Eris, Sun, Dysnomia (APOD 19 Jun 2007)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Eris, Sun, Dysnomia (APOD 19 Jun 2007)

Post by JohnD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:58 am

Dysnomia = 'bad name' in dog Latin?

Carl Horn
Asternaut

APOD 19 JUNE 2007 THE SUN AS SEEN FROM ERIS

Post by Carl Horn » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 am

G'day,
The artist's view shows the sun in the background. Pictures I've seen of the sun as seen from Pluto show a small dot not much bigger than a star as seen from Earth. The sun in this picture as seen from Eris is much bigger. Which is correct?
Carl Horn
Nelson, New Zealand
:?:
Carl Horn
Nelson, New Zealand

l3p3r
Science Officer

APOD 2007 June 19 - Eris

Post by l3p3r » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 am

I understand that this is just an artist's impression... but the picture is flawed in just about every way it is possible for such a picture to be flawed. The sun seems very big at two pluto orbits distance, Dysnomia is practically grazing the surface of Eris it is so close, the shadow on Dysnomia is pitch black whereas the dark side of Eris is partly illuminated.

I would say this picture, for example, is much more representative of the actual Eris system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2006-16-a-full.jpg

jimmysnyder
Ensign

Post by jimmysnyder » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:24 am

In Greek mythology, Dysnomia was Eris' daughter. The word means lawlessness.
Making mistakes since 1950.

Angus McPresley
Asternaut

Re: APOD 2007 June 19 - Eris

Post by Angus McPresley » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:27 am

l3p3r wrote:I understand that this is just an artist's impression... but the picture is flawed in just about every way it is possible for such a picture to be flawed. The sun seems very big at two pluto orbits distance, Dysnomia is practically grazing the surface of Eris it is so close, the shadow on Dysnomia is pitch black whereas the dark side of Eris is partly illuminated.

I would say this picture, for example, is much more representative of the actual Eris system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:2006-16-a-full.jpg

I came to this forum to say almost the exact same thing. The sun is WAY too big. It would look more like a bright pinprick from that distance.

The closeness of Dysnomia to Eris could just be perspective thing, though, I guess -- it could be a lot closer to the viewpoint. Which could explain how Eris' shadow could be partially illuminated -- it could be reflected off Dysnomia (given that the sun was that bright at that distance, which we know it would not be).

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:00 pm

Hi Carl!
Seems we both posted the same thing - at exactly the same time! (to the minute)

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... hp?t=12366

Kingslasher
Asternaut

Perspective

Post by Kingslasher » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:05 pm

The only way the sun could appear that large in relation to Eris is in a telescopic view from much farther out. However, that would make the observer see almost entirely the dark side and since that is not the case, I agree the artist's perspective is deeply flawed.

gargoyle
Asternaut

Post by gargoyle » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:10 pm

100% on the mark.
l3p3r wrote:I understand that this is just an artist's impression... but the picture is flawed in just about every way it is possible for such a picture to be flawed. The sun seems very big at two pluto orbits distance, Dysnomia is practically grazing the surface of Eris it is so close, the shadow on Dysnomia is pitch black whereas the dark side of Eris is partly illuminated.

RichardSRussell
Asternaut

Post by RichardSRussell » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:20 pm

Angus McPresley wrote:

I came to this forum to say almost the exact same thing. The sun is WAY too big. It would look more like a bright pinprick from that distance.

The closeness of Dysnomia to Eris could just be perspective thing, though, I guess -- it could be a lot closer to the viewpoint. Which could explain how Eris' shadow could be partially illuminated -- it could be reflected off Dysnomia (given that the sun was that bright at that distance, which we know it would not be).
I too came to this forum to say almost exactly the same thing.

