Polar reversal?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Patrick

Polar reversal?

Post by Patrick » Sun Sep 19, 2004 7:39 pm

For amusement I sometimes listen to Coast to Coast AM with George Noory, a radio show that most often deals with paranormal, supernatural and pseudoscientific topics. And just to confuse us skeptic types, Mr. Noory will sometimes have on actual qualified scientists, including astronomers, who will discuss serious science.
On several occasions the topic has been '"reversal of the Earth's poles" which, according to some of Mr. Noory's guests, is currently in progress and which may cause some serious problems in the years to come.
So my questions are:
Is it possible for the Earth's poles to reverse?
Has this happened in the past?
Is it happening now?
and,
If so, what would be the expected affects on the Earth?
(Would we all have to buy new compasses?)

Patrick
Santa Cruz, CA

Dan Cordell
Ensign

Re: Polar reversal?

Post by Dan Cordell » Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:17 am

Patrick wrote:For amusement I sometimes listen to Coast to Coast AM with George Noory, a radio show that most often deals with paranormal, supernatural and pseudoscientific topics. And just to confuse us skeptic types, Mr. Noory will sometimes have on actual qualified scientists, including astronomers, who will discuss serious science.
On several occasions the topic has been '"reversal of the Earth's poles" which, according to some of Mr. Noory's guests, is currently in progress and which may cause some serious problems in the years to come.
So my questions are:
Is it possible for the Earth's poles to reverse?
Yes. (magnetic poles, that is. The theory that the Earth could actually flip upside down is something I find ludicris and have heard only by doomsayers with no credentials)
Patrick wrote: Has this happened in the past?
Yes, multiple times.
Patrick wrote: Is it happening now?
Yes.
Patrick wrote: and,
If so, what would be the expected affects on the Earth?
Mostly relatively minor, I think. The process is very slow--it may cause strange disruptions in the migration patterns of some animals, but I haven't heard any "doomsday" predictions from any reliable sources. It is possible it could cause problems with some of our satellites, but if that was the case you'd be hearing about it on mainstream news.

Most likely the only major effect will be:
Patrick wrote: (Would we all have to buy new compasses?)
Nope, you'd just have to realize that your compass North is actually South.
Dan Cordell, Giant Space Cow

Patrick

Pole Reversal

Post by Patrick » Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:55 pm

Thanks for the reply, Dan.
I wish some of you scientific types could respond to the fear mongers on late-night radio talk shows. These guys will come up with the most outrageous pseudoscience to write a book and make a buck.
Do you ever listen to Coast-to-Coast AM?
If not, you may want to check out their website to see what they're up to.