APOD: Fireball over Edmonton (2008 Nov 25)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
kovil
Science Officer

APOD: Fireball over Edmonton (2008 Nov 25)

Post by kovil » Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:14 am

harry
G'day G'day G'day G'day

Re: Fireball over Edmonton

Post by harry » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:24 am

G'day from the land of ozzzzz

Hello Kovil

Back in 1969 I saw a similar fireball over Sydney University.
Harry : Smile and live another day.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:20 pm

<< Then came the night of the first falling star. It was seen early in the morning, rushing over Winchester eastward, a line of flame high in the atmosphere. Hundreds must have seen it, and taken it for an ordinary falling star. Albin described it as leaving a greenish streak behind it that glowed for some seconds. Denning, our greatest authority on meteorites, stated that the height of its first appearance was about ninety or one hundred miles. It seemed to him that it fell to earth about one hundred miles east of him. I was at home at that hour and writing in my study; and although my French windows face towards Ottershaw and the blind was up (for I loved in those days to look up at the night sky), I saw nothing of it. Yet this strangest of all things that ever came to earth from outer space must have fallen while I was sitting there, visible to me had I only looked up as it passed. Some of those who saw its flight say it travelled with a hissing sound. I myself heard nothing of that. Many people in Berkshire, Surrey, and Middlesex must have seen the fall of it, and, at most, have thought that another meteorite had descended. No one seems to have troubled to look for the fallen mass that night. But very early in the morning poor Ogilvy, who had seen the shooting star and who was persuaded that a meteorite lay somewhere on the common between Horsell, Ottershaw, and Woking, rose early with the idea of finding it. Find it he did, soon after dawn, and not far from the sand pits. An enormous hole had been made by the impact of the projectile, and the sand and gravel had been flung violently in every direction over the heath, forming heaps visible a mile and a half away. The heather was on fire eastward, and a thin blue smoke rose against the dawn.>>
-------------------------------------------------
Why gosh damn, I'm going after the shotgun!
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ol3NRuMOEGk
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=o9VWC8eB9ic
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=s7811lx10y4
Art Neuendorffer

Indigo_Sunrise
Science Officer

Post by Indigo_Sunrise » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:53 pm

Today's APOD video was really cool!!! 8)

I've only ever seen one fireball, and it was no where near as spectacular as that one was. (It was a while ago, and now I'm wondering if it could even be classified as a 'fireball'. I guess old age does that...)

But what a fortuitous event to be caught on video!
Forget the box, just get outside.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:38 pm

Fireball lights up the sky above western Canada
Late last week, a big space rock smashed into Earth's atmosphere, where
it burst into incandescence and created a visual display few will ever forget.
Astronomy.com - 2008 Nov 25

CTV News Videos
http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/fire-in ... clip114987
http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/fire-in ... clip115020

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Fireball over Edmonton (2008 Nov 25)

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:02 pm

I liked the movie; I never seen anything that big fall out of the sky. 8)

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Gosfrei
Asternaut

Post by Gosfrei » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:03 pm

Darn it, I missed that one!

The video is wonderful; I hope they can triangulate and find the pieces. If it had snowed recently, and there's a good chance it did, I REALLY hope they can locate it before the next snowfall. The marks in the snow would help them find the remains ever so much more easily.

And there are two minor errors in the description. The Peace Officer, Adam Baxter, was on Saskatchewan Avenue in Devon AB, when his dashboard camera caught that sight. Devon is about 40 kilometres southwest of Edmonton. The first, I admit, is a very minor distinction (to most of us, maybe, but NOT to Mr. Baxter!). The second is understandable, given the logo in the news clip.

There's also a video of the fireball at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7I-LREViplo&NR=1 which only makes me wonder where all the photographers are when UFOs are claimed? And Sasquatch/Bigfoot??

Cheers,
Neil in SK

HollyHart
Asternaut

Re Nov 25, 2008 Fireball

Post by HollyHart » Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:25 pm

"... where large pieces would have impacted, were they to have survived reentry ..."
REENTRY? When was this piece of cosmic junk ever in Earth's atmosphere in the past, so that it could reenter?

Holly

Confused
Science Officer

Post by Confused » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:54 pm

Since this is from youtube, I assume it requires Flash. I assume that is why the additional links don't work for me.

I have avoided letting Flash get installed because it is often used for obnoxious and intrusive commercials.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Meteorite Field Found in Saskatchewan (2008 Dec 01)

Post by bystander » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:59 pm

Meteorite field found in Saskatchewan
A shower of space rocks over Canada has solar system researchers buzzing, and we have pictures from the scene.
Astronomy.com - 2008 Dec 01

neufer

Re: Meteorite Field Found in Saskatchewan (2008 Dec 01)

