Wanted: APOD Guest writers and assistant editors

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

Wanted: APOD Guest writers and assistant editors

Post by RJN » Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:31 am

Do you have professional-level expertise in astronomy? Would you like to write for — or even become an assistant editor for — APOD? The Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD, current main NASA site https://apod.nasa.gov/) is continuing its "guest-Wednesday" program and featuring volunteer writers. If you participate, your popular writing could reach over a million people. Additionally, APOD will enlist part-time US-based assistant editors who will be tasked with writing two APODs monthly, on the average, in exchange for modest stipends. Interested astronomers are encouraged to send an email to the APOD editors listed on a recent APOD page. Professional-level expertise in astronomy and astronomical research, clear writing, and an interest in astronomy outreach is preferred. Applications from astronomers and astrophysicists working at NASA centers are encouraged.

reipurth

Re: Wanted: APOD Guest writers and assistant editors

Post by reipurth » Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:22 pm

Greetings

I am a retired professor of astronomy at the University of Hawaii. My expertise is in outflows and Herbig-Haro jets from young stars
and more broadly low-mass star formation. I am dedicated to public outreach and have given numerous public talks over the years.
If you have a need within this topic I can contribute as an occasional Guest writer.

best regards

Bo Reipurth

Christopher.Sirola@usm.edu

Post by Christopher.Sirola@usm.edu » Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:15 pm

Hi everyone! I'm interested in helping out APOD. My original research background was on quasars... current interests include Cepheid variables and exoplanets. I'm highly involved in astronomy outreach and education. Finally, I have written an introductory astronomy textbook and several astronomy and physics lab manuals/materials.

Best,

Christopher (Chris) Sirola
University of Southern Mississippi

starsurfer
Stellar Cartographer

Post by starsurfer » Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:58 pm

reipurth wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:22 pm Greetings

I am a retired professor of astronomy at the University of Hawaii. My expertise is in outflows and Herbig-Haro jets from young stars
and more broadly low-mass star formation. I am dedicated to public outreach and have given numerous public talks over the years.
If you have a need within this topic I can contribute as an occasional Guest writer.

best regards

Bo Reipurth
Wow Bo Reipurth of all people! I had no idea you had retired. Handbook of Starforming Regions is one of the best things I have read in my life.

lvesbagel
Asternaut

Post by lvesbagel » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:00 pm

Christopher.Sirola@usm.edu wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:15 pm Hi everyone! I'm interested in helping out APOD. My original research background was on quasars... current interests include Cepheid variables and exoplanets. I'm highly involved in astronomy outreach and education. Finally, I have written an introductory astronomy textbook and several astronomy and physics lab manuals/materials.

Best,

Christopher (Chris) Sirola
University of Southern Mississippi
Hi Chris!
If you're interested in contributing to NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD), you may want to reach out directly to the APOD team or NASA to express your interest and inquire about potential collaboration opportunities. APOD is a popular resource for sharing stunning astronomical images along with informative captions, and your expertise and background could certainly bring valuable insights to the project.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:01 pm

lvesbagel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:00 pm
Hi Chris!
If you're interested in contributing to NASA's Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD), you may want to reach out directly to the APOD team or NASA to express your interest and inquire about potential collaboration opportunities. APOD is a popular resource for sharing stunning astronomical images along with informative captions, and your expertise and background could certainly bring valuable insights to the project.

You obviously did not read the original post and/or don't know who the original poster, rjn, is.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

Rauf
Science Officer

Post by Rauf » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 am

bystander wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:01 pm
Hi Chris!

You obviously did not read the original post and/or don't know who the original poster, rjn, is.
I might be mistaken, but that sounds awfully like an AI generated text.

Thiagoros
Asternaut

Post by Thiagoros » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:40 am

RJN wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:31 am Do you have professional-level expertise in astronomy? Would you like to write for — or even become an assistant editor for — APOD? The Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD, current main NASA site https://apod.nasa.gov/) is continuing its "guest-Wednesday" program and featuring volunteer writers. If you participate, your popular writing could reach over a million people. Additionally, APOD will enlist part-time US-based assistant editors who will be tasked with writing two APODs monthly, on the average, in exchange for modest stipends. Interested astronomers are encouraged to send an email to the APOD editors listed on a recent APOD page. Professional-level expertise in astronomy and astronomical research, clear writing, and an interest in astronomy outreach is preferred. Applications from astronomers and astrophysicists working at NASA centers are encouraged.
This exciting opportunity with APOD is a dream for astronomy enthusiasts with a passion for sharing the wonders of the cosmos. The chance to contribute to the Astronomy Picture of the Day, reaching over a million people, is an incredible platform for astronomers to engage with the public. The call for part-time US-based assistant editors, offering stipends for writing two APODs monthly, further emphasizes the commitment to fostering outreach and knowledge dissemination. Aspiring writers and astronomers with professional-level expertise should seize this chance to illuminate the beauty of the universe and inspire a global audience.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:52 pm

Rauf wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:10 am
bystander wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:01 pm
Hi Chris!

I might be mistaken, but that sounds awfully like an AI generated text.
Who, me? I assure you any intelligence attributed to me is completely artificial.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor