Meaty Ores (APOD 11 Sep 2008)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Meaty Ores (APOD 11 Sep 2008)

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:51 am

What’s all this hoopla about meaty ores…? I think meaty ores are a bad idea. If you build heavy ores, they will make people tired before rowing very far. Meaty ores would only be good for whacking alligators and such. We should build light ores like the ones in today’s APOD.

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080911.html
Last edited by emc on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Meaty Ore Rights

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:22 pm

emc wrote:What’s all this hoopla about meaty ores…? I think meaty ores are a bad idea. If you build heavy ores, they will make people tired before rowing very far. Meaty ores would only be good for whacking alligators and such. We should build light ores like the ones in today’s APOD.

Meaty Ore Rights :wink: :

Ed has the right to remain silent, the right to consult with an attorney...
Art Neuendorffer

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Hi Art,

Now you see a small sample of what I have to put up with day after day after day... at least you in Asterisk can ignore me... I've tried... but I can't ignore myself... kinda makes you feel sorry for the folks around me, huh?
Last edited by emc on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:33 pm

Hey Ed! Meaty-ores make light-ores as they burn up in the atmosphere. :lol:
Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 pm

orin stepanek wrote:Hey Ed! Meaty-ores make light-ores as they burn up in the atmosphere. :lol:
Orin
I'm glad you got the joke... 8) but does that mean your as unhinged and twisted as me? :shock: :wink:
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

neufer

Re: Meaty Ores (APOD 20080911)

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:09 pm

emc wrote:What’s all this hoopla about meaty ores…? I think meaty ores are a bad idea. If you build heavy ores, they will make people tired before rowing very far. Meaty ores would only be good for whacking alligators and such. We should build light ores like the ones in today’s APOD.

And now, concentric circles seized the lone boat itself, and
all its crew, and each floating OAR, and every lancepole and
spinning, animate and inanimate, all round & round in one
vortex, carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight.

-- _Moby Dick_ (1851) - Melville
---------------------------------------------------------
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960219.html
_The Comet Swift-Tuttle_ Royal Greenwich Observatory:
http://www.oarval.org/section3_16.htm

<<Periodic comet Swift-Tuttle was last seen in 1862. Its orbit was then calculated to have a period of about 120 years. It was predicted to return in 1982 but was not observed. Because of this, there was speculation that the comet had disintegrated. This theory was supported by its association with the Perseid meteor stream.

Meteor streams like this are believed to be formed of small parts that have become detached from the main body of the comet during one of its close approaches to the Sun. These small pieces become scattered along the length of the comet's orbit around the Sun. If the Earth passes through the resultant stream of particles then we see them as meteors, or 'shooting stars', as they burn up in the atmosphere.

Comet Swift-Tuttle was rediscovered in September 1992, almost 10 years away from its expected position. The reason for this large discrepancy is not due to inaccuracies in the old observations, or in the calculations based on them.

When a comet passes near to the Sun, some of its matter is evaporated by the Sun's radiation. This evaporation does not necessarily happen symmetrically, but can act rather like a variable rocket motor attached to the comet, causing non-symmetrical forces that distort its orbit in an unpredictable way.

From revised calculations made using the observations made in 1992 and those of 1862, it has been shown that the comet is identical with Comet Kegler observed in 1737.

Using the best orbit then available, the comet's position at any time in the future could be predicted. The best estimate for the time of closest passage to the Sun during its next approach was 2126 July 11. An error of +15 days in this date would mean that the comet could collide with the Earth on 2126 August 14.

The chance of a collision would be very small even though the Earth does pass through the orbit of the comet. The comet will be moving at a speed, relative to the Earth, of 60 kilometres per second. This means that there is only a time of a few minutes during which a collision is possible. The comet will have to lie in this very small time interval in its orbit for a collision to occur.

The latest observations have allowed a better orbit for the comet to be determined, and it is now clear that it will not hit the Earth. The revised orbit has allowed the identification of Swift-Tuttle with observations going back 2,000 years.

Although we are confident that the comet will pass by the Earth, it will still be prudent to attempt to follow Swift-Tuttle for as long as possible after the present perihelion passage, so that an accurate orbit determination, uncontaminated by non-gravitational effects, can be made. From mid-1993 (when the distance to the comet would be 3 AU) to, say, 1998 (when its distance will be 15 AU and it will have an apparent magnitude of 26).

The effects of a collision with the Earth of a comet like this, with a diameter of about 10 kilometres, would be devastating. Such a collision is thought by many to have been the cause of the demise of the dinosaurs. The 'explosion' resulting from the collision would be about 1,000 million times greater than the bomb that destroyed Hiroshima. A huge cloud of dust, thrown into the upper atmosphere, would envelop the globe for many years, and this would cause widespread changes in climate, even to producing an ice-age. The effects on civilisation can only be guessed at, but would be very severe.

The chances of such a collision are very difficult to estimate. If we take the known velocity of the comet relative to the Earth, then we can work out that the comet will only collide with the Earth if it is within a three and a half minute time-slot in its orbit. This means, for instance, that an error of only one hour in the timing of the comet will result in it missing the Earth by about 100 thousand kilometres.

