APOD: Three Galaxies in Draco (2023 Jul 01)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: Three Galaxies in Draco (2023 Jul 01)

Post by APOD Robot » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:05 am

Image Three Galaxies in Draco

Explanation: This tantalizing trio of galaxies sometimes called the Draco Group, is located in the northern constellation of (you guessed it) Draco, the Dragon. From left to right are face-on spiral NGC 5985, elliptical galaxy NGC 5982, and edge-on spiral NGC 5981, all found within this single telescopic field of view that spans a little more than the width of the full moon. While the group is far too small to be a galaxy cluster, and has not been catalogued as a compact galaxy group, the three galaxies all do lie roughly 100 million light-years from planet Earth. Not as well known as other tight groupings of galaxies, the contrast in visual appearance still makes this triplet an attractive subject for astroimagers. On close examination with spectrographs, the bright core of striking spiral NGC 5985 shows prominent emission in specific wavelengths of light, prompting astronomers to classify it as a Seyfert, a type of active galaxy. This impressively deep exposure hints at a faint dim halo along with sharp-edged shells surrounding elliptical NGC 5982, evidence of past galactic mergers. It also reveals many even more distant background galaxies.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Ann
4725 Å

Re: APOD: Three Galaxies in Draco (2023 Jul 01)

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:00 am

NGC 6744 Telescope Live Basudeb Chakrabarti.png
NGC 6744. Credit: Basudeb Chakrabarti/Telescope Live.

So what is NGC 6744 in Pavo, the Peacock, doing with two galactic friends in Draco, the Dragon? Are we by any chance watching a Peacock-Dragon in the sky?

Peacock Dragon Gloucestershire Lettering Arts.png
Peacock-Dragon. Artwork: Gloucestershire Lettering Arts.

Isn't the Peacock-Dragon a gorgeous creature? And wouldn't he fit right in with the other mythological creatures of the heavens?

Anway. Aren't NGC 5985 and NGC 6844 remarkably similar? Both are large spiral galaxies with small bars and a good amount of blue stars, but no roaring star formation going on, and relatively yellow colors overall. Both have reasonably bright yellow centers and a comparatively low dust content. Their arms even wind the same way! The main difference appears to be that the spiral arms of NGC 5985 are much better defined than the spiral arms of NGC 6744.

And the main difference between constellation Draco and constellation Pavo is that Draco is far north as seen from the Earth and Pavo is far south! But the Peacock-Dragon uncurls his tail and spreads his wings so as to join north and south of the sky!

And as the Peacock-Dragon spreads his wing, may NGC 5985-6744 rule over them all! Victor, can you create an overlay?

Ann
Color Commentator

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:02 am

NGC 5985 and NGC 6844..jpg
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
NGC 5985 and NGC 6844 in a split field of view,
similar to astrometric images

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:28 am

VictorBorun wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:02 am
NGC 5985 and NGC 6844..jpg
Click to view full size image 1 or image 2
NGC 5985 and NGC 6844 in a split field of view,
similar to astrometric images
Thanks, Victor! :D

Ann
Color Commentator

Christian G.
Science Officer

Post by Christian G. » Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:34 am

Three galaxies, and three quasars as well! Fourth image here: http://www.astrosurf.com/topic/162191-n ... du-dragon/

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:49 pm

Ann, I don't understand your reference to NGC 6744, other than that it too is a nice example of a nearly face-on spiral). Is it near this trio in the sky, as I might guess by you're referring to a fanciful Peacock Dragon? (Sorry, but my constellational "geography" is nonexistent.)
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

jeffbax
Ensign

Post by jeffbax » Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:25 pm

Thank you for discussing on our image. Clear skies.

JF Bax

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:46 pm

johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:49 pm Ann, I don't understand your reference to NGC 6744, other than that it too is a nice example of a nearly face-on spiral). Is it near this trio in the sky, as I might guess by you're referring to a fanciful Peacock Dragon? (Sorry, but my constellational "geography" is nonexistent.)
I think they look quite similar, except that NGC 6744 lacks sharply defined arms. But both are big, both have smallish bars, both have similar color indices, both have arms that wind in the same direction, and both are seen at the same angle from the Earth.

I just thought that the names "Pavo" (the constellation of NGC 6744) and "Draco" (the constellation of the three galaxies in today's APOD) sound quite similar! You could almost mix them up! So I thought, what if you actually mixed them up, so that you got a Pavo-Draco, a Peacock-Dragon? And when I googled Peacock-Dragon, I actually found several nice pictures of such creatures! I picked the most striking-looking one and posted it.

And I thought, what if we had a constellation "Pavo-Draco"? Then NGC 6744 and the Draco galaxies would be in the same constellation, but the Pavo-Draco constellation would somehow cover most of the sky!

