Resolved: Bugs? Problems?

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Re: Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:14 am

Thanks. I had that in windows vista home premium, but never used it. Now that i have windows 7 home premium, i notice that some things are not set up the way they were in vista, but I'll see what i can do((read that 'figure out')).
To find the Truth, you must go Beyond.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:25 am

Ok--Great!! I google how to crop pictures in windows 7 and get instructions, which i print out. I follow the instructions and once i change the file name of the picture and click save, i no longer have a visable picture to crop, but i end up with with BIG vertical and horizontal scroll bars because the picture has become so BIG and to make matters worse - there's no way to delete the damn thing!! Even starting over the same damn big-ass picture is still there!!
I would say that the people who wrote the instructions are all fecal orifices!! Well,,,,,maybe tomorrow.

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Post by Beyond » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:27 pm

OK now. They didn't mention a couple of small things that i didn't know about, in the instructions. It's always the little things that get ya. :?

Beyond
500 Gigaderps

Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by Beyond » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:31 am

Whats going on with the Asterisk computer?? I've had to log-in 3 times in the last 2.5 hours. The first time i got the Capcha run around. The second two were 'normal' logins.

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:36 am

Beyond wrote:Whats going on with the Asterisk computer?? I've had to log-in 3 times in the last 2.5 hours. The first time i got the Capcha run around. The second two were 'normal' logins.
Yeah, something is broken with the login system. Even though cookies are getting set on my system, I have to login fresh every time I connect to the site, and I get automatically logged out after an hour or two.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Thu Feb 24, 2011 12:40 pm

And I thought it was just me. :mrgreen:

It looks like the forum settings have changed at the admin level, I'm guessing in response to spammers.

Rob

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:05 pm

I think the problems I'm having is the system is again attaching sid=******************************** to the end of url's.
Know the quiet place within your heart and touch the rainbow of possibility; be
alive to the gentle breeze of communication, and please stop being such a jerk.
— Garrison Keillor

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:29 pm

Chris Peterson wrote:
Beyond wrote:Whats going on with the Asterisk computer?? I've had to log-in 3 times in the last 2.5 hours. The first time i got the Capcha run around. The second two were 'normal' logins.
Yeah, something is broken with the login system. Even though cookies are getting set on my system, I have to login fresh every time I connect to the site, and I get automatically logged out after an hour or two.
Bystander suggested recreating the Favorites link and deleting the old cookies (at the bottom of the login screen) this worked for me

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:30 pm

Is is just me or have the "Smilies" buttons to the right vanished? I can mouse over the vacant squares and read what should be there but the icons have vanished
They don't seem to appear in posts either
http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 24#p143908

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:37 pm

The board has moved one more time; this should be the last move. I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience.

bystander had earlier posted a solution to the login problem. Please recreate your bookmark so it reads http://asterisk.apod.com/, then delete the board cookies by clicking on the Delete all board cookies link on the bottom right of the page. You'll have to log in one more time, but then should stay logged in.

BMAONE23, smilies have disappeared. Obviously a few adjustments still need to be made, and I hope people will let us know what they are; thanks for this heads-up!
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Bugs? Problems? Report them here!

Post by rstevenson » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:13 am

I just had an odd problem occur over the last few days.

I'm in the habit of viewing all active posts, so I just have to hit Command-R to refresh the window to see what's been posted lately. And my board prefs are set to be always logged in. But for the last few days there was almost no activity. I was about to post here asking where everyone went on their holidays when I thought to log out and back in. Et voila!, I had two pages of posts to review.

I've been using that way of viewing the forum for many months, so to have it stop working like that is odd. Alas, I have no idea what caused it, but thought I'd mention it here in case anyone else has something similar happening. Techy details: Mac OS X v10.6.7, Firefox v3.6.13.

Rob

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

APOD-Asterisk link date confused

Post by JohnD » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:10 am

The link between the APOD for today, 25/4/11 (US 4/25/11) and the Asterisk discussion is confused. It tries to take you to the Asterisk discussion of the APOD of the 26th.
You get a warning that you are trying to go to the discussion of a non-existent APOD and an opportunity to go to the right Asterisk forum, so well planned!
Will this sort itself out as tomorrow rolls around, or will it persist, in which case the above auto-sort out won't work!

John

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks, John. TPTB have been informed.

johndhynes

APOD: Monsters of IC 1396 (2011 Apr 25) (Broken Links)

Post by johndhynes » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:26 am

The navigation links for this page (http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110425.html) are wrong. That is:

Tomorrow's picture: pixels in space links to http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110427.html (2011 Apr 27)
< links to http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110425.html (2011 Apr 25, the same page)
> links to http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap110427.html (2011 Apr 27)
Discuss links to http://asterisk.apod.com/discuss_apod.php?date=110426 (2011 Apr 26)

In other words, all the links are for tomorrow's APOD, i.e. 2011 Apr 26.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Re: APOD: Monsters of IC 1396 (2011 Apr 25)

Post by owlice » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:43 am

Yes, thank you. TPTB have been informed and I expect this will be fixed later today.