However, since I always at least TRY to figure out a logical explanation for why something appears the way it does, I suggest that perhaps, in the artist's mind, this is what Eris and Dysnomia will look like after the Sun goes nova.
Richard S. Russell
Madison WI
RichardSRussell@tds.net

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:40 pm

I was going to say that Dysnomia looks more like one of those holes in the surface of Mars... :lol:
OK, I'll get my coat... :)
Regards,
Andy.

salientNZ
Asternaut

Post by salientNZ » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:35 pm

[quote="Angus McPresley"]
[/quote]

I also came here to say the same thing. And also to rant a bit :-).
[rant]
Why is it that virtually every artist's impression on APotD is seriously flawed ! Show this picture to almost any Astronomer, and they'll tell you that it is seriously wrong.

In this case, the error is seriously compounded by describing the artist as a "scientific artist". Codswallop! There's sod all science in this picture.
[/rant]

Cheers,
Brent.

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:23 pm

Oh, come on!
They are "artists".
They "interpret reality".
A true image would show a tiny speck of light and a dim sphere. Where's the fun in that?

You'll be saying next that the Mona Lisa didn't really have a smile, that Monet was just a half blind old man and that Guernica would have been better served by a photograph.

John

rigelan
Science Officer

Post by rigelan » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 pm

Codswallop? I like it.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:17 pm

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap070619.html
Yes it is art for art's sake but if I were doing it, I would try to approximate the relative size of the sun as would be viewed from this distance. (It should be markedly smaller than it is) I would be certain that the lighting conditions would be proper enough to be believeable. (the lit surface shouldn't be any lighter than the dark side was depicted). Probably the biggest problem, the Lighting angle of ERIS is different than that of Dysnomia. (Granted that though Sun depicted is far too close, the lighting angles do receede back to the star)

It would be more likely a depiction of Gliese 581d

rigelan
Science Officer

Post by rigelan » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:08 am

Actually, i meant I liked the word 'codswallop'. The picture is nice too.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:02 am

rigelan wrote:Actually, i meant I liked the word 'codswallop'. The picture is nice too.
Cod's 'Wallop' is the eggs from the Cod fish. It's used as a general term (here in England at least) to describe anything that is useless, rubbish or undersirable. As opposed to Caviar, presumably.
Sounds good too, especially in an argument when you're describing someone else's point of view.
"You're talking a right load of old codswallop!" :wink:
Regards,
Andy.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:52 am

Andy Wade wrote:Cod's 'Wallop' is the eggs from the Cod fish. It's used as a general term (here in England at least) to describe anything that is useless, rubbish or undersirable. As opposed to Caviar, presumably.
Sounds good too, especially in an argument when you're describing someone else's point of view.
"You're talking a right load of old codswallop!" :wink:
Much of the so called "artist depictions" are just that, codswallop.
Please, and now scientific artist? Codswallop indeed, , ,

Norval
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:23 am

In this case, the error is seriously compounded by describing the artist as a "scientific artist". Codswallop! There's sod all science in this picture.
It's almost as bad as the "science" they claimed to have in that abysmal movie Sunshine!

Chuck Bennett
Asternaut

Eris

Post by Chuck Bennett » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:27 pm

Last summer (June or July of 2007) you ran a picture of the planet Eris which you said was larger than Pluto. Is the the same as the rumored "Planet X" which is supposed to come close to the earth in 2012?

Qev
Ontological Cartographer

Post by Qev » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:34 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eris_%28dwarf_planet%29

No, Eris is just a trans-Neptunian object, and the ninth-largest known satellite directly orbiting the Sun. Its orbit never brings it closer to the Sun than about 39 AU.
Don't just stand there, get that other dog!

Case
Commander

Re: Eris

Post by Case » Sun Apr 27, 2008 5:13 am

SittingDownMan
Ensign

Re: Eris

Post by SittingDownMan » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:11 am

Thank you for that one.
The picture on the day after that one
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap070620.html
is also a lovely image. A view of three worlds, and a star off to the right.

Human beings have actually walked on two of the worlds in that image.

:) SDM