It seemed just ridiculously funny to me. That's my kind of humor, you know.

Ann
Color Commentator

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:54 pm

DracoTrio_TeamOmicron1024.jpg
ngc6946e_gendler.jpg
So Pretty; yet so far away! Too bad that space travel cannot fathom
the distances of these beauties! Don't know if I was born too soon or
too late! :bang:
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:40 pm

Ann wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 5:46 pm
johnnydeep wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 2:49 pm Ann, I don't understand your reference to NGC 6744, other than that it too is a nice example of a nearly face-on spiral). Is it near this trio in the sky, as I might guess by you're referring to a fanciful Peacock Dragon? (Sorry, but my constellational "geography" is nonexistent.)
I think they look quite similar, except that NGC 6744 lacks sharply defined arms. But both are big, both have smallish bars, both have similar color indices, both have arms that wind in the same direction, and both are seen at the same angle from the Earth.

I just thought that the names "Pavo" (the constellation of NGC 6744) and "Draco" (the constellation of the three galaxies in today's APOD) sound quite similar! You could almost mix them up! So I thought, what if you actually mixed them up, so that you got a Pavo-Draco, a Peacock-Dragon? And when I googled Peacock-Dragon, I actually found several nice pictures of such creatures! I picked the most striking-looking one and posted it.

And I thought, what if we had a constellation "Pavo-Draco"? Then NGC 6744 and the Draco galaxies would be in the same constellation, but the Pavo-Draco constellation would somehow cover most of the sky!

It seemed just ridiculously funny to me. That's my kind of humor, you know.

Ann
Ok, got it. :ssmile: Those were indeed some very nice fanciful pictures!
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

AVAO
Commander
AKA: multiwavelength traveller

Post by AVAO » Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:53 am

jeffbax wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:25 pm Thank you for discussing on our image. Clear skies.

JF Bax
"NGC 5982 shows multiple shells, but also a giant stellar halo that we have never seen before. The detection was confirmed by the professionals before publishing the image and brillance measurements are in progress. A 132 x 60 s superflat with no filter has been used for the luminance to reach this LSB (Low surface brightness) halo." https://www.astrobin.com/os11uz/B/

ThanX to the TEAM OMICRON

I haven't seen anything better so far. The Hubble images only show small sections of your panorama with a slightly better depth of detail and only in individual wavelengths. But your pictures are in the optical range and show an incredible depth of detail over a huge area in a harmonized form. Unbelievable good. I am especially pleased that you not only produce incredibly good pictures, but also do research with them at the same time. I think your pictures are an absolutely valuable addition to the NASA & ESA pictures, with which we work. Please go on with this amazing stuff!

Congratulations from Switzerland
Jac / AVAO team

jeffbax
Ensign

Post by jeffbax » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:00 am

Thank you so much AVAO team. We really apreciate your message 🙂

JF
Last edited by jeffbax on Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VictorBorun
Captain

Post by VictorBorun » Sun Jul 02, 2023 11:38 am

orin stepanek wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:54 pm DracoTrio_TeamOmicron1024.jpg
ngc6946e_gendler.jpg
So Pretty; yet so far away! Too bad that space travel cannot fathom
the distances of these beauties! Don't know if I was born too soon or
too late! :bang:
if Three Galaxies in Draco is an art object, we might be in the right place to appreciate it.
Maybe it's the famous monkey who would hear nothing but now decides to open an ear?

Ann
4725 Å

Post by Ann » Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:47 pm

AVAO wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 7:53 am
jeffbax wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 4:25 pm Thank you for discussing on our image. Clear skies.

JF Bax
"NGC 5982 shows multiple shells, but also a giant stellar halo that we have never seen before. The detection was confirmed by the professionals before publishing the image and brillance measurements are in progress. A 132 x 60 s superflat with no filter has been used for the luminance to reach this LSB (Low surface brightness) halo." https://www.astrobin.com/os11uz/B/

ThanX to the TEAM OMICRON

I haven't seen anything better so far. The Hubble images only show small sections of your panorama with a slightly better depth of detail and only in individual wavelengths. But your pictures are in the optical range and show an incredible depth of detail over a huge area in a harmonized form. Unbelievable good. I am especially pleased that you not only produce incredibly good pictures, but also do research with them at the same time. I think your pictures are an absolutely valuable addition to the NASA & ESA pictures, with which we work. Please go on with this amazing stuff!

Congratulations from Switzerland
Jac / AVAO team
I agree! It's a truly great image!

Ann
Color Commentator

jeffbax
Ensign

Post by jeffbax » Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:07 pm

Thank you Ann.

JF