If we compare that accuracy with the error of 10 years in this predicted return, we can see how difficult such predictions are!>>
Last edited by neufer on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:12 pm

emc wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:Hey Ed! Meaty-ores make light-ores as they burn up in the atmosphere. :lol:
Orin
I'm glad you got the joke... 8) but does that mean your as unhinged and twisted as me? :shock: :wink:
When I was a kid we used to call them shooting stars! :shock:

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:46 pm

neufer wrote:http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap080911.html
And now, concentric circles seized the lone boat itself, and
all its crew, and each floating OAR, and every lancepole and
spinning, animate and inanimate, all round & round in one
vortex, carried the smallest chip of the Pequod out of sight.

-- _Moby Dick_ (1851) - Melville
http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap960219.html
_The Comet Swift-Tuttle_ Royal Greenwich Observatory:
http://www.oarval.org/section3_16.htm

<<Periodic comet Swift-Tuttle was last seen in 1862. ...[snipped] The chances of such a collision are very difficult to estimate. If we take the known velocity of the comet relative to the Earth, then we can work out that the comet will only collide with the Earth if it is within a three and a half minute time-slot in its orbit. This means, for instance, that an error of only one hour in the timing of the comet will result in it missing the Earth by about 100 thousand kilometres.

If we compare that accuracy with the error of 10 years in this predicted return, we can see how difficult such predictions are!>>
Thanks for legitimizing this posting with the info on Swift-Tuttle... do you think it will keep me out of the slammer?

Reckon there is always the possibility of us getting slammed from outer space. I sometimes tell people that my jokes are better than getting smacked in the head by a meteor.

BTW – found the read on the Essex (couldn't make the link work here but search in Wiki for Essex) interesting too. I expect you already know that Moby Dick was somewhat based on their real-life misfortune.
Last edited by emc on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:48 pm

orin stepanek wrote:When I was a kid we used to call them shooting stars! :shock:

Orin
I’ve heard the term shooting stars many times but I’ve only seen three in live action. It is pretty cool. Shooting stars are one of nature’s treats for our eyes. I think they also remind us to try and be good… kinda like shooting over the bow of a ship… behave or else! Hey, maybe that’s why they’re called “shooting” stars!

They’re also called falling stars… I think I like the name shooting star best… at least “shooting” gives the impression that they are somewhat under control.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

jesusfreak16
Ensign

Post by jesusfreak16 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:26 pm

I've seen a couple big ones.One of them was green,and then it turned into a light pink.
T.T.F.N. (Ta Ta For Now!)

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:40 pm

jesusfreak16 wrote:I've seen a couple big ones.One of them was green,and then it turned into a light pink.
Musta been one of them girl meteors. She was probably jealous or envious of some other girl meteor right before she went.

Either that or it's a clue to its composition.

BTW - What do you get when you cross a physicist with a meteor?

A rocketed scientist

... hey, maybe you'd rather be hit on the head by a meteor?
Last edited by emc on Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:49 pm

emc wrote: Thanks for legitimizing this posting with the info on Swift-Tuttle... do you think it will keep me out of the slammer?
Not a chance. :wink:
emc wrote: Reckon there is always the possibility of us getting slammed from outer space. I sometimes tell people that my jokes are better than getting smacked in the head by a meteor.
Are you sure you didn't tell Dinah Shore one of your puns just before she passed away in 1994?
Art Neuendorffer

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:57 pm

neufer wrote:Are you sure you didn't tell Dinah Shore one of your puns just before she passed away in 1994?
Are you STILL blaming me for her death? There are OTHER pretty girls you know.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:04 pm

emc wrote:
neufer wrote:Are you sure you didn't tell Dinah Shore one of your puns just before she passed away in 1994?
Are you STILL blaming me for her death?
There are OTHER pretty girls you know.
Then you are responsible for the demise of all Dinah Shores? :shock:
Art Neuendorffer

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 pm

neufer wrote:
emc wrote:
Are you STILL blaming me for her death?
There are OTHER pretty girls you know.
Then you are responsible for the demise of all Dinah Shores? :shock:
No. Supposedly, Dinah Shores were demised by one or more meaty ores plus maybe some vile cane hose and birth cakes.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:32 pm

And I thought the Dinah Shores were flooded over by Global Warming

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:09 am

emc wrote:I sometimes tell people that my jokes are better than getting smacked in the head by a meteor.
Contrary to classical theory, your jokes actually seem to be improving a bit. Just because you can't hear me LOL doesn't mean I don't read them all. An exception (I might prefer the meteor) was the interbreeding of the cat with his physicist which is corny enough for the Nerd Channel version of Hee Haw. I can see all those fun guys from the Manhattan Project popping up in the field now.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:51 am

BMAONE23 wrote:And I thought the Dinah Shores were flooded over by Global Warming
Good point with the flood… Tipping raising waiters is another plausible theory that can’t be eroded by political boundaries.

