APOD: Apollo 11: Onto a New World (2009 July 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Re: Apollo 11 (2009 July 20)

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:48 am

orin stepanek wrote:I don't think we are ready for a Mars trip even though it is being discussed. Next stop Luna. Let's see how that goes.
http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... na#p107480
Art Neuendorffer

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 6:43 pm

Click to play embedded YouTube video.
Art Neuendorffer

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:40 pm

neufer wrote:YouTube: Transformers transforms Apollo 11
Tearing Apart Apollo 11 Inaccuracies
Universe Today | Nancy Atkinson | 18 Dec 2010
The movie trailer for Transformers 3 came out over a week ago, and seeing it is a facepalm moment for any true human spaceflight follower, fan, aficionado, or historian. I mean really, — and yes, I know this is a movie — but how could they portray what they call “a generation’s greatest achievement” so inaccurately? I originally decided I wasn’t going to post it, because it basically re-writes history and I can only imagine how the conspiracy theorists will run with this. Plus getting this kind of thing into the public mindset, I fear, will be another "Capricorn 1″ moment where people construe the movie as proof that NASA is hiding things. But Robert Pearlman over at collectSPACE posted an article today, basically tearing apart the trailer, discussing every inaccuracy in detail. So watch the trailer, above, and then go check out Robert’s article — its great.

And then, while you’re at it, go read Robert Krulwich’s article on NPR’s website, where he gets a unusually lengthy response from Neil Armstrong about what really happened on the Apollo 11 moon walk, and why it was so short.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor