APOD: Planet Earth from Orion (2022 Nov 17)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Planet Earth from Orion (2022 Nov 17)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Nov 17, 2022 5:08 am

Image Planet Earth from Orion

Explanation: A Space Launch System rocket left planet Earth on Wednesday, November 16 at 1:47am EST carrying the Orion spacecraft on the Artemis 1 mission, the first integrated test of NASA’s deep space exploration systems. Over an hour after liftoff from Kennedy Space Center's historic Launch Complex 39B, one of Orion's external video cameras captured this view of its new perspective from space. In the foreground are Orion's Orbital Maneuvering System engine and auxillary engines, at the bottom of the European Service Module. Beyond one of the module's 7-meter long extended solar array wings lies the spacecraft's beautiful home world. The Artemis 1 mission will last almost four weeks, testing capabilities to enable human exploration of the Moon and Mars. The uncrewed Orion spacecraft is expected to fly by the Moon on November 21, performing a close approach to the lunar surface on its way to a retrograde orbit 70,000 kilometers beyond the Moon.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

DL MARTIN

Re: APOD: Planet Earth from Orion (2022 Nov 17)

Post by DL MARTIN » Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:46 am

The first time I saw the Earth from a Lunar bound orbiting module was in December, 1968 when an astronaut pointed a primitive Super Eight back at our planet and a black and white TV image appeared, I supposed, on screens world-wide. My reaction to seeing the graphic isolation was that there was, indeed, no free lunch.
Now, having come to realize that there is a new generation of viewers with a similar visual perspective, I wonder how many are reaching a similar, yet sobering, conclusion?

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:15 am

Please, APOD, Artemis 1 is NOT uncrewed!
On board is one of ESA's fully trained and experienced astronauts, Shaun the Sheep!

Here he is undergoing zero-g training, and with some of the launch team:
Shaun zero-g.jpg
Shaun launch team.jpg
His trainers and Aardman are very proud of Shaun's achievement!
https://www.aardman.com/latest-news/sha ... -artemis-I

John

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:44 pm

EarthArtemis1_1067.jpg
Artemis; going on a test trip! Took a nice photo of home!
nhq202211160203.jpg
World's largest rocket at launch! A bunch of wonderful photos in This
APOD! thanks APOD! 8-)
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

De58te
Commander

Post by De58te » Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:57 pm

I am just curious about the speed of this spacecraft. If it was launched at 1:47am then it was launched on the darkside of the Earth although not exactly at the middle of midnight. Now if this picture was taken over an hour later, (And I don't think that when people say that they don't mean 10 hours later or even over 2 hours later, but somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours.) So this picture was taken around 3am EST.) Yet not only is it over the Earth at at least 9am since the Sun has risen, but the size of the Earth looks close to the size of the Moon. Now the Earth is some 4 times bigger than the Moon, so if it looks near the same size of the Moon the rocket must be pretty far away, maybe almost 2/3rd the distance to the Moon. Now that's pretty fast speed just in 1 hour when the Apollo Saturn 5 took some 3 days to travel the same distance.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 17, 2022 3:08 pm

De58te wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:57 pm I am just curious about the speed of this spacecraft. If it was launched at 1:47am then it was launched on the darkside of the Earth although not exactly at the middle of midnight. Now if this picture was taken over an hour later, (And I don't think that when people say that they don't mean 10 hours later or even over 2 hours later, but somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours.) So this picture was taken around 3am EST.) Yet not only is it over the Earth at at least 9am since the Sun has risen, but the size of the Earth looks close to the size of the Moon. Now the Earth is some 4 times bigger than the Moon, so if it looks near the same size of the Moon the rocket must be pretty far away, maybe almost 2/3rd the distance to the Moon. Now that's pretty fast speed just in 1 hour when the Apollo Saturn 5 took some 3 days to travel the same distance.
What do you mean that the Earth looks the size of the Moon? The Moon isn't in the image.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Thu Nov 17, 2022 4:11 pm

Go, Shaun!

DougDeden

Post by DougDeden » Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:40 pm

De58te wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:57 pm I am just curious about the speed of this spacecraft. If it was launched at 1:47am then it was launched on the darkside of the Earth although not exactly at the middle of midnight. Now if this picture was taken over an hour later, (And I don't think that when people say that they don't mean 10 hours later or even over 2 hours later, but somewhere between 1 hour and 2 hours.) So this picture was taken around 3am EST.) Yet not only is it over the Earth at at least 9am since the Sun has risen, but the size of the Earth looks close to the size of the Moon. Now the Earth is some 4 times bigger than the Moon, so if it looks near the same size of the Moon the rocket must be pretty far away, maybe almost 2/3rd the distance to the Moon. Now that's pretty fast speed just in 1 hour when the Apollo Saturn 5 took some 3 days to travel the same distance.
I think the "Over an hour after liftoff" phrase, while technically correct, is misleading. When watching the NASA video -- https://youtu.be/TAMCQ-3FdQI -- from which this screenshot appears to have been taken, the narrator, Sandra Jones, mentions "nine hours and nineteen minutes since launch" at about the 22-minute mark, just before the views of Earth appear at about 28 minutes into the video. The video also shows telemetry indicating that Artemis was travelling at about 5,500 mph at that time.

...doug

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:46 am

Thankyou for clearing that 'one hour' up.

Otherwise that would be one mighty fast spacecraft to get that far in just one hour ...

