APOD: Equinox Sunrise Around the World (2022 Sep 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Equinox Sunrise Around the World (2022 Sep 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:05 am

Image Equinox Sunrise Around the World

Explanation: A planet-wide collaboration resulted in this remarkable array of sunrise photographs taken around the September 2022 equinox. The images were contributed by 24 photographers, one in each of 24 nautical time zones around the world. Unlike more complicated civil time zone boundaries, the 24 nautical time zones are simply 15 degree longitude bands corresponding to 1 hour steps that span the globe. Start at the upper right for the first to experience a sunrise in the nautical time zone corresponding to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) + 12 hours. In that time zone, the photographer was located in Christchurch, New Zealand. Travel to the west by looking down the column and then moving to the column toward the left for later sunrises as the time zone offset in hours from UTC decreases. Or, you can watch a video of September 2022 equinox sunrises around planet Earth.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

msangler

Re: APOD: Equinox Sunrise Around the World (2022 Sep 30)

Post by msangler » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:21 am

I think you have an error at UTC-4 as it says "CA".

FLPhotoCatcher
Science Officer

Post by FLPhotoCatcher » Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:45 am

msangler wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:21 am I think you have an error at UTC-4 as it says "CA".
I thought the same at first. I thought CA meant California.
Per wiki: "Eastern Passage is an unincorporated suburban community in Halifax Regional Municipality Nova Scotia, Canada."

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:56 pm

SunriseATWImageCollageFinal1067.jpg
Sunsets make wonderful wallpaper backgrounds for your PC! 😄
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:11 pm

FLPhotoCatcher wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:45 am
msangler wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:21 am I think you have an error at UTC-4 as it says "CA".
Per wiki: "Eastern Passage is an unincorporated suburban community in Halifax Regional Municipality Nova Scotia, Canada."
You think that’s confusing? I grew up in Ontario, CA — that is, in the province of Ontario in the country of Canada, not the city of Ontario in the state of California. (By the way, I have for decades lived fairly close to Eastern Passage, CA.)

Rob

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:34 pm

I love to think of our ancestors, who (LIKE US) looked at what they experienced, and wondered, well, WTF? We still do! But, we have discovered WONDERS, both observationally AND theoretically, about the world: It ROTATES. It GOES AROUND THE SUN. Read Galileo, to recall how tough this was. Today we are blessed with quantum mechanics and relativity. The BIG TWO. Whew!

heehaw

Post by heehaw » Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:17 pm

The Sun does come up, quite reliably. 10,000 years ago we looked at it, and wondered....

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:42 pm

rstevenson wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:11 pm
FLPhotoCatcher wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:45 am
You think that’s confusing? I grew up in Ontario, CA — that is, in the province of Ontario in the country of Canada, not the city of Ontario in the state of California. (By the way, I have for decades lived fairly close to Eastern Passage, CA.)

Rob
And I had a business in Ontario, CA - that is, in the city of Ontario in the state of California. Got some curiously misdirected shipments from time to time.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com