APOD: Saturn in Infrared from Cassini (2022 Jul 24)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Saturn in Infrared from Cassini (2022 Jul 24)

Post by APOD Robot » Sun Jul 24, 2022 4:05 am

Image Saturn in Infrared from Cassini

Explanation: Many details of Saturn appear clearly in infrared light. Bands of clouds show great structure, including long stretching storms. Also quite striking in infrared is the unusual hexagonal cloud pattern surrounding Saturn's North Pole. Each side of the dark hexagon spans roughly the width of our Earth. The hexagon's existence was not predicted, and its origin and likely stability remains a topic of research. Saturn's famous rings circle the planet and cast shadows below the equator. The featured image was taken by the robotic Cassini spacecraft in 2014 in several infrared colors. In 2017 September, the Cassini mission was brought to a dramatic conclusion when the spacecraft was directed to dive into ringed giant.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

VictorBorun
Captain

Re: APOD: Saturn in Infrared from Cassini (2022 Jul 24)

Post by VictorBorun » Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:40 am

I tried and failed to google the colour coding :(

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:45 pm

I got to playing with the Cassini probe! Hoping I could transfer it to my post! :evil:
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/missions/c ... pacecraft/
dog-with-glasses.jpg
dog-with-glasses.jpg (13.31 KiB) Viewed 2710 times
Doggie busy researching! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:26 pm

VictorBorun wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:40 am I tried and failed to google the colour coding :(
There's a description in the infrared link in the APOD explanation. But even that is confusing because they show two examples of the dog in infrared. The first one we are mostly familiar with from Flir cameras. The hottest light is the bright yellow of the dog's eyes and tongue. The coldest is dark purple. However in the second one the hottest is red, while yellow seems to be cooler. The second one also has a bright blue color which is absent in the first. Apparently blue is a colder region than red or yellow, but it is still warmer than dark purple.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:36 pm

De58te wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:26 pm
VictorBorun wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:40 am I tried and failed to google the colour coding :(
There's a description in the infrared link in the APOD explanation. But even that is confusing because they show two examples of the dog in infrared. The first one we are mostly familiar with from Flir cameras. The hottest light is the bright yellow of the dog's eyes and tongue. The coldest is dark purple. However in the second one the hottest is red, while yellow seems to be cooler. The second one also has a bright blue color which is absent in the first. Apparently blue is a colder region than red or yellow, but it is still warmer than dark purple.
The furthest into the IR that the Cassini camera could see was 1 um. That's not thermal IR, just deep red, really. We're seeing reflected IR, not emitted IR.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:40 pm

If it were not for the fabulous rings, Saturn would be just another Uranus or Neptune. But those rings ARE fabulous!

Zuben L. Genubi

Post by Zuben L. Genubi » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:42 pm

Logical explanation for the hexagonal formation at Saturn's north pole--it's a giant snowflake.

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

Post by XgeoX » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:31 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:36 pm
De58te wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:26 pm
The furthest into the IR that the Cassini camera could see was 1 um. That's not thermal IR, just deep red, really. We're seeing reflected IR, not emitted IR.
Thanks, I always though it could see into the thermal. Stunning image nonetheless.

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire