Alignments and Fires (APOD 09 Jul 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Arramon
Science Officer

Alignments and Fires (APOD 09 Jul 2008)

Post by Arramon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:17 am

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap080709.html

Not fun trying to breathe in this stuff. It was 106 degrees today... and the haze from the fires made the sun hella red/orange. meh. Over 1000 fires burning in cali right now. and 3 more days of heat from this high pressure bubble hovering over us...

I couldnt spot the alignment like in this photo. But the illegal fireworks in the hood are off the hook. =b

sactown baby!

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:56 pm

The fires in California is a real concern. I truly hope they get them put out soon. From the way the smoke is coming into the city; I don't see how you can see the sky at all.

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:07 pm

Ought to make for spectacular sunsets, though.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:02 pm

Might even put enough particulate material in the atmosphere to affect local temperatures over the short term.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:25 pm

"local temperatures... HOT..."

another 100+ degree day

And the sun looks mean and mad through the smoke. Got all my little animals inside so they won't bake in the heat.

astrolabe
Science Officer

Post by astrolabe » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:41 am

Hello Arramon,

I spent some of my teenage years in SoCal in the mid to late 60's and when I left, the passes through the San Bernadino's catching I-15 were on fire as well as the foothills along I-10 through Pomona. It looked like the end of the world 'til we got to the deserts and on to Barstow. It was, however, October, and one got a sense that the fires would end soon. One pass has fires on both sided of the freeway and one side had a 14 mile fireline! It is inconceivable to me to include 100+ temps on top of it all. Good luck, lots of new evacuation reports on the radio. Hope your not one of them. California, fire sefetywise is divided into three regions under the state fire marshall/chief. My brother is the Deputy in charge of the southern part so I get to hear all about it.
"Everything matters.....So may the facts be with you"-astrolabe

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:08 pm

I lived in Simi Valley in 1964/5 when I was 2, I remember the fire then that ringed the entire valley. I believe that it was actually several fires that merged. The Santa Suzanna, Thousand Oaks, and Tapo Canyon fires. That really did feel like the end of the world.

Arramon
Science Officer

Post by Arramon » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:06 pm

I live in Sacramento, center of the valley, so we aren't that close to the actual flames. I'm more concerned for my fiance who went camping down by Santa Cruz. All the regions along the coast and in upper regions surrounding the valley seem to be ablaze. A satellite map shows alot...

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featur ... smoke.html

Just look at that smoke stream off the pacific coastline..... O.o
I'm located just south of Redding, so no immediate danger here.

Andy Wade
Science Officer

Post by Andy Wade » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:06 am

Arramon wrote:I live in Sacramento, center of the valley, so we aren't that close to the actual flames. I'm more concerned for my fiance who went camping down by Santa Cruz. All the regions along the coast and in upper regions surrounding the valley seem to be ablaze. A satellite map shows alot...

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/featur ... smoke.html

Just look at that smoke stream off the pacific coastline..... O.o
I'm located just south of Redding, so no immediate danger here.
Here in Oakworth (West Yorkshire - England) we're complaining that it seems to have rained continuously for the last two or three weeks. I guess you people would be glad of some of our rain. Our Village Gala is tomorrow and we're all a bit miserable that it won't be a nice day for the event and procession, but your current plight with the wildfires puts our small weather problem sharply into perspective. I hope you all stay safe. :)
Regards,
Andy.

jesusfreak16
Ensign

Post by jesusfreak16 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Here in Inola we're getting drowned. 15" above normal in rainfall for the year!
Sorry I can't lend you any. :wink:
T.T.F.N. (Ta Ta For Now!)