Everybody congratulate me!

The cosmos at our fingertips.
makc
Commodore

Everybody congratulate me!

Post by makc » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:43 am

I have been banned from physicsforums.com for crackpottery :)

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:54 pm

I just knew it, there is hope for you yet :lol:

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:30 pm

That's odd ... the only 'makc' I could find at PF posted only 8 times ... in 2005!

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:28 pm

Hello Marc

Good on you mark.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:41 am

Funny isn't it. Well, you know, on the internet nobody knows you're a dog, right?

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:26 pm

Here is one thread that contains posts by "makc".

Here is another.

There is a third thread with "makc" posts in it.

All threads date to 2005.
Well, you know, on the internet nobody knows you're a dog, right?
Of course.

So unless we know which handle the NSL "makc" was posting under, in PF, none of us (other than makc!) have any means of independently verifying the claim made in the OP, do we?

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Apr 10, 2007 3:15 pm

woo hoo, that was my account, too!.... which means I can continue to use it :D and, Nereid, do you really have to verify each and every claim? can't you just take my word for it?

edit: I have tried to log into that account, and it worked. but after I changed my pass (it was saying it's too old) I have found no difference between being logged in or not. probably account was broken during some PF update :(

edit2: worked out the problem, there was activation link in my mail box.

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:51 pm

makc wrote:woo hoo, that was my account, too!.... which means I can continue to use it :D and, Nereid, do you really have to verify each and every claim?
I don't have to do anything! :)
can't you just take my word for it?

[snip]
You make a claim about 'for crackpottery' on 'physicsforums.com', then I am very curious.

I expected a quick check would reveal all; imagine my surprise when I discovered that 'makc' had last posted there in 2005![/quote]

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:44 pm

well, Nereid, to satisfy your obsession with hard evidence,
and the story behind the ban is a) I was trying to make a point equally valid regardless of validity of its assumptions, which is something people at PF do not endorse, and b) I have accumulated 3 infractions before that for pushing people out of their limits of comfort with things in question(s).

not that I have any regrets for my actions, but I agree that such a behavior was essentially needless, so... r.i.p. my 2nd account 8)

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:15 pm

Thanks makc.

However, all I can see is a PF screen shot with some info about a permaban, due to crackpottery ... how do I (or anyone else* reading this thread) know that's you (whatever 'you' might mean, in the context of On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog)?

And, relevant to the scope of this forum, how could we tell if the alleged crackpottery had anything to do with astronomy (or physics)? After all, despite its name, PF's scope is pretty broad - they even have a Philosophy section!

*other than you of course!

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:59 pm

Nereid wrote:...the context of On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog...
Since you have mentioned that again, I brought that up solely to highlight the fact that same person does not necessary have same UIDs all over the net. I didn't mean I'm not who I say I am, because I am not saying who I am (not that it is impossible to figure out or something... using this very post, anyone can find out my full name, postal address and phone, for example, in 5 minutes or less).
Nereid wrote:...relevant to the scope of this forum, how could we tell if the alleged crackpottery had anything to do with astronomy...
Oops. In fact, it had nothing to do with astronomy, so I guess you have all the rights to lock this thread as irrelevant :)