is aesthetic, it would make sense to remove the fiducials (which could certainly be helpful in producing the panorama, but serve no purpose in the final image, are distracting, and are trivially removed).
_
a11pan1040226lftsm_nofids.jpg
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bls0326
Science Officer

Post by bls0326 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:43 pm

RocketRon wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:00 am Was any special filtering required on the camera lens - the UV (and x-rays ?) would be ferocious ?
And for the humans ...
A page from a NASA article about the cameras, film, etc.

Link to the full article
https://www.hq.nasa.gov/alsj/a11/a11nssdc70-06.html
Attachments
nssdc70-06-02.jpg

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:59 pm

RocketRon wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:00 am Was any special filtering required on the camera lens - the UV (and x-rays ?) would be ferocious ?
And for the humans ...
Lenses don't allow much UV to pass, and the films weren't particularly sensitive to it. So not an issue. X-rays would be more likely to hit the film through the camera structure as opposed to the lens. But most of the radiation is soft enough that it won't penetrate that deeply into a camera.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:04 pm

thought exercise. This scene and location will no doubt will be a museum site in the distant future. Probably the MOST FAMOUS space museum in the Solar System. Whether it is 150 years in the future or 500 years. Tourist will flock there just like they flock to the Pyramids of Giza or to Mecca today. I wonder what they will do to keep the future tourists footprints off the ground from contaminating Armstrong and Aldrins footprints? Perhaps build floating antigravity walkways with glass bottoms so the tourist can look at Armstrongs footprint close up.. Who knows but anyways a photograph of the site 500 years from now will make the view really unimaginably different then what we see today!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:12 pm

De58te wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:04 pm thought exercise. This scene and location will no doubt will be a museum site in the distant future. Probably the MOST FAMOUS space museum in the Solar System. Whether it is 150 years in the future or 500 years. Tourist will flock there just like they flock to the Pyramids of Giza or to Mecca today. I wonder what they will do to keep the future tourists footprints off the ground from contaminating Armstrong and Aldrins footprints? Perhaps build floating antigravity walkways with glass bottoms so the tourist can look at Armstrongs footprint close up.. Who knows but anyways a photograph of the site 500 years from now will make the view really unimaginably different then what we see today!
The most common scifi scenario has the area walled off or domed over, with views through windows.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:37 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:59 pm
And for the humans ...
Lenses don't allow much UV to pass, and the films weren't particularly sensitive to it. So not an issue. X-rays would be more likely to hit the film through the camera structure as opposed to the lens. But most of the radiation is soft enough that it won't penetrate that deeply into a camera.
"X-rays would be more likely to hit the film through the camera structure as opposed to the lens." - and why is that? Because the moon would be blocking them from the direction of the lens?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:33 pm As the primary intent here is aesthetic, it would make sense to remove the fiducials (which could certainly be helpful in producing the panorama, but serve no purpose in the final image, are distracting, and are trivially removed).
_
PixInsight? Even more noticeable fiducials are visible in that other linked-to APOD as well.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:39 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 2:33 pm As the primary intent here is aesthetic, it would make sense to remove the fiducials (which could certainly be helpful in producing the panorama, but serve no purpose in the final image, are distracting, and are trivially removed).
_
PixInsight? Even more noticeable fiducials are visible in that other linked-to APOD as well.
For that I just used Photoshop. Selected one of the fiducials, saved the selection, and repeatedly placed the selection over the remaining ones and used the context-aware fill tool. Didn't take five minutes.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:12 pm
De58te wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:04 pm thought exercise. This scene and location will no doubt will be a museum site in the distant future. Probably the MOST FAMOUS space museum in the Solar System. Whether it is 150 years in the future or 500 years. Tourist will flock there just like they flock to the Pyramids of Giza or to Mecca today. I wonder what they will do to keep the future tourists footprints off the ground from contaminating Armstrong and Aldrins footprints? Perhaps build floating antigravity walkways with glass bottoms so the tourist can look at Armstrongs footprint close up.. Who knows but anyways a photograph of the site 500 years from now will make the view really unimaginably different then what we see today!
The most common scifi scenario has the area walled off or domed over, with views through windows.
More likely they will do that after space influencers and DimbDumb*-kids ruined the place for cheap shots. Then the place will have to be elaborately restored after protests of the public and then put under the protective cover.

