Light Echoes from V838 Mon, diameter? (APOD 03 Feb 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Post by harry » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:51 am

Hello Starnut

I did not say Fe core. Fe forms around the core being the heaviest element formed within the solar envelope apart from Ni.

What you say above is one theory. If this was it than discussion is over. It is not as simple as it looks.

Starnut at this moment I going through my notes on supernova and nova and hypernova.

What I want you to do is look at the fission breakdown of Fe and under what conditions.

Also the production of the elements within the star envelopes.

Also the cycles that occur within the solar envelopes. That involve fission and fusion reactions.

============================

Hello JohnD

Mate at this moment you are right. But I have no strings being pulled.

My other comp has the information, it will take time.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:13 am

The way V838 is expanding; in a few years there won't be much that is visible.. It is really a jewel in the sky though.
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

starnut
Science Officer

Post by starnut » Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:09 am

harry wrote:Hello Starnut

I did not say Fe core. Fe forms around the core being the heaviest element formed within the solar envelope apart from Ni.
Please explain how iron is formed in the envelope and what is formed in the core after the silicon-sulfur fusion. Don't tell me that you still believe that new stars are formed around neutron stars.
What you say above is one theory. If this was it than discussion is over. It is not as simple as it looks.
Oh, yes, it is that simple.
Starnut at this moment I going through my notes on supernova and nova and hypernova.
This is your usual cop-out, Harry! You kept saying that in the past and never gave any detailed explanation for your assertions.
What I want you to do is look at the fission breakdown of Fe and under what conditions.

Also the production of the elements within the star envelopes.

Also the cycles that occur within the solar envelopes. That involve fission and fusion reactions.
Where is the evidence that fission, which is really the radioactive decay of an element, is occurring within the star? If you have data that prove this, please cite your sources but only professional sources. No wackos please.

I think that you really don't know what you are talking about and that you just like being a contrarian for the sake of being one.
My other comp has the information, it will take time.
It shouldn't take any time at all if you know what you are talking about and have all the knowledge already in your head. Just retrieve that knowledge in your memory and put it to print.
Fight ignorance!

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:59 pm

The dialog is "lively" to be sure! My own knowledge of such processes is pretty laughable so all I have are novice opinions at best. V838 is truly gorgeous in a dusty sort of way. Could the nuclear composition that began this event ever be such that it would illuminate dark matter once released? The "fur" looks more akin to matter caught up in magnetic lines of force with say north at 2:00 and south at 8:00 or some other similar alignment. An honestly astounding photo.
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

starnut
Science Officer

Post by starnut » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:13 am

astrolabe wrote:The dialog is "lively" to be sure! My own knowledge of such processes is pretty laughable so all I have are novice opinions at best. V838 is truly gorgeous in a dusty sort of way. Could the nuclear composition that began this event ever be such that it would illuminate dark matter once released? The "fur" looks more akin to matter caught up in magnetic lines of force with say north at 2:00 and south at 8:00 or some other similar alignment. An honestly astounding photo.
Dark matter is dark because it does not reflect or absorb photons. It does not seem to interact with normal matter either. It have not been successfully detected by existing instruments. It is noticed only by its gravitational influence on the galaxies embedded in it and the gravitational lensing it causes to the light from distant galaxies behind it.
Fight ignorance!

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:35 pm

Thanks for this reminder 'cause somewhere in the past I did read just what you explained. Something about centrifugal forces of galaxies and how dark matter holds 'em together.
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

Nereid
Intrepidus Dux Emeritus

Post by Nereid » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:24 pm

The rest of the posts to this thread have been split out to form a new thread in the Asterisk Café, here, because the lengthy discussion that ensued is quite unrelated to Light Echoes from V838 Mon.