Carina Dust: NGC 3324 (APOD 07 Oct 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Carina Dust: NGC 3324 (APOD 07 Oct 2008)

Post by bystander » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:33 pm

Last edited by bystander on Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:58 pm

To me, it resembles Jack, The Giant, and his harp (on the left side of the nebula) The prominent dust mountain near the middle is Jack being held by the giant (head visible near the left margin) ahd the Harp is in the giants other hand (lower in the nebula between Jask and the Giant head)
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap081007.html

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:06 pm

Looks like there could be a bubble on the bottom center of the picture. :?

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:40 pm

Are planets formed by the stars/dust clouds activity?

Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:54 pm

like a window into another dimension... =b

I love the zoom in video. Shows some good dust cloud penetration... and we can actually see beyond obscuring dust to other emissions.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:39 pm

Arramon wrote:like a window into another dimension... =b

I love the zoom in video. Shows some good dust cloud penetration... and we can actually see beyond obscuring dust to other emissions.
Yes, the zoom and pan across the Milky Way to the Carina Nebula
2D image is pretty cool… but I’m not satisfied.

What I would love is an interactive 3D model of the Universe (just the Universe we can see would be fine) such that I could speed up and reverse time at will. The entire universe should be animated including all of the motions of all of the objects relative to each other... and I would also like detailed animated surface features for every object… especially dust clouds and have the animations true-to-life such that real-time scientific studies can be made along with greatly speeding up or slowing down time so as to make the astrophysics and planetary geology more apparent to a novice such as myself. It must include a flight simulator capable of landing on alien worlds and travelling at speeds that allow trekking from one side of the universe to the other within a few earth minutes. The pilot must also be immune to heat, cold, gravitational torment and death.

Jacob's Ladder as imagined by Michael Lukas Leopold Willmann Ge 28:12
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

Forelan
Ensign

Post by Forelan » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:25 pm

Google Sky isn't everything you want, but its very useful for browsing images of the universe in relation to each other.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:48 pm

Forelan wrote:Google Sky isn't everything you want, but its very useful for browsing images of the universe in relation to each other.
Thanks Forelan, I have recently acquired Starry Night which does a pretty good job. I just had an outburst onto the forum from my space faring wishful thinking. I have always wanted to fly to and beyond the stars. It is fun to imagine such a journey is possible in a reasonable timeframe.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

Pete
Science Officer
AKA: Long John LeBone

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:50 pm

emc wrote:
Forelan wrote:Google Sky isn't everything you want, but its very useful for browsing images of the universe in relation to each other.
Thanks Forelan, I have recently acquired Starry Night which does a pretty good job. I just had an outburst onto the forum from my space faring wishful thinking. I have always wanted to fly to and beyond the stars. It is fun to imagine such a journey is possible in a reasonable timeframe.
Hi emc, I'm with you about wishing for interstellar space flight. Until Einstein is debunked, check out Celestia, the best interactive 3D model of the Universe I know.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:44 pm

I was recently introduced to http://www.wikisky.org/

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:32 pm

Pete wrote:Hi emc, I'm with you about wishing for interstellar space flight. Until Einstein is debunked, check out Celestia, the best interactive 3D model of the Universe I know.
Thanks for the link Pete!

Starry Night is turning out to be cool but it's not free. I am anxious to check out Celestia after seeing some of the screenshots.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:36 pm

bystander wrote:
I was recently introduced to http://www.wikisky.org/
I noticed they also have a forum... http://wikisky.org/forum/ but it's relatively new and not as populated as this one.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net