*) trending app following the success of its predecessors HamJam, BrainDrain, WipWop and TikTok
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:58 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:24 pm
_
For that I just used Photoshop. Selected one of the fiducials, saved the selection, and repeatedly placed the selection over the remaining ones and used the context-aware fill tool. Didn't take five minutes.
I guess Photoshop is smart enough to do a "select by contiguous color" or some such thing? I've never used PS - all I have is GIMP. and I find that to be as unintuitive as it gets.
--

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:00 pm

Astronymus wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 pm
More likely they will do that after space influencers and DimbDumb*-kids ruined the place for cheap shots. Then the place will have to be elaborately restored after protests of the public and then put under the protective cover.

*) trending app following the success of its predecessors HamJam, BrainDrain, WipWop and TikTok
You left out the TimeSink app! :-)
--

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:00 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:58 pm

I guess Photoshop is smart enough to do a "select by contiguous color" or some such thing? I've never used PS - all I have is GIMP. and I find that to be as unintuitive as it gets.
I manually drew the selection area, then used that selection repeatedly. Photoshop's context-aware fill is semi-miraculous. It constructs new pixels based on the structure that is outside the selection area. Most of the time it does it extremely well. And in an image like this, where so few pixels are being modified, artifacts are well below our normal perceptual ability.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:00 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:58 pm

I manually drew the selection area, then used that selection repeatedly. Photoshop's context-aware fill is semi-miraculous. It constructs new pixels based on the structure that is outside the selection area. Most of the time it does it extremely well. And in an image like this, where so few pixels are being modified, artifacts are well below our normal perceptual ability.
Neat!
--

Astronymus
Science Officer
AKA: Astro

Post by Astronymus » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:40 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:00 pm
Astronymus wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 7:55 pm

You left out the TimeSink app! :-)
Yes, of course! My mistake. Thanks. :oops:
»Only a dead Earth is a good Earth.«

DL MARTIN

Post by DL MARTIN » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:40 pm

My reaction to seeing the Earth so isolated was, indeed, there IS no free lunch.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:04 pm

DL MARTIN wrote: Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:40 pm My reaction to seeing the Earth so isolated was, indeed, there IS no free lunch.
Except maybe for universes. From https://bigthink.com/videos/a-universe-is-a-free-lunch/. It’s Michio Kaku’s popularization attempt, but his source is probably Alan Guth (one of the fathers of The Inflationary Theory of the Universe - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_(cosmology):
How can you create a universe from nothing? Well if you calculate the total matter of the universe it is positive. If you calculate the total energy of the universe it is negative because of gravity. Gravity has negative energy. When you add the two together what do you get? Zero, so it takes no energy to create a universe. Universes are for free. A universe is a free lunch. And then you may say to yourself well that can't be right because positive and negative charges don't cancel out, therefore, how can the universe be made out of nothing. Well if you calculate the total amount of positive charge in the universe and calculate the total amount of negative charge in the universe and you add it up what do you get? Zero, the universe has zero charge. Well what about spin? Galaxies spin, right? But they spin in all directions. If you add up all the spins of the galaxies what do you get? Zero, so in other words, the universe has zero spin, zero charge and zero matter energy content. In other words, the universe is for free.
--

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:57 am

_
Yes, this scene on Selene is much more serene
with the fiducials unseen, having been skillfully screened.
Mark Goldfain

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:27 pm

MarkBour wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 7:57 am
_
Yes, this scene on Selene is much more serene
with the fiducials unseen, having been skillfully screened.
:ssmile:
--