The Incredible Active Sun Movie! (APOD 4 Dec 2006)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
l3p3r
Science Officer

The Incredible Active Sun Movie! (APOD 4 Dec 2006)

Post by l3p3r » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:22 am

This is a phenomenal shot!

Does anyone know of any other videos like this one? It's a very interesting apparent camera position... does the satellite track the horizon in a geosynchronous-like orbit or something ?

hardcode57
Asternaut

I'm sure it's lovely

Post by hardcode57 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:19 am

Unfortunately, I don't run Windows, so I can't see it.
For crying out loud, what is a site like APOD doing using platform specific media?

rkennaway
Asternaut

Re: I'm sure it's lovely

Post by rkennaway » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:45 am

hardcode57 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't run Windows, so I can't see it.
For crying out loud, what is a site like APOD doing using platform specific media?
Same here, so I looked at the page source. A direct link to the movie is:

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... hinode.mpg

which plays fine in Safari on a Mac.

Great movie.

--
Richard Kennaway

Confused
Science Officer

Post by Confused » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:58 am

Thank you very much for finally providing a movie that I can see. In the past, no movies provided by APOD worked for me. Finally this one does.

Confused
Science Officer

Re: I'm sure it's lovely

Post by Confused » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:08 am

hardcode57 wrote:Unfortunately, I don't run Windows, so I can't see it.
I posted a similar comment because I have (not) seen many movies. In the past, no movies posted in APOD worked for me; this one does. My comment, though, was nicer.

Are you totally sure that there is not any software available for your OS that supports this format? I think the format is MPEG, which is an extremely common standard format. Some people might say that APOD should provide links for the software to use to view an MPEG, but note that they did not do that for the previous movies that did not work for me.

Did you click on the link for "MPG movie" before complaining? I doubt it, because if you did, you would see that MPEG is a standard. I think that DirecTV broadcasts are in MPEG format.

Perhaps someone can post links to software here for various OSs for playing MPEG; if someone does, then that will be more than what I got in the past when I asked for help.

Don Bradbury
Asternaut

Solar Movie

Post by Don Bradbury » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:51 am

Incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!
My question: Is this movie real time? Or is it time lapse? If time lapse, how much time elapses is this segment?
Interested to know

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:57 am

Hello All

Re: link
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... hinode.mpg

That is great. Go there for summer

I think Michael has some movies??????????

I will look in my files. I think I have some.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

norup
Asternaut

Post by norup » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:11 am

Please note that the scale of the field should be 82000km, not 8000km.
This is according to the linked document on the page.

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:04 am

Don Bradbury the movie is time lapse and the time duration/scale is shown in the form of an analogue clock (unless this is for some other obscure purpose)

You might want to try double clicking the movie (if on windows machine) to maximize the video, else go here: http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/image/ ... hinode.mpg

waterfeller
Ensign

The Incredible Active Sun Movie! (APOD 4 Dec 06)

Post by waterfeller » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:56 pm

What would be the relative size of the Earth in this image?

BTW, I can't get the sound to work at all on my Windows machine.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:07 pm

The diameter of earth is 12,756 kilometers. so if the field of view were 8000k then earth is larger, if the field of view is 82,000k, then approx 6.5 earths would fit accross the field of view.

waterfeller
Ensign

Post by waterfeller » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:57 pm

Thanks. So it would look something like this:

http://www.naturalhighs.net/Sun_7239.jpg

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:37 pm

Something like that. Nice image.

Galactic Groove
Ensign

Post by Galactic Groove » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:04 pm

movie sorta works, meaning it won't fully load for me. I've done both, watching the movie in APOD and just loading the link directly in WMP. :cry: I refreshed like it suggests and that started helping a bit, finally got 3/4 of it playing but after refreshing once more, it seemed to have lost more than what I had started with. Any download managers I can get to download this vid instead of having to settle with letting it try to stream??

Also it's kind of good that APOD doesn't provide too much help with these things as there's always trouble. They'd have to devote too much time on it when it's not something they're focusing on anyways. It's up to us to figure it out really and to get help from the community or other help forums at microsoft/apple etc etc... or GOOGLE

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:31 pm

I have an extremely fast download capablilty for movie files and it still takes nearly 2 minutes to fully download this file. Try it again but give it some time. the entire time passes the clock from 7:15 to 8:07.

iamlucky13
Commander

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:41 pm

Posting movies, is bound to cause some problems, whether from slow connections or decoders.

Might have been better to post a one frame and link to the movie either in the writeup or for the "full-size." That said, it's rather mesmerising to watch. Standing outside on a sunny day you'd have no clue all this stuff is happening on that bright ball of fire...
Those having trouble with the movie, try right-clicking on the link, then selecting "Save Target As..." In the dialog that pops up, save the movie someplace you can find it easily, like Desktop or My Documents, then click ok.

Your web browser will then download it completely. When it finishes, you can just double click the file to open it in your default media player.
"Any man whose errors take ten years to correct is quite a man." ~J. Robert Oppenheimer (speaking about Albert Einstein)

waterfeller
Ensign

Post by waterfeller » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:24 am

Maybe somebody can work out the copyright and upload details and upload this image to YouTube.com. Then we could post a link for those having trouble viewing this amazing movie. I have yet to have any problems in viewing a clip on YouTube. Technical problems that is...

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:10 am

hELLO aLL

Thank you for the movies Michael
Harry : Smile and live another day.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:32 pm

As an APOD is a Picture of the day, not a Movie, why cannot there be a link to some still frames if a movie is used as an APOD? Personally I think APOD's should never be a movie, but have links to a movie where relevant.

Despite having broadband it still took many minutes before I was able to see the full movie. I then found out that I was unable to capture any screen images from this APOD, as all I get is a black image. Any help on how I may be able to capture frames from this APOD (if possible) would be appreciated. APOD's should be hassle free viewing, but the movie ones are often not.

ewensell3
Asternaut

Post by ewensell3 » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:17 pm

Impress your friends...

Download this movie to your computer...
Download and install VLC (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/)
Play the video in VLC
Right-click on playing video -> Wallpaper
Minimize the VLC window

Watch in amazement...

Now, to take it a step further...

Set the background color of your application(s) to an RGB code of 0-0-1

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:32 pm

Following on from my post on December 5th, I have now discovered how to save images from the APOD movie. Activating the play button makes that a pause button, which can then be used to stop the movie where wanted. Using the Prt Sc key on the keyboard will then keep a copy of the screen image for editing.

It may seem obvious that was how to copy screen images from the movie, but as the direct Prt Sc method (and other ideas I thought of) did not work I was stumped. One thing that intrigued me though is that the saved screen images are smaller and do not have the clock on them!

I can :) for having finally figured it out but I'm a bit :oops: for not realising how to do it until now!