Stereo Space Station (APOD 23 Feb 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

Stereo Space Station (APOD 23 Feb 2008)

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:13 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080223.html
Now where did I leave my glasses! :? An awesome photo; be even better with my stereo glasses. :)
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Case
Commander

Re: Stereo Space Station (APOD 2008 Feb 23)

Post by Case » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:06 pm

The sunlit portions of the red and blue are not the same. That works quite bad on the high contrast (blacks and whites) of the far side/left side of the ISS, but the right side of the image looks wonderful in 3D.

rim
Asternaut

Post by rim » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:38 am

I've been visiting APOD for a little more than a year. Great site and the forum here is very useful too. Thanks to all.

Agreed - not a perfect image but great nonetheless.

I knew I had the stereo viewing glasses saved with an old issue of National Geographic. This was the issue from August 1998 which had stereo images of Mars taken by Sojourner in 1997. Much fun...

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:31 pm

I hate these stereo images. I would prefer they show the originals with a link to the "fun" stereo images. At least they did provide a link to the originals. Much better photos.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:26 pm

rim wrote:I've been visiting APOD for a little more than a year. Great site and the forum here is very useful too. Thanks to all.

Agreed - not a perfect image but great nonetheless.

I knew I had the stereo viewing glasses saved with an old issue of National Geographic. This was the issue from August 1998 which had stereo images of Mars taken by Sojourner in 1997. Much fun...
Stereo glasses for books & magazines tend to be red/green rather than the red/blue (or red/cyan) need for APODs.

http://www.berezin.com/3D/3dglasses.htm
http://www.anachrome.com/
Art Neuendorffer

nilky
Asternaut

Post by nilky » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:09 pm

There is another method of producing stereo images that does not require glasses; the stereopticon used this method, and it had be used in my field (radiology) for years.
You simply have two images side-by-side on a screen/viewbox/eyepiece. On a screen or viewbox, all you had to do is cross your eyes slightly so that the images superimposed and let your brain do all of the heavy work. Another method would be to put a piece of opaque material between your eyes extending to between the images that would act as a blinder, so each eye would only see the proper image.
This works well with color-blind people, and with practice it would become automatic.
And it is, of course, in full color.
And I am out of practice, since CT scans now do everything in 3-D anyway (I do CT scans for a living.)
I would really like to see this as an option here!
And I'm off to find some stereopticon sites on the web!
Doug Franklin

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:03 am

nilky wrote:There is another method of producing stereo images that does not require glasses; the stereopticon used this method, and it had be used in my field (radiology) for years.
You simply have two images side-by-side on a screen/viewbox/eyepiece. On a screen or viewbox, all you had to do is cross your eyes slightly so that the images superimposed and let your brain do all of the heavy work. Another method would be to put a piece of opaque material between your eyes extending to between the images that would act as a blinder, so each eye would only see the proper image.
This works well with color-blind people, and with practice it would become automatic.
And it is, of course, in full color.
And I am out of practice, since CT scans now do everything in 3-D anyway (I do CT scans for a living.)
I would really like to see this as an option here!
And I'm off to find some stereopticon sites on the web!
That's interesting... what about just a single different shaded eyeglass lense or piece of see-through plastic that is either reddish or blue and place that over one eye and leave the other normal? I sort of remember trying that when I was young if you didnt have 3d glasses.

Now is this in any way similar to those garbled 3d images that you have to stare at forever just so your eyes can adjust and view the image properly in 3d? those are cool... but alot of people can't even see those even after staring for hours. =b

nilky
Asternaut

Post by nilky » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:13 am

Arramon wrote:
That's interesting... what about just a single different shaded eyeglass lense or piece of see-through plastic that is either reddish or blue and place that over one eye and leave the other normal? I sort of remember trying that when I was young if you didnt have 3d glasses.

Now is this in any way similar to those garbled 3d images that you have to stare at forever just so your eyes can adjust and view the image properly in 3d? those are cool... but alot of people can't even see those even after staring for hours. =b

Using colored filters doesn't allow a color image. And the garbled images that you speak of (they make books) are simply weird... simple images of simple things, and really hard to figger out.

Otherwise, it's a brain thing crossing the eyes and focusing on the central image works for me, and the other two methods will work for 99% of the average population....
Doug Franklin