Happy Towel Day!

Off topic discourse and banter encouraged.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Happy Towel Day!

Post by bystander » Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 pm

Money weakens ability to savour life’s little pleasures
Discover Blogs | Not Exactly Rocket Science | 25 May 2020
Today is Towel Day, where fans around the world celebrate the works of beloved author Douglas Adams, a master of witty prose and observational humour. Consider his description of money:
This planet has – or rather had – a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn’t the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
Adams was right to highlight the perceived link between money and happiness. Many people dream of the life they could lead if they won the lottery, a world of mansions, fine restaurants, and first-class travel. But few consider the costs. These fineries could lead to enjoyment overload, compromising our ability to savour life’s simpler pleasures, whether it’s a walk on a sunny day or the taste of a bar of chocolate. This idea of wealth as a double-edged sword is widely held and while it’s easy to suggest that it springs from jealousy, a new set of experiments supports the idea.
Don't forget your towel!

A towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have.
~~ Douglas Adams
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Happy Towel Day!

Post by neufer » Tue May 25, 2010 6:23 pm

-------------------------------------
Towel, n. [OE.towaille, towail, F. touaille, LL. toacula, of Teutonic origin; cf. OHG. dwahila, swahilla, G. zwehle, fr. OHG. dwahan to wash; akin to D. dwaal a towel, AS. þweán to wash, OS. thwahan, Icel. þv&amac;, Sw. två, Dan. toe, Goth. þwahan. Cf. Doily.] A cloth used for wiping, especially one used for drying anything wet, as the person after a bath.

Towel gourd (Bot.), the fruit of the cucurbitaceous plant Luffa ægyptiaca; also, the plant itself. The fruit is very fibrous, and, when separated from its rind and seeds, is used as a sponge or towel. Called also Egyptian bath sponge, and dishcloth.
Towel, v. t. To beat with a stick. [Prov. Eng.]
-------------------------------------
    • Chapter 3 of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    <<A towel, it says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.

More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag (strag: non-hitch hiker) discovers that a hitch hiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have "lost". What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
    >>
Art Neuendorffer

StoneRoad
Asternaut

Post by StoneRoad » Sat May 29, 2010 8:41 pm

Is this still true if the towel has an image (not a pattern!) as mine has a Severn class RNLI lifeboat on it!

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat May 29, 2010 9:27 pm

StoneRoad wrote:Is this still true if the towel has an image (not a pattern!) as mine has a Severn class RNLI lifeboat on it!
You wish to use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth?

I think that might work.
Art Neuendorffer

StoneRoad
Asternaut

Post by StoneRoad » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Well, it is certainly big enough! (just)

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:21 pm

Hey Guys;
Don't forget the Pittsburg Steelers Fans and all their Terrible Towels! They also are to be reckoned with, especially in the Fall :)
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat May 25, 2013 5:04 am

— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat May 25, 2013 5:14 am

WOW :!: :!: Just short of 3-years between the last two posts. It would seem that 'Happy Towel Day' is very frayed around the edges and doesn't get used much. :lol2:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon May 25, 2015 3:18 pm

Do you know where your towel is?
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 25, 2015 3:45 pm

bystander wrote:Do you know where your towel is?
Which one? I have many towels for many uses, such as but not limited to... drying, crying and snapping, which is a long towel that i twist up and 'snap' those who ask me dumb questions like, but not limited to... do you know where your towel is?

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon May 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Douglas Adams wrote:
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
— Garrison Keillor

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon May 25, 2015 5:02 pm

bystander wrote:
Douglas Adams wrote:
Any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.
Ah... that's the problem. I haven't gotten down to slogging through the galaxy yet, so i haven't had to pick just one towel to slog with.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed May 25, 2022 1:27 pm

towel_day_1280.jpg
— Garrison Keillor

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Mon May 30, 2022 12:15 pm

I have two particularly handy towels, one in the rear bag on my bicycle and one near my tools in the car. Every once in a while they need washing, but once dry they go right back where they belong. If I ever have to hitch a ride to Tralfamadore, I’ll grab at least one of them on the way out the door. Happy is the person who knows where their towel(s) is(are).

Rob

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri May 26, 2023 12:37 am

Don't Panic! Do you know where your towel is?
— Garrison Keillor