Pets

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Pets

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Dec 02, 2020 1:10 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:34 pm Bojo's search
IMG_0785 (2).JPG
through "white" matter
IMG_0788.JPG
yields only a "fine" cone :ssmile:
IMG_0789 (2).JPG
The hunt goes on! :wink:
Your dogs are quite playful! :wink: Must be a lot of fun!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Jerome68
Ensign

Post by Jerome68 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:34 pm Bojo's search
IMG_0785 (2).JPG
through "white" matter
IMG_0788.JPG
yields only a "fine" cone :ssmile:
IMG_0789 (2).JPG
The hunt goes on! :wink:
haha omg, one of the best dogpic I have seen for a long time xDD, does he got satisfied by the hunting? :ssmile:

KayBur
Ensign

Post by KayBur » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:30 pm

You have wonderful pets! Each is beautiful and interesting in its own way. I am sure everyone has an absolutely individual character and special habits. In my life I have not yet seen a single animal that behaves 100% identical to the way another animal behaves.

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:39 pm

KayBur wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:30 pm You have wonderful pets! Each is beautiful and interesting in its own way. I am sure everyone has an absolutely individual character and special habits. In my life I have not yet seen a single animal that behaves 100% identical to the way another animal behaves.
You are correct. :thumb_up: Bojo's brother Brutus is totally different; both in his looks and demeanor.
IMG_0768.JPG

His eye shows a pretty day in McCall, Idaho's Ponderosa Park.
IMG_0768 (2).JPG
The snow and sunshine reflected it! :yes:
IMG_0759 (3).JPG
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

THX1138
Emailed Bob; Got a new title!
AKA: Wile-e-coyote super genius

Post by THX1138 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 am

Speaking of pets now, well I've been working on a book for just about two years now and it consists of the most outlandish, off the wall and borderline crazy ads that you can imagine; and some you can't imagine, nevertheless where the ads themselves may have some comedic value in and of themselves I believe the true humor rests with the replies that I've received from some of my ads.
The following ad I posted in the Pasadena, San Marino and Altadena areas some time ago, it's a lost and found ad. Lost 4' 9" Caiman named smiley.
I am asking the public to please be on the look-out for my missing guard dog / gator named Smiley as he seems to have escaped my back yard once again and should should anyone see him to please notify the police immediately as they have already been advised of the situation and at this time are seeking information about his whereabouts NOTE: If you spot him do not approach it because he will immediately bite you and also if you have any cats or dogs keep those away from him as well, smiley is very fond of eating cats.
Now I'm certain you can imagine the uproar this caused in the community LOL and if anyone should ask I will post some of the replies I received from the public but for now I'm only going to tell you about one of the replies I got, I received this email after the ad had been running for about four days. This is the Pasadena police department and we are giving you just 24 hours to post a retraction of this ad or you are going to face numerous charges such as, well they named off a good handful of penal codes.
So I thought about it for a few hours and then posted this retraction. RE: The missing Caiman, Thank you all of you who saw my ad and were keeping your eyes open for my Smiley for me moreover I really appreciate all of the Emails I received
(LOL, no one except those of you reading this right now knows how much I appreciate those Emails) I then went on to say that I was so very sorry I frightened so many people with my lost and found ad but that I was very happy to report that my smiley was never missing after all as it was under my house the whole time, then also stating the fact that I have discovered that my smiley is a female and not a male so I had hence forth re-named it Shirley. where I finished of my retraction saying that now all I had to do was figure out how to keep 11 small cat eating Caiman from escaping my yard but promising to notify the police the second that happens, should it happen.
I held my breath and crossed my fingers and to date I have not heard from the Pasadena PD nor the FBI.
Good day
Oh by the way I do have a cat that I named Rex and a German Sheppard that I call Puff
I've come to the conclusion that when i said i wanted to be somebody when i grew up i probably should have been more specific

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:17 pm

THX1138 wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:28 am
Oh by the way I do have a cat that I named Rex and a German Sheppard that I call Puff
I do hope Rex & Puff get along! :wink:
Orin

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 3:38 am

Five and fully alive, the boys are focused!
IMG_1126 (2).JPG
Makes you wonder if they sense time flying by? :|
IMG_1129 (2).JPG

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:17 pm

Stupid question time! Are they the same breed? The one looks a lot hairier than the other! :oops:
Orin

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:11 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:17 pm Stupid question time! Are they the same breed? The one looks a lot hairier than the other! :oops:
Not a bad question at all. For being brothers, they look quite different and their personalities are unique. Their dad was a parti Poodle and mom was a black Labrador Retriever. Our daughter found them out of desire to train the boys for use at schools and nursing homes. Originally they came from a breeder in South Dakota. :thumb_up:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:33 pm

Fred the Cat wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:11 pm
orin stepanek wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:17 pm Stupid question time! Are they the same breed? The one looks a lot hairier than the other! :oops:
Not a bad question at all. For being brothers, they look quite different and their personalities are unique. Their dad was a parti Poodle and mom was a black Labrador Retriever. Our daughter found them out of desire to train the boys for use at schools and nursing homes. Originally they came from a breeder in South Dakota. :thumb_up:
O.K. I can see the poodle in the one & the Black Lab in the other by their noses and hair! Beautiful dogs! Of course I love dogs; their demeaner is most human like! :lol2:
Orin

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:10 pm

My son was preparing some garden today; he came in the back door and took off his shoe! what's wrong? My wife asked him!
He said; I think I stepped in Magic's Poo; It's on the bottom of my shoe! Oh; and it stuck just like glue! :mrgreen: 👞 💩
Orin

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun May 02, 2021 2:11 am

Bo's 'bo :ssmile:
IMG_1411 (3).JPG
But does he see what we do? :roll:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun May 02, 2021 4:43 am

Fred the Cat wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 2:11 am Bo's 'bo :ssmile:
But does he see what we do? :roll:
The rainbow would be less impressive to Bo than to us.