-----------------------------------------------------------

It all makes sense… and it’s a lot like the movie Titanic… (note the recurring boat theme in this thread)

It’s sad but Dinah Shores had to die so that Hue Manns could live…

Hue Manns loved Dinah Shores, especially the young Hue Manns. And Dinah Shores would have loved Hue Manns given the chance to eat… I mean meet… just like Rose and Jack in the movie.

Leonardo DiCaprio (Jack) slipped down into the depths to rot and decay (just like Dinah Shores) so that Kate Winslet (Rose) could live… (just like Hue Manns)
Last edited by emc on Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:52 am

apodman wrote:
emc wrote:I sometimes tell people that my jokes are better than getting smacked in the head by a meteor.
Contrary to classical theory, your jokes actually seem to be improving a bit. Just because you can't hear me LOL doesn't mean I don't read them all. An exception (I might prefer the meteor) was the interbreeding of the cat with his physicist which is corny enough for the Nerd Channel version of Hee Haw. I can see all those fun guys from the Manhattan Project popping up in the field now.
If you think my jokes are getting better… maybe you’ve already been smacked by one of them meaty ores. :wink:

Actually, I was quite proud of my physicist/cat joke and you deserve credit for triggering the synapse with the Schrödinger's cat query. I had no idea until your mention… I always thought physicists experimented with stuff that can destroy the world. I didn’t know kitty cats had that potential.
Last edited by emc on Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:11 pm

jesusfreak16 wrote:I've seen a couple big ones.One of them was green,and then it turned into a light pink.
When you see colors other than white, it is usually space junk re-entering the atmosphere.
Speculation ≠ Science

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:28 pm

Dr. Skeptic wrote:
When you see colors other than white, it is usually space junk re-entering the atmosphere.
Bummer, I was thinking they were flashbacks from my misspent youth.

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:37 am

From the decks of the Titanic, emc wrote:It’s sad but Dinah Shores had to die so that Hue Manns could live…

Hue Manns loved Dinah Shores, especially the young Hue Manns. And Dinah Shores would have loved Hue Manns given the chance to eat… I mean meet…
Johnny Preston sang what J.P. Richardson (The Big Bopper) wrote:Running Bear dove in the water
Little White Dove did the same
And they swam out to each other
Through the swirling stream they came
As their hands touched and their lips met
The raging river pulled them down
Now they'll always be together
In their happy hunting ground

Running Bear loved Little White Dove
With a love big as the sky
With a love that couldn't die
Using all the beats in the verse, the Arranger wrote:ooga-chaga-ooga-ooga
ooga-chaga-ooga

Running Bear ga-chaga-oo dove in the water chaga-ooga
Little White Dove chaga-ooga did the same ga-chaga-ooga
And they swam out chaga-ooga to each other chaga-ooga
Through the swirling chaga-ooga stream they came ga-chaga-ooga
As their hands touched chaga-ooga and their lips met chaga-oo
The raging river chaga-ooga pulled them down ga-chaga-ooga
Now they'll always chaga-ooga be together chaga-ooga
In their hap-py hun-ting ground . .

Reading the fully enhanced verse out loud in tempo several times sequentially has proven to be therapeutic, clearing the mind of off-topic APODs, long-winded contributors not named apodman, other disturbing thoughts, and thoughts in general.

emc
Equine Locutionist

Post by emc » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:42 pm

apodman wrote:[snipped]
Using all the beats in the verse, the Arranger wrote:ooga-chaga-ooga-ooga
ooga-chaga-ooga

Running Bear ga-chaga-oo dove in the water chaga-ooga
Little White Dove chaga-ooga did the same ga-chaga-ooga
And they swam out chaga-ooga to each other chaga-ooga
Through the swirling chaga-ooga stream they came ga-chaga-ooga
As their hands touched chaga-ooga and their lips met chaga-oo
The raging river chaga-ooga pulled them down ga-chaga-ooga
Now they'll always chaga-ooga be together chaga-ooga
In their hap-py hun-ting ground . .

Reading the fully enhanced verse out loud in tempo several times sequentially has proven to be therapeutic, clearing the mind of off-topic APODs, long-winded contributors not named apodman, other disturbing thoughts, and thoughts in general.
Hi apodman,

I tried your methodology with the enhanced Running Bear lyrics but all I kept getting was images of a bear devouring a dove. Reminded me of Dinah Shores’ carnivorous appetite. I guess it goes back to my childhood… I never thought that song made any sense… I mean what self respecting bear would court a bird. Some things just aren’t right… like talking about psychotherapy in an astronomy forum. Although, staring out into space for long periods of time does qualify for certain mental anomalies.

BTW – I got your drift about me being on the Titanic – cute man… cute… wait a minute… wait a minute… uh oh… now I’m having a sinking spell… hey, while I’m down here maybe I’ll look for some of them meaty ores… anybody got a net?
Ed
Casting Art to the Net

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 7:24 pm

emc wrote:... images of a bear devouring a dove.
ga-chaga !

Regarding death in the water outside of movies and oldies, are there any records of meteorites hitting ships at sea, sinking them, or causing maritime casualties? See, we were apparently on topic all along.

Dr. Skeptic
Commander

Post by Dr. Skeptic » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:48 pm

Speculation ≠ Science