APOD: Interstellar Voyager (2022 Sep 09)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Interstellar Voyager (2022 Sep 09)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Sep 09, 2022 4:06 am

Image Interstellar Voyager

Explanation: Voyager 1 and Voyager 2 were launched in 1977 on a grand tour of the outer planets of the Solar System. They have become the longest operating and most distant spacecraft from Earth. Both have traveled beyond the heliosphere, the realm defined by the influence of the solar wind and the Sun's magnetic field. On the 45th year of their journey toward the stars Voyager 1 and 2 reached nearly 22 light-hours and 18 light-hours from the Sun respectively and remain the only spacecraft currently exploring interstellar space. Each spacecraft carries a 12-inch gold-plated copper disk with recordings of sounds, pictures and messages. The Golden Records are intended to communicate a story of life and culture on planet Earth, preserved in a medium that can survive an interstellar journey for a billion years.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Interstellar Voyager (2022 Sep 09)

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:26 pm

voyager_modern_poster_crop.jpg
I still remember the tour; how exciting to see these planets
up close! The most interesting for me was the closeups of Io!
That was a great achievement for man! :clap: :thumb_up:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:48 pm

Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

martello
Asternaut

Post by martello » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:07 pm

"The Golden Records are intended to communicate a story of life and culture on planet Earth." Carl Sagan great scientist and teacher but he was assuming that whoever comes across these records is friendly because the records contain our home address. :roll:

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:24 pm

martello wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:07 pm "The Golden Records are intended to communicate a story of life and culture on planet Earth." Carl Sagan great scientist and teacher but he was assuming that whoever comes across these records is friendly because the records contain our home address. :roll:
Yeah, well... Space is a pretty good place to get lost or to overlook a wee planet, you know?

Ann
Color Commentator

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:43 pm

It may happen that the "aliens" do not have the human feelings of competition and domination

God save the probe

Post by God save the probe » Fri Sep 09, 2022 11:41 pm

What a beautiful minimalist painting. How well it captures (I think) the lonely traveller, spinning quietly 600 million years from now (and still then at the beginning of its trip). Like HAL 9000 said in A Space Odyssey as Dave was unplugging it, "will I be dreaming?" The probe's silhouette looks alien, and yet familiar; maybe even a bit Christic.

I've also seen somewhere (where?) a painting of Voyager in the far future, all pitted and disarticulated by eons of radiation and micrometeoroids. But this one is serene. I find it very soothing. The anonymous poster, downloadable along with rather less inspired ones at https://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/downloads, also gets the 1980s look, still a little psychedelic. Pity it's only credited to "JPL/Caltech".

And wow, speaking of the Voyagers, did I go nuts when the V1 pictures of Jupiter landed in 1979. I had missed the Apollos but I didn't miss Pioneer 10/11 and the Voyagers. The near-total lack of information on the outer solar system had been so frustrating, just the dim fluffballs which P10/11 had shown us around Jupiter and Saturn, with their vague hints of pastel colors, were stuff to contemplate and fantasize about. So, the shock when V1 resolved them into Io and Europa in all their glory. Getting hold of those photos back then wasn't so easy, and I bought every magazine in sight in the hope that one of them would have a photo I hadn't seen. I sent complicated money orders around the world for boxes of slides - the 35 mm film ones, in their little cardboard jackets, for which you needed a projector - that would magically arrive from remote California, full of moons and rings and clouds, and would then treat my school, holiday camps and any venue that didn't say no, to a lecture on the prodigies of Jupiter. Most people agreed it was cool and weird beyond most things in your daily experience.

It didn't hurt that Star Wars and the Space Shuttle were also in play at the time. But Jupiter and its bizarre collection of marbles, all different and utterly unexpected, suddenly made the universe more interesting and complex. It was a revelation. So godspeed, Voyagers, and thank you.