APOD capture application for Linux backgrounds?

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Darkstar
Asternaut

APOD capture application for Linux backgrounds?

Post by Darkstar » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:44 am

Does anyone know if a script has been written to set the background for Linux desktops? In particular I am interested in KDE/SuSE.

I know there is a Windows application... If there is nothing available for Linux, would it be possible to get the source code for the Windows app? Or perhaps, the specs on how to get the APOD off the internet, perhaps at some standard URL? I am an experienced programmer so it could possible for me to write something up for Linux if I can gather enough technical detail to put something together...

Thanks for any assistance... Darkstar...

Case
Commander

Re: APOD capture application for Linux backgrounds?

Post by Case » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:31 am

Download 'em with FlashGot extension
That's what Google's got to say about that...

DanEspen
Asternaut

Post by DanEspen » Sun Sep 30, 2007 2:30 pm

Darkstar wrote:Does anyone know if a script has been written to set the background for Linux desktops? In particular I am interested in KDE/SuSE.
This may not be exactly what you are used to.
I cycle my background every hour and a lot of the images I use are from APOD. This script does not come with a GUI or drag and drop or anything fancy, you build a file of command lines, each one paints the background in the way you want:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/despen/rootshow.html

Tampert
Asternaut

Post by Tampert » Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:25 pm

I made a script that seems to workat least as often as the windows program. It uses curl to download the web site. Please feel free to use it and change it as you like. I recently added the feature that the explanation text is downloaded and put in an html file on your desktop. You can of course just comment this out.

Please feel free to change whatever you ant in the script.

http://staff.science.uva.nl/~ygrange/sc ... tchapod.sh

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Thu Feb 07, 2008 5:33 pm

say, cant you just use url [here] to specify background in kde?

alexeena
Asternaut

Post by alexeena » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:14 am

What is the software to read data on windows partition from linux partition? I am using dual boot system and i want to know the software for reading data on the windows partition from the linux partition... I want to use linux but data are all in the windows partition... Is there any software for reading the data ?

shogun
Asternaut

Post by shogun » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:46 pm

alexeena on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:14 pm asked:
What is the software to read data on windows partition from linux partition?
When you "mount" a disk or partition, use the type "-t msdos" to access an MSDOS directory.
Gary

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:56 pm

alexeena wrote:What is the software to read data on windows partition from linux partition?
Samba

merciana
Asternaut

Post by merciana » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:46 am

How to invoke the Linux Terminal in LINUX when a process becomes unresponsive? If a process becomes unresponsive in WINDOWS then we press "alt+ctrl+del" to invoke the task manager & then terminate the process.Is there any similar way to invoke the Linux Terminal so that we can end a process by the 'kill' command when it becomes unresponsive?Any help would be gladly accepted.
Last edited by merciana on Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:20 pm

merciana wrote:How to invoke the Linux Terminal in LINUX when a process becomes unresponsive? If a process becomes unresponsive in WINDOWS then we press "alt+ctrl+del" to invoke the task manager & then terminate the process.Is there any similar way to invoke the Linux Terminal so that we can end a process by the 'kill' command when it becomes unresponsive?Any help would be gladly accepted.
ps -af will list the processes you have running. You can then use the pid to kill the process. Be careful killing processes. Kill child processes first to avoid creating zombies.

sirald66
Asternaut

APOD for LINUX

Post by sirald66 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:51 am

As many geeky types have done, I have made the switch to Linux and sorely miss APOD.

The Windows background updater prompted me to share and expose others regularly to APOD. Is there no super-geek that can port the Windows app over to Linux, and maybe even Mac? 8)