APOD: Orbits of Potentially Hazardous... (2023 Jun 30)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Orbits of Potentially Hazardous... (2023 Jun 30)

Post by APOD Robot » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:05 am

Image Orbits of Potentially Hazardous Asteroids

Explanation: Are asteroids dangerous? Some are, but the likelihood of a dangerous asteroid striking the Earth during any given year is low. Because some past mass extinction events have been linked to asteroid impacts, however, humanity has made it a priority to find and catalog those asteroids that may one day affect life on Earth. Pictured here are the orbits of the over 1,000 known Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs). These documented tumbling boulders of rock and ice are over 140 meters across and will pass within 7.5 million kilometers of Earth -- about 20 times the distance to the Moon. Although none of them will strike the Earth in the next 100 years -- not all PHAs have been discovered, and past 100 years, many orbits become hard to predict. Were an asteroid of this size to impact the Earth, it could raise dangerous tsunamis, for example. To investigate Earth-saving strategies, NASA successfully tested the Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) mission last year. Of course, rocks and ice bits of much smaller size strike the Earth every day, usually pose no danger, and sometimes create memorable fireball and meteor displays.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

shaileshs
Ensign

Re: APOD: Orbits of Potentially Hazardous... (2023 Jun 30)

Post by shaileshs » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:25 am

Wow.. never imagined there's so many with their paths around Sun that close (relatively) to each other and all planets. We have decent idea about none of the PHA's (ones we have discovered/identified so far) colliding with Earth in next 100 years, I wonder, what's the probability of them hitting other planets ? Do we expect any such even soon (in next 20 years)? Because I don't think we are going to use DART to avoid those collisions.. but in turn those collisions might affect us some way (rays, gravity, changing plane of rotation, change of rotational axis, new moons for some planets... etc etc etc..) so maybe it's better NASA uses DART to avoid even those collisions ?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:41 am

shaileshs wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:25 am Wow.. never imagined there's so many with their paths around Sun that close (relatively) to each other and all planets. We have decent idea about none of the PHA's (ones we have discovered/identified so far) colliding with Earth in next 100 years, I wonder, what's the probability of them hitting other planets ? Do we expect any such even soon (in next 20 years)? Because I don't think we are going to use DART to avoid those collisions.. but in turn those collisions might affect us some way (rays, gravity, changing plane of rotation, change of rotational axis, new moons for some planets... etc etc etc..) so maybe it's better NASA uses DART to avoid even those collisions ?
Keep in mind that if this were to scale, those lines would be the thickness of an atom. The image makes the space look much, much more densely filled than it actually is!

UPDATE: okay, just for fun, I did a couple of calculations. The full size image, displayed on a modern screen (100 pixels/cm) should be understood to have the following scale: the asteroid tracks (assuming 100 m diameter asteroids) should be drawn with a width of 1 picometer, or about 1/100th the size of an atom. The Earth's path should be drawn with a width of 160 nm, the wavelength of near UV light. And, of course, while there's a bias for these objects to have orbits near the ecliptic plane, they still cover a wide range of inclinations, so we're not looking here at a plane, but at a thick volume of space projected onto a plane. If we shifted our view so we were not directly above the ecliptic, this would look quite different.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:56 pm

Chris Peterson wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:41 am
shaileshs wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:25 am Wow.. never imagined there's so many with their paths around Sun that close (relatively) to each other and all planets. We have decent idea about none of the PHA's (ones we have discovered/identified so far) colliding with Earth in next 100 years, I wonder, what's the probability of them hitting other planets ? Do we expect any such even soon (in next 20 years)? Because I don't think we are going to use DART to avoid those collisions.. but in turn those collisions might affect us some way (rays, gravity, changing plane of rotation, change of rotational axis, new moons for some planets... etc etc etc..) so maybe it's better NASA uses DART to avoid even those collisions ?
Keep in mind that if this were to scale, those lines would be the thickness of an atom. The image makes the space look much, much more densely filled than it actually is!

UPDATE: okay, just for fun, I did a couple of calculations. The full size image, displayed on a modern screen (100 pixels/cm) should be understood to have the following scale: the asteroid tracks (assuming 100 m diameter asteroids) should be drawn with a width of 1 picometer, or about 1/100th the size of an atom. The Earth's path should be drawn with a width of 160 nm, the wavelength of near UV light. And, of course, while there's a bias for these objects to have orbits near the ecliptic plane, they still cover a wide range of inclinations, so we're not looking here at a plane, but at a thick volume of space projected onto a plane. If we shifted our view so we were not directly above the ecliptic, this would look quite different.
Earth's orbit is presented in this APOD as 2 pixel wide line of a 366 pixel wide circle.
To present the things in scale we could use 1/64 pixel for Earth's diameter (.0425 light seconds) and 366 pixels for Earth's orbit diameter (1000 light seconds).
A line of 1/64 pixel width is a hairline with 1/64 of contrast against the background, still visible

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:42 am

Balanced_Rock.jpg
Click on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... d_Rock.jpg
with aprpox. 8 years difference] how come no change? They must be the same photo! :roll:
Maybe I'm missing something!!! :?
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:51 pm

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:42 am Balanced_Rock.jpgClick on a date/time to view the file as it appeared at that time.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... d_Rock.jpg
with aprpox. 8 years difference] how come no change? They must be the same photo! :roll:
Maybe I'm missing something!!! :?
What two photos are you talking about?
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}