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Re: APOD-Asterisk link date confused

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:46 am

JohnD wrote:The link between the APOD for today, 25/4/11 (US 4/25/11) and the Asterisk discussion is confused. It tries to take you to the Asterisk discussion of the APOD of the 26th.
You get a warning that you are trying to go to the discussion of a non-existent APOD and an opportunity to go to the right Asterisk forum, so well planned!
Will this sort itself out as tomorrow rolls around, or will it persist, in which case the above auto-sort out won't work!

John

I was going to post the same issue......
Forget the box, just get outside.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:02 am

Indigo_Sunrise wrote:I was going to post the same issue......
I'd have posted the same answer. :D

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

APOD-Asterisk link date confused

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue May 10, 2011 1:40 pm

I know this was mentioned in another thread, but that thread is now locked. However, I'm having the same issue that was noted on 25 Apr 11, in that I click on the "Discuss" link from the APOD main image page, and get taken to the discussion thread for 8 May 11.
And as much as I enjoyed my Mother's Day, I'm pretty sure today is 10 May......

So is this just me? Or my machine????

:?

P.S. I cleared my cache/cookies/temp files/etc., but this still happens.

:?:
Forget the box, just get outside.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue May 10, 2011 1:58 pm

Previous (<) and Next (>) Links are also off (07 May and 09 May, respectively).
open space link is also off (09 May)
— Garrison Keillor

revloren
Ensign

Post by revloren » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:17 pm

Hi all. New guy here. First post. I have a couple of questions.

1. When I enter here via APOD, there is a 'Discus' tree, which brings up the Board Index plus 'Active Topics' where the 'Learning and Resources' section is on the main Index (which is how I found this thread). But by clicking on the Board Index, I can't find this 'Active Topics' section. Where does it live :?:

2. And a bigger issue: Has anyone else's automatic backgrounder program died, the one that refreshes your wallpaper daily with the APOD shot. I loved having a new background every day! Now it doesn't work, and the link at the top of the APOD FAQ (http://nightskylive.net/software/apod/)seems to be dead.

What gives? Or is it just my whacked out laptop :?

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:25 pm

For your second question, please see here: http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 16#p143812
In short, the automatic backgrounder program doesn't work in Windows 7, so if you have switch to that OS, that's the problem.

For your first question, if you are entering Asterisk via the "Discuss" link on the APOD page, you are going immediately to the discusstion thread for that APOD. All of these threads are in the forum called The Bridge: Discuss an Astronomy Picture of the Day. Once you click on "Board Index," you can click on DISCUSS in the top blue bar which sections off the first set of forums to find Active Topics.

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:23 pm

owlice wrote:For your second question, please see here: http://asterisk.apod.com/viewtopic.php? ... 16#p143812
In short, the automatic backgrounder program doesn't work in Windows 7, so if you have switch to that OS, that's the problem.

For your first question, if you are entering Asterisk via the "Discuss" link on the APOD page, you are going immediately to the discusstion thread for that APOD. All of these threads are in the forum called The Bridge: Discuss an Astronomy Picture of the Day. Once you click on "Board Index," you can click on DISCUSS in the top blue bar which sections off the first set of forums to find Active Topics.

Another thing you can do is after entering VIA the [DISCUSS] option at the bottom of the APOD image, you could just <CLICK> on the "Saturn" image at the top to get to the entire forum index page. Then Bookmark that page.

owlice
Guardian of the Codes

Post by owlice » Thu Jun 30, 2011 10:33 pm

BMAONE23 wrote: Another thing you can do is after entering VIA the [DISCUSS] option at the bottom of the APOD image, you could just <CLICK> on the "Saturn" image at the top to get to the entire forum index page. Then Bookmark that page.
I think the poster doesn't want the index page, but the one that shows the active topics instead.

revloren
Ensign

Post by revloren » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:16 am

I think I answered one of my questions. I did some 'streamlining' of my laptop and that's when the APOD backgrounder program stopped working. So today I noticed APOD was liste under 'Programs' pn my Windows start up menu. I just clicked 'Run APOD' and now my background seems to be updating. Woohooo! There is also a 'preferences' option there as well.

Next question: How come I can't have a signature line or an Avatar? Am I not as cool as you guys (yet)? Trust me, I can geek out with the best of them! :wink:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:11 pm

revloren wrote:Next question: How come I can't have a signature line or an Avatar? Am I not as cool as you guys (yet)? Trust me, I can geek out with the best of them! :wink:
Not enough posts. You must have at least 10 posts before you can create an avatar or signature.
— Garrison Keillor