Almost all mammals, except some monkeys and apes (and obviously humans), are color-blind in the same way as Bo. That is, they can't see red or orange.

A few days ago I saw a David Attenborough documentary on color in nature, and here we were told why tigers are orange. They are orange because to red- and orange-blind animals, like antelopes and other favorite prey of the tiger, the big cat's orange color looks exactly the same as the green shrubs surrounding it.

"The tiger doesn't know that it's orange", said David Attenborough. "But because it's stalking dichromatic prey, its color provides the perfect camouflage."

Ann
Color Commentator

rogerbell1990
Ensign

Post by rogerbell1990 » Mon May 03, 2021 7:31 am

starstruck wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:18 pm
the kittens.jpg
Four of ours all came as a 'job-lot', together, a litter from a friends farm too. We were originally only going to have two, but when it came down to choosing, we didn't have the heart to split them up!

This picture was taken about 7 years ago, when they were about three months old. Although all grown up nowadays, we still collectively call them "the kittens", just by force of habit.

The one at the front, resting her chin on the chair is Mia (aka Chunky Monkey), then Becky (Bex) on the left, Sabina (Sabster) right and Ginger Bob (or GB) fearlessly hiding behind his three sisters!

With that little group of four tear-aways you can imagine what the curtains and upholstery looked like within pretty short order! :roll: :lol:
These cats are love and looking so nice :) . i would like to have each of them if i have space cz due to covid i have to change my house and now i am living in shared so i cannot afford any of them hopefully the situation will be normal soon and will get a cat soon.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon May 03, 2021 10:07 pm

IMG_0526.JPG
Magic hanging around the kitchen hoping for some droppings! :lol2:
I forgot to turn off the flash; so her eyes are bright! :D I do that a lot!
Orin

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:15 pm

Snowshoeing this weekend
IMG_3754 (2).JPG
someone had a ball.
IMG_3722.JPG
Which is what he turned into
IMG_3770.JPG
at the end of his day! :yes:

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty

Post by Fred the Cat » Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:40 pm

IMG_4020 (2).JPG
6 years old today and still ready to play. (As soon as the picture's done) :wink:

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:58 am

Neighbor's Trampoline Dog!
IMG_0556.JPG
He jumps up there every day! Today he wad rolling non his back up there! :lol2:
Orin

Joseph Hedhli Buell
Ensign
AKA: يوسف هذلي

Teddy

Post by Joseph Hedhli Buell » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:19 am

My cat, Teddy, 4 years old:

Code: Select all

print("Joseph Hedhli Buell")

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:43 pm

I'm heartbroken; Magic passed suddenly at 11:30 this A.M. I don't know what I'll do; I feel I'm too old to get another dog! She tried desperately to get her last breath!
Orin

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:53 am

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:43 pm I'm heartbroken; Magic passed suddenly at 11:30 this A.M. I don't know what I'll do; I feel I'm too old to get another dog! She tried desperately to get her last breath!
I'm so sorry! :( :puppy: :cry:

Ann
Color Commentator

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:35 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:43 pm I'm heartbroken; Magic passed suddenly at 11:30 this A.M. I don't know what I'll do; I feel I'm too old to get another dog! She tried desperately to get her last breath!
So tough to lose a pet. Sorry.

But you're never too old for another. They help keep you young. Just pick one that's within your physical means, and make sure you've got somebody who will take care of it if necessary. Then go for it.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Galatic Spacewarp
Ensign

Post by Galatic Spacewarp » Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:59 pm

WOW! THAT DOG IS THE BEST DOG I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! *switches to cat memes*

XgeoX
Science Officer
AKA: Uncle Rico

APOD: Tiangong Space Station Transits the Moon (2022 Aug 25)

Post by XgeoX » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am

Hi everyone,
Forgive me but I just wanted you to know of the passing of my kitty Scrappy. She was 17 and she spent uncountable hours stargazing with me and snuggling with me as I read astronomy texts and APOD😺 She was my family and my best friend and I will miss her. I just wanted to share this with you my APOD friends.
Thanks for letting me share…

I will miss her terribly…

Eric
Ego vigilate
Ego audire

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Tiangong Space Station Transits the Moon (2022 Aug 25)

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:24 pm

XgeoX wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:31 am Hi everyone,
Forgive me but I just wanted you to know of the passing of my kitty Scrappy. She was 17 and she spent uncountable hours stargazing with me and snuggling with me as I read astronomy texts and APOD😺 She was my family and my best friend and I will miss her. I just wanted to share this with you my APOD friends.
Thanks for letting me share…

I will miss her terribly…

Eric
A pet is family! I understand your loss!
Orin