APOD: Jupiter's Europa from Spacecraft Juno (2022 Oct 03)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Jupiter's Europa from Spacecraft Juno (2022 Oct 03)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:08 am

Image Jupiter's Europa from Spacecraft Juno

Explanation: What mysteries might be solved by peering into this crystal ball? In this case, the ball is actually a moon of Jupiter, the crystals are ice, and the moon is not only dirty but cracked beyond repair. Nevertheless, speculation is rampant that oceans exist under Europa's fractured ice-plains that could support life. Europa, roughly the size of Earth's Moon, is pictured here in an image taken a few days ago when the Jupiter-orbiting robotic spacecraft Juno passed within 325 kilometers of its streaked and shifting surface. Underground oceans are thought likely because Europa undergoes global flexing due to its changing gravitational attraction with Jupiter during its slightly elliptical orbit, and this flexing heats the interior. Studying Juno's close-up images may further humanity's understanding not only of Europa and the early Solar System but also of the possibility that life exists elsewhere in the universe.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: APOD: Jupiter's Europa from Spacecraft Juno (2022 Oct 03)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:04 pm

Europa_JunoLuck_1080.jpg
Aren't there other moons with oceans that might harbor life? :roll:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:06 pm

Nice! First pic of Europa from Juno! Twenty years after the last close-up from Galileo in 2000. Will Juno be making more passes, or is this the one and only? I read the links, but that didn't seem to be mentioned.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

alter-ego
Serendipitous Sleuthhound

Post by alter-ego » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:48 am

johnnydeep wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:06 pm Nice! First pic of Europa from Juno! Twenty years after the last close-up from Galileo in 2000. Will Juno be making more passes, or is this the one and only? I read the links, but that didn't seem to be mentioned.
Yes, more flybys will happen. In its extended mission now, counting this pass, the planned Jovian moon passes will be Ganymede (2), Europa (3), and Io (11).
A pessimist is nothing more than an experienced optimist

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:20 am

alter-ego wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:48 am
johnnydeep wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:06 pm Nice! First pic of Europa from Juno! Twenty years after the last close-up from Galileo in 2000. Will Juno be making more passes, or is this the one and only? I read the links, but that didn't seem to be mentioned.
Yes, more flybys will happen. In its extended mission now, counting this pass, the planned Jovian moon passes will be Ganymede (2), Europa (3), and Io (11).
Wonderful!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:07 am

I wonder how can the cracks be skew lines like grade separation.
Are there transparent layers of ice that were being formed and cracked at different stages of history?

MarkBour
Subtle Signal

Post by MarkBour » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:45 am

Just an odd set of thoughts here. If Europa has enough energy being imparted to it, then the subsurface water could indeed be liquid. I don't know if it's proper to call that an ocean, but for want of a better term, then, yes, an "encased ocean". Does this make life likely? Since we don't know quite how life formed for our one example, we end up pretty unsure of the likelihood.

My particular thought is that we don't know whether material that came from space was important on Earth to help life get going. If that were true, then Europa being an enclosed environment might lack the opportunity for life to start up there. Or it might make it a lot harder, for a spark to happen.
Mark Goldfain

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:49 am

MarkBour wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:45 am Just an odd set of thoughts here. If Europa has enough energy being imparted to it, then the subsurface water could indeed be liquid. I don't know if it's proper to call that an ocean, but for want of a better term, then, yes, an "encased ocean". Does this make life likely? Since we don't know quite how life formed for our one example, we end up pretty unsure of the likelihood.

My particular thought is that we don't know whether material that came from space was important on Earth to help life get going. If that were true, then Europa being an enclosed environment might lack the opportunity for life to start up there. Or it might make it a lot harder, for a spark to happen.
The material that came from space and may have been very important for life to form appears to originate mostly in the outer ice bodies. Europa probably doesn't need to get these things from space... it's a source of them!
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com