The cosmos at our fingertips.

Would you like a color concam?

You may select 1 option

View results

ETX_90
Ensign

A color concam?

Post by ETX_90 » Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:48 pm

Maybe for the new concam-3 in development, you could make the camera images in color instead of black and white. This way, you could see the different colors of the stars and other phenomena in the sky, like auroras. I think it would also help determine what the occasional U.F.O. is in the concam image - you could see its color. For example, if you were to see a streak go across a concam image, you could look to see if the trail were red and blue. If so, you'd know it was an airplane.

Is this possible? If so, would color images even effect what you would see as far as airplanes, satellites, etc.? :roll:
Gnidakcolhcs

nbrosch
Ensign

COlor CONCAMs

Post by nbrosch » Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:56 pm

Color images are nice but have small scientific value. It would be infinitely better to make three simultaneous B&W images through different color filters, combine them into a "real color" image, but extract the three different magnitudes of the objects separately. This, however, requires three CCDs, three fisheye lenses, filters, etc. We are going to think about this, however. Thanks,
Noah Brosch

makc
Commodore

Re: COlor CONCAMs

Post by makc » Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:27 am

nbrosch wrote:Color images are nice but have small scientific value.
how come that up to 3 times more information can have "small scientific value"? I'd say you just can't extract that value, but it doesn't mean it is not there.

nbrosch
Ensign

Color images

Post by nbrosch » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:09 am

I don't know of a way to disentangle the numerical charge value for each color when using a color CCD. In essence, what you write is correct, it is the extraction that is problematic. I also think that the individual color pixels (three for each 'real' pixel) have less charge depth than regular pixels. This would affect the dymanic range of the images.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:13 pm

I'm not a CCD expert, but simple search reveals many links like
this and this.

(sample image, couldn't resist)

ETX_90
Ensign

Post by ETX_90 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:53 pm

Great CCD image! :)
Gnidakcolhcs

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:38 am

ETX_90 how come you didnt vote on your own poll?

ETX_90
Ensign

Post by ETX_90 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:38 pm

makc wrote:ETX_90 how come you didnt vote on your own poll?
I wanted to see what other people think and not influence the results by voting myself. :)
Gnidakcolhcs