APOD: A Landspout Tornado over Kansas (2023 Nov 29)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman

APOD: A Landspout Tornado over Kansas (2023 Nov 29)

Post by APOD Robot » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:05 am

Image A Landspout Tornado over Kansas

Explanation: Could there be a tornado inside another tornado? In general, no. OK, but could there be a tornado inside a wider dust devil? No again, for one reason because tornados comes down from the sky, but dust devils rise up from the ground. What is pictured is a landspout, an unusual type of tornado known to occur on the edge of a violent thunderstorm. The featured landspout was imaged and identified in Kansas, USA, in June 2019 by an experienced storm chaser. The real tornado is in the center, and the outer sheath was possibly created by large dust particles thrown out from the central tornado. So far, the only planet known to create tornados is Earth, although tornado-like activity has been found on the Sun and dust devils are common on Mars.

<< Previous APOD This Day in APOD Next APOD >>

Avent

Re: APOD: A Landspout Tornado over Kansas (2023 Nov 29)

Post by Avent » Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:27 am

Didn't something like that kill the parents of one of Q,s prospects in an episode of Star Trek the next generation. If I remember right the weather modification net malfunctioned

johnnydeep
Commodore

Post by johnnydeep » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:01 pm

Avent wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 5:27 am Didn't something like that kill the parents of one of Q,s prospects in an episode of Star Trek the next generation. If I remember right the weather modification net malfunctioned
Good memory! And right you are:
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Amanda_Rogers wrote:
Amanda Rogers
Amanda Rogers was a female Q born in 2351 in Topeka, Kansas, on Earth's North American continent. Unlike other Q, she was conceived and raised as a Human into adulthood when she joined the Q Continuum and consequently retained a moral code.

Early life
Her biological father and mother were two Q who assumed Human form to live on Earth. They were executed by the Q Continuum through a freak tornado accident when Amanda was a baby.
--
"To B̬̻̋̚o̞̮̚̚l̘̲̀᷾d̫͓᷅ͩḷ̯᷁ͮȳ͙᷊͠ Go......Beyond The F͇̤i̙̖e̤̟l̡͓d͈̹s̙͚ We Know."{ʲₒʰₙNYᵈₑᵉₚ}

zendae1

Post by zendae1 » Wed Nov 29, 2023 4:30 pm

But it wasn't described as a tornadic dust devil; it was a typical Dorothy Gale tornado.

There are rarely dust devils in Eastern Pa where I live, but I do remember a large powerful dust devil a long time ago, in which, as a total weather geek even as a kid, I ran as fast as I could to get in the middle of it. I was virtually lifted off the ground and whirled off to the side; an amazing unforgettable experience. If ever you get the chance, run to one and get inside it; just watch your eyes.

Roy

Post by Roy » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:02 am

What can make the atmosphere whirl like tha? A spout (land or water) goes up, opposite to a tornado, which goes down. Electric charge can bleed or strike up or down. A current generates a directed magnetic field around it we know.
Could electricity be at work here?

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:02 am

Roy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:02 am What can make the atmosphere whirl like tha? A spout (land or water) goes up, opposite to a tornado, which goes down. Electric charge can bleed or strike up or down. A current generates a directed magnetic field around it we know.
Could electricity be at work here?
No. It's just wind and convection.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com