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:55 am

RocketRon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:46 am Thankyou for clearing that 'one hour' up.

Otherwise that would be one mighty fast spacecraft to get that far in just one hour ...
You can't tell from the image how far it has gone.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:36 am

When Earth is receding WAY into the distance, its more than a mere hour's travel away !!!

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:53 am

RocketRon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:36 am When Earth is receding WAY into the distance, its more than a mere hour's travel away !!!
The size of the Earth in the image is determined by the focal length of the lens. You cannot infer much about its distance.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:41 pm

When the Earth is just a few degrees in the distant 'sky', if we knew the actual degrees
then simple geometry could calculate approx how far.
Let us just say its no longer in a low earth orbit !!!

This would seem to be a NASA fake news mis-statement, as much as you try to play it down
Wonder if they will come out and correct it ?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:44 pm

RocketRon wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:41 pm When the Earth is just a few degrees in the distant 'sky', if we knew the actual degrees
then simple geometry could calculate approx how far.
Let us just say its no longer in a low earth orbit !!!

This would seem to be a NASA fake news mis-statement, as much as you try to play it down
Wonder if they will come out and correct it ?
Again, the apparent size of the Moon doesn't provide much information about how far away the spacecraft is.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:40 am

Moon ?
You are losing the plot.

Mmmm. Someone has it right.
" A view of Earth as seen from the Artemis 1 Orion capsule more than 9 hours into flight on Nov. 16, 2022.
(Image credit: NASA TV) "
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/KHbLT ... 0.png.webp

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:44 am

RocketRon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 1:40 am Moon ?
You are losing the plot.

Mmmm. Someone has it right.
" A view of Earth as seen from the Artemis 1 Orion capsule more than 9 hours into flight on Nov. 16, 2022.
(Image credit: NASA TV) "
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/KHbLT ... 0.png.webp
Earth. Sorry. The size doesn't tell us how far away we are. The size just depends on the focal length of the lens.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:09 am

Its not even remotely close to Earth anymore though !!!
Regardless of what lens was used.

Everyone else correctly reported it was 9+ hours of flight away.
“Orion looking back at Earth as it travels toward the moon, 57,000 miles away from the place we call home,”
NASA’s Sandra Jones intoned as the imagery came down.
https://www.universetoday.com/158675/ar ... s-to-moon/

Only APOD viewers were sold a pup.
With you blocking this (OBVIOUS) conclusion ...

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:17 pm

RocketRon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:09 am Its not even remotely close to Earth anymore though !!!

“Orion looking back at Earth as it travels toward the moon, 57,000 miles away from the place we call home,”

You're missing the point. Not sure what you're so bent about. But that image could have been made from low Earth orbit.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:46 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:17 pm
RocketRon wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:09 am Its not even remotely close to Earth anymore though !!!

You're missing the point. Not sure what you're so bent about. But that image could have been made from low Earth orbit.
[ I'm sure the following will show my naivete when it comes to all things optical... ]

Really? How low? Could a pic from the ISS (in a 250 mile orbit (1/32 Earth diameters)) look like this with the appropriate camera lense? Most images I've seen of Earth from the ISS fill the frame and show much more detail that what we can see in this APOD pic taken from 57000 miles away (7 Earth diameters).
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:50 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:46 pm

[ I'm sure the following will show my naivete when it comes to all things optical... ]

Really? How low? Could a pic from the ISS (in a 250 mile orbit (1/32 Earth diameters)) look like this with the appropriate camera lense? Most images I've seen of Earth from the ISS fill the frame and show much more detail that what we can see in this APOD pic taken from 57000 miles away (7 Earth diameters).
It just depends on the focal length of the lens. A fisheye lens would show an apparently small Earth even if you were still quite close. At nine hours, this image was made when the craft was about twice the distance of geosynchronous satellites. The Earth could look like anything from a small disk to completely filling the frame.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:04 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:50 pm

It just depends on the focal length of the lens. A fisheye lens would show an apparently small Earth even if you were still quite close. At nine hours, this image was made when the craft was about twice the distance of geosynchronous satellites. The Earth could look like anything from a small disk to completely filling the frame.
Ok. In a meek defense of the OP's complaint about the somewhat misleading lack of specificity in the text, ideally, something link the following would have been more accurate:
"About nine hours after liftoff from Kennedy Space Center's historic Launch Complex 39B, one of Orion's external video cameras captured this view of its new perspective from space, 57000 miles away."
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:31 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 3:04 pm
Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:50 pm

Ok. In a meek defense of the OP's complaint about the somewhat misleading lack of specificity in the text, ideally, something link the following would have been more accurate:
"About nine hours after liftoff from Kennedy Space Center's historic Launch Complex 39B, one of Orion's external video cameras captured this view of its new perspective from space, 57000 miles away."
Of course the caption should be as accurate as possible. But the error here was small, and the real point is that it's largely impossible to assess distances by looking at the size of objects, unless you have multiple objects of know sizes. In an image, the actual size in pixels isn't useful, what you need to consider is the angular sizes.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:17 am

Bizarre, just bizarre.
APOD observers/readers are being lead up the garden path here, big time....
And doesn't look like its going to be corrected.
Every other website in the universe has it right !

A rocket that could cover +55,000+ miles in an hour could loop the moon and be back
in time for afternoon tea. Are we APOD observers going to believe this is factual.?
Based on the blarney here, it would seem so ....