APOD: Artemis 1: Flight Day 13 (2022 Dec 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Artemis 1: Flight Day 13 (2022 Dec 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:06 am

Image Artemis 1: Flight Day 13

Explanation: On flight day 13 (November 28) of the Artemis 1 mission the Orion spacecraft reached its maximum distance from Earth. In fact, over 430,000 kilometers from Earth its distant retrograde orbit also put Orion nearly 70,000 kilometers from the Moon. In the same field of view in this video frame from flight day 13, planet and large natural satellite even appear about the same apparent size from the uncrewed spacecraft's perspective. Today (December 1) should see Orion depart its distant retrograde orbit. En route to planet Earth it will head toward a second powered fly by of the Moon. Splashdown on the home world is expected on December 11.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Sa Ji Tario

Re: APOD: Artemis 1: Flight Day 13 (2022 Dec 01)

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:17 am

I estimate that the angle of sunlight that falls on Artemis does not agree with that of the Moon and the Earth seem different angles

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:44 am

Why not ?
If the Sun is off to the right, and maybe slightly behind, then all the shadows and lighting angles are consistent.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Dec 01, 2022 8:29 am

Isn't the Moon strangely bright compared with the Earth?

Sure, the albedo of the Earth is visibly a lot higher, but I though that the albedo difference between the Earth and the Moon was much bigger than what the picture suggests.

Ann
Color Commentator

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:04 am

And all captained by Shaun the Sheep!

But of course, Shaun, for all his uniform and zero-gravity training, cannot pilot the sheep - sorry, ship. Which brings to mind the original design of the Mercury capsules, that had no windows and nothing for the 'pilot' to do, being wholly ground controlled. Famously, and in the "Right Stuff" the astronaut team objected to being "spam in the can" and demanded some autonomy. This was proved to be the Right Thing, by many orbital incidents from Mercury 9 to Apollo 13, when the occupants saved the day, and themselves, but the original concept is alive today, in the Blue Origin, sub-orbital capsule.

Is Orion really a spaceship or a space sheep, a commuter craft without a pilot that will ship colonists to the Moon?
John

Evenstar
Ensign

Post by Evenstar » Thu Dec 01, 2022 9:31 am

Nice picture! Are camera(s) fixed or adjustable on each solar panel or...? So the Moon's "brightness" is correct because it is a dirt ball compared to Earth's white reflective cloud cover or Orion's white paint?
<Evenstar>

Sa Ji Tario

Post by Sa Ji Tario » Thu Dec 01, 2022 1:47 pm

RocketRon wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:44 am Why not ?
If the Sun is off to the right, and maybe slightly behind, then all the shadows and lighting angles are consistent.
The projected shadow of the probe (base where NASA says) on the lower part seems more zenithal than the lateral ones of the other bodies

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:22 pm

art001e000672-1024x768.jpg
Beautiful! 8-)
I enjoyed this; https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive Could have watched it as long as it was on! :D
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

tmcdanel
Asternaut

Post by tmcdanel » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:04 pm

Sa Ji Tario wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:17 am I estimate that the angle of sunlight that falls on Artemis does not agree with that of the Moon and the Earth seem different angles
Aaah, Sa Ji Tario, is on to them. This was all staged in a studio in San Diego and NASA is trying to fool us again! But Sa Ji Tario figured it out right away because you got the shadows wrong. The hoax didn't last long this time. With all your careful planning, you didn't think about the shadows, did you old devious NASA rapscallions? just wanting more of our tax money are you?

Come to think of it, heck maybe it's just CGI now? That's really going to take all the fun out of creating elaborate conspiracy exposures.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:42 pm

APOD Robot wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:06 am Image Artemis 1: Flight Day 13

Explanation: On flight day 13 (November 28) of the Artemis 1 mission the Orion spacecraft reached its maximum distance from Earth. In fact, over 430,000 kilometers from Earth its distant retrograde orbit also put Orion nearly 70,000 kilometers from the Moon. In the same field of view in this video frame from flight day 13, planet and large natural satellite even appear about the same apparent size from the uncrewed spacecraft's perspective. Today (December 1) should see Orion depart its distant retrograde orbit. En route to planet Earth it will head toward a second powered fly by of the Moon. Splashdown on the home world is expected on December 11.
The Earth and Moon don't appear to be about the same apparent size to me.

Also, in the short video showing an "eclipse of the moon and earth" I have no idea what I'm looking at! Is the earth eclipsing the moon, the moon eclipsing the earth, or are both being eclipsed by ... something else? I supposed it must be the earth eclipsing the moon, but then what's that bright area on the limb?
Attachments
earth and moon from artemis.png
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:30 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Thu Dec 01, 2022 4:42 pm

Quite. Indeed, the apparent size of the Moon is about 1.7 times larger than that of the Earth. Which, as it happens, is exactly what you'd expect given the two distances described in the caption.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Igwasborn
Asternaut

Post by Igwasborn » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:07 am

Zooming on earth in the image shows it in an odd appearance I have never seen before.

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:04 am

Also, in the short video showing an "eclipse of the moon and earth" I have no idea what I'm looking at! Is the earth eclipsing the moon, the moon eclipsing the earth, or are both being eclipsed by ... something else? I supposed it must be the earth eclipsing the moon, but then what's that bright area on the limb?

The Earth? Because it is the Moon eclipsing the Earth?

Admittedly, for that to be the Moon eclipsing the Earth, the image must be "squashed" so that the Moon looks elliptical instead of round.

Ann
Color Commentator

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:01 pm

Igwasborn wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:07 am Zooming on earth in the image shows it in an odd appearance I have never seen before.
Do you mean this appearance?

earth from artemis.png

I'd say those cloud formations - assuming that's what we are predominantly seeing - do look pretty strange, but I presume that is due mainly to the low resolution and blurriness.
Last edited by johnnydeep on Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

leofish1
Asternaut

Post by leofish1 » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:06 pm

I know there is no "up" in space, but the photo is oriented with Earth's south pole at the top. All the white at the top is Antarctica which is nearing its summer solstice.

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:40 pm

Ann wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:04 am

The Earth? Because it is the Moon eclipsing the Earth?

Admittedly, for that to be the Moon eclipsing the Earth, the image must be "squashed" so that the Moon looks elliptical instead of round.

Ann
So the earth is behind the moon and its limb is peaking out from behind it, and the moon appears larger than the earth from Artemis' vantage point just like in the APOD:

moon eclipsing earth seen from artemis.png

I suppose that must be it. What threw me was that I thought the short video was showing the eclipse actually progressing as the shadowed part was becoming larger. But I think that's an optical illusion and there is no visible change happening.
--

RocketRon

Post by RocketRon » Mon Dec 05, 2022 5:10 am

Igwasborn wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:07 am Zooming on earth in the image shows it in an odd appearance I have never seen before.
Perhaps we haven't seen good ole Earth from ~400,000 km out too often before ?