Flowers Around The House

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Stop and smell the roses.

Post by neufer » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:09 pm

https://grammarist.com/idiom/stop-and-smell-the-roses/ wrote:
Click to play embedded YouTube video.

<<The phrase stop and smell the roses is an admonition to slow down and enjoy life, to take the time to savor the beauty around you, to relax. The expression stop and smell the roses came into use in the 1960s and is a rephrasing of a sentiment found in an autobiography written by the golfer Walter Hagen: “Don’t hurry. Don’t worry. And be sure to smell the flowers along the way.” This passage was soon paraphrased as stop and smell the roses.>>
Art Neuendorffer

saturno2
Commander

Re: Flowers Around The House

Post by saturno2 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:23 pm

Some time ago I was given a small cactus
about 7 cm high, it had a red hat.
A kitten voted him to the floor several times.
I put him outside my window in a porcelain cup
as a planter.
Well, there he became thin and grew a lot.
Today he is 50 cm. tall ( he no longer has the
red hat.)
I do not know what mutation gave this result.

leahna
Asternaut

Post by leahna » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:48 am

Hello,

I am new to the forum and thought to present myself with a photo from my garden :)

Leah

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Wed Sep 14, 2022 2:49 pm

leahna wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:48 am Hello,

I am new to the forum and thought to present myself with a photo from my garden :)

Leah
Thank you, that's lovely! :D

Welcome to Starship Asterisk*! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

leahna
Asternaut

Post by leahna » Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:36 am

:D Thank you

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:36 am

that's a beautiful flower Leahna! &welcome to our Star ship!
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:44 am

Well, we are in for a snowstorm next week, and after that the weather will remain freezing so that we will be buried under snow for another week or so. But while we wait for winter to come back and bite us, I can't resist posting this picture of a female hazel flower getting ready to meet some male seeds (you're in for a long wait, sister).

And if you don't recognize the female flower of the hazel, it could be because the flower is so tiny. So I'm adding a picture of some male catkins next to a tiny little red female flower. Can you spot the flower?

Hasselblomma 2 mars 2023.jpg
Hasselhänge och honblomma 1 mars 2023 Roskildevägen.jpg

Ann
Color Commentator

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:01 pm

Speaking of long waits, we just noticed our pineapple fruiting.
IMG_6194.JPG
Might be a while before the pizza. :yes:
IMG_6195 (2).JPG
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:19 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:44 am Well, we are in for a snowstorm next week, and after that the weather will remain freezing so that we will be buried under snow for another week or so. But while we wait for winter to come back and bite us, I can't resist posting this picture of a female hazel flower getting ready to meet some male seeds (you're in for a long wait, sister).

And if you don't recognize the female flower of the hazel, it could be because the flower is so tiny. So I'm adding a picture of some male catkins next to a tiny little red female flower. Can you spot the flower?
Okay... picky, picky. But the flower is not waiting for a male seed. There are male flowers (catkins) and female flowers (florets). The male flowers produce pollen, but cannot fertilize the female flowers on the same tree. Once fertilized by pollen from a different tree, the female flowers will develop fruits (hazelnuts) which contain a seed. The red bits visible on the female flower are styles... just one part of the flower. I do wonder about the bright red, though. Usually flowers have colored parts to attract pollinators, but hazels are wind pollinated, so they don't need to.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:13 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:19 pm
Ann wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:44 am Well, we are in for a snowstorm next week, and after that the weather will remain freezing so that we will be buried under snow for another week or so. But while we wait for winter to come back and bite us, I can't resist posting this picture of a female hazel flower getting ready to meet some male seeds (you're in for a long wait, sister).

Okay... picky, picky. But the flower is not waiting for a male seed. There are male flowers (catkins) and female flowers (florets). The male flowers produce pollen, but cannot fertilize the female flowers on the same tree. Once fertilized by pollen from a different tree, the female flowers will develop fruits (hazelnuts) which contain a seed. The red bits visible on the female flower are styles... just one part of the flower. I do wonder about the bright red, though. Usually flowers have colored parts to attract pollinators, but hazels are wind pollinated, so they don't need to.
Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:17 pm

Can't resist showing you these azalea buds in downtown Malmö:

Budding azalea 6 March 2023.jpg

Oh, poor azalea! Can't help thinking about the old Swedish joke about the preacher who saw a drunk young man leave a bar, and the preacher shouted: "Young man, you are on the wrong path! Turn around!"

I fear you are on the wrong path, sweet azalea! 🌺 Winter will come back and bite you, so you should turn around, pull the covers over your head again and wait for spring to arrive!!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Thu Apr 06, 2023 4:34 pm

Got to show you a picture of my favorite flower growing just down the street from where I live:

Blåsippa Roskildevägen 4 april 2023.jpg

It is a Hepatica nobilis. You've got to check up the English name for it.

This species isn't doing well round where I live, and at the actual place where I found this specimen, only three or four of the flowers could be seen. This particular specimen grew at the foot of a bush with sturdy branches, and I had to reach in with one arm and take the photo one-handed, without really seeing what I was photographing. I wasn't able to get my mobile to really, really focus on the flower. Nevertheless, I'm happy with the result.

To me this flower epitomizes the heartbreaking briefness yet incredible beauty of life on Earth. I mean it!

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Apr 10, 2023 3:11 pm

It's me again. I know. :oops:

But I can't resist.

Blåsippor 3 Bellevuevägen 10 april 2023.jpg

Aren't the hepaticas lovely?

Ann
Color Commentator

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:16 pm

Blåsippor 6 10 april 2023.jpg

I'm sorry. I can't resist.

Ann
Color Commentator

Fred the Cat
Theoretic Apothekitty
AKA: Ron

Post by Fred the Cat » Wed Jun 07, 2023 3:32 pm

Roses, rainbows and shadows.
IMG_6282.JPG
The color of a rose preceeded a particularly long-lived rainbow during last night's thunderstorm.
IMG_6291.JPG
Perfect to capture the last light of the day and the shadows it created. :ssmile:
IMG_6318 (2).JPG
Freddy's Felicity "Only ascertain as a cat box survivor"

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:26 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Sep 02, 2023 8:26 pm 268_lorand_fenyes_iris_ngc7023_1024.jpg
I grow Iris flowers and I love them! I even have a pretty blue one
like the nebula! :D
We have a few deer feeding flowers around the house.
We love the deer and the flowers.
We used to have a similar problem with bird feeders and cats. We’re down to one indoor cat so now all the bird feedering birds have to worry about is the opportunistic hawks.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.