Resolved: Bugs? Problems?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
eclipsechasers2
Asternaut

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by eclipsechasers2 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:35 am

I forgot to add that I was using 32-bit IE8 on 64-bit Windows 7; Flash, of course, doesn't work in 64-bit IE8 at all (a problem with Adobe, not APOD).

eclipsechasers2
Asternaut

Post by eclipsechasers2 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:12 pm

Reinstalling Flash on all computers resolved the problem.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Beyond » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:50 pm

I used to get really teed off when i would go somewhere and then try to return to the main page only to have my IE8 display "webpage has expired".
Just recently i discovered that instead of going back to my Asterisk Favorite button and starting over all the time, i could click through the expired page and it would go backwards through what i had just done and i would end up at where i started. Is this a "normal" interaction between the site and IE8 or do i have something strange going on here. I just did a PM and had the webpage expired come up and clicked back through what i had done to get to the post that i clicked the PM on.
Now I'm not so teed off because it only takes 4 clicks to get back when expired webpage shows up, which is quite a lot.
Does anyone else have this problem or is it just me?
Thank you.
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:55 pm

Make that 5 clicks. It just happened when i sent you the last PM. It took me 5 clicks to get back to report a problem. and i would not be surprised if it happens this time also.
Thank you.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm not at all sure what you are talking about. I have no idea where your coming from, going to, or trying to get back to. It's not at all clear. A clear explanation of the sequence of events would help.

Web page expired messages usually have to do with secure (https:) pages. In the case of the Asterisk, that can only be the log on page. If you are clicking back through it to get to the index, you may very well get an error. If you want to get to the index from anywhere on the Asterisk, just go to the top left corner of the page and click on Board index.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:14 pm

I don't sign in or out. i just come and go. According to what i read in the instructions i can do that so i don't have to sign in each time.
Its been a while since its worked correctly for me, but i belive that it used to be after i submitted a post and i clicked on my upper left blue back button, i would return to the index page and could either choose another post to go to or go to a different site altogether.

It does not work that way for me anymore. After i submit a post and click my upper left blue back button, i get a webpage expired screen, so i click the blue button a few more times and go back thru what i posted before it was submitted--then a blank post a reply page--then the page that has the post that i replied to--then the index page.

If it turns out to just be my computer thats having the malfunction all of a sudden, then I'll just have to work around it. If for some reason the Asterisk computer dosen't quite like IE8 too much, then it should be fixed.

Thats as good as i can explain it.
thank you.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:41 pm

beyond wrote:Its been a while since its worked correctly for me, but i belive that it used to be after i submitted a post and i clicked on my upper left blue back button, i would return to the index page and could either choose another post to go to or go to a different site altogether.
If it ever worked this way, I would be extremely surprised.
It does not work that way for me anymore. After i submit a post and click my upper left blue back button, i get a webpage expired screen, so i click the blue button a few more times and go back thru what i posted before it was submitted--then a blank post a reply page--then the page that has the post that i replied to--then the index page.
Once you have submitted a reply, edit, or PM, the page submitted is no longer current (expired). This is normal. When you go through four or five pages to get something submitted, you can only expect it to take that many to get back. I don't know what the problem is what you are describing is normal.

Next to the Left and Right Arrows (blue back and forward buttons), you should have a drop down list. Just open it and select the page you want to go back to. Or, if it is the index you want, just go to the top left corner of your current page (you might have to scroll up) and select Board index.
If it turns out to just be my computer thats having the malfunction all of a sudden, then I'll just have to work around it. If for some reason the Asterisk computer dosen't quite like IE8 too much, then it should be fixed.
There is nothing wrong with your computer or the Asterisk, nothing needs to be fixed. You just have some unrealistic expectations about the way things work. There was a recent upgrade to board and things may behave a little different, but I assure you, everything is functioning properly.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:29 pm

Earlier after i had submitted the post and re-read it, i would then click on the upper blue back button (the one pointing left) and would go back to the index board and choose another subject. NOW when i click to go back to the index board, i get the webpage expired instead.
The same thing happens sometimes when I'm perusing posts for a while WITH-OUT posting. Its almost like I'm "timed out". More when posting--less when browsing.
Scince you do not have the change that i have had; and apparently have had no other inquiries; then it must be something that changed with my computer, possibly at one of the windows up dates. I'm rather used to things screwing up rather strangely, but i had to inquire because sometimes its not only me.
Maybe my IE8 is not quite letting go of the posting cycle like it should, so when I'm re-reading my post after it has been posted, the posting cycle is complete, but my IE8 is still connected and thus gives me an expired webpage.
Sounds good to me. What do you think?
you don't have to reply if you do not want to. with the experience I've had with computers(DON'T ASK!!), i would say my last thought is correct.

At least with this one(so far) i don't think I'll have to take it out back and shoot it. Its FUN, but can get expensive :!:
Thanks for the interaction. I won't bother you anymore about it. BYE

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:02 pm

beyond, don't use the "Back" button after you've posted; just click on the link for the index instead. By clicking the "Back" button, you're trying to return to a page that has, well, expired, just as you said.

And while we're discussing fixes, switch to Firefox rather than use IE; no need to shoot the PC, nor the deputy monitor, when you use a better browser!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:42 pm

Hey guys, i just noticed the the blue arrow below Saturn that has board index next to it. The blue button that i was referring to before was the one in the upper left corner of my computer.
Now i can use the Asterisk arrow!!
Gads!! this site is just so different from the one that i was used to.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:13 am

Ok, i have it figured out now. If I'm in the index pages, i use my computers back button so i do not loose my place and have to figure out where i am.
If I'm in the posting pages, then i use the Board index arrow to exit the posting page to get back to the index page.
Now my problem is solved, so someone can put this post in the "solved" place. Thank you.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:27 pm

This is perhaps not the ideal forum for this request, but I think it comes closest.

I'd like to propose removing the IMG tag completely. A few people either don't know about IMG2, or choose not to use it. The result is slow loading, slightly deformed pages. Is there any reason not to enforce a size limit on ALL images that load on the primary page?
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:34 pm

IMG2 does not preclude slow loading. The full image is still loaded, however big it is, and resized to 400 px wide.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:09 pm

bystander wrote:IMG2 does not preclude slow loading. The full image is still loaded, however big it is, and resized to 400 px wide.
Yes, I've noticed that. Still, the page at least doesn't tend to explode downwards in a way that makes keeping up with the most recent post difficult, and it does make reading through the posts much more comfortable.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:40 pm

I put a tiny change in the css file to make all posted images have a max width of 400px. It will only work in browsers that obey max-width and you'll have to right click => view image to view the full size, though.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Going Green!?

Post by Beyond » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:19 pm

Bystander, i can not initiate a PM. I can reply to one, but I've never been able to initiate one. I click on submit and they only go to my outbox.
I can't find any instructions on HOW to send a PM.
You have any suggestions?
Thank you.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Going Green!?

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:14 am

Outbox means it's sent. Sent Messages means the other party has read it. Not intuitive, I know.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:18 am

Thanks geckzilla, i didn't know that. So i guess that means the message that i sent to the administration last year has still not been read as yet. They must be really back logged. Of course it dosen't mean anything now. So it would seem that the only thing to do if i haven't gotten a reply after a while is to send another Pm asking if they got the first one, so I'll know if something happened to the message or they just don't want to talk to me.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:58 am

Who did you send it to? If it was Nereid, yeah, she hasn't been around.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:36 am

It was addressed to --admin--. At the time that was all i could find. Now it dosen't apply as I'm more used to the site and how it works, at least somewhat.
Enjoy this country's version of the Big Bang in little bites, geckzilla. catch-ya later.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:28 am

Yeah, I don't even know who admin is. :lol:

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:36 pm

probably some ex MIT student who helped to set this forum up 1st time

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

BBCode Help

Post by Beyond » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:16 pm

My problem is that i only partially know how a few things work at this website and there is no-place to go for instruction that i have found. The smiles are not too different from the way that they are done elsewhere :D and the print size seems to work good,and the color may work alright also, but as for the rest of the things - just don't have the foggiest idea of how to use them here and in the P.M.'s.

Is it possible to sometime in the future,to make up a tutorial section that explains the function and use of all these clickable items??

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:26 pm

beyond wrote:Is it possible to sometime in the future,to make up a tutorial section that explains the function and use of all these clickable items??
Many forums like this provide a category just for making test posts. It allows people to try out different features, and can just get swept clean every few days. That would be nice here.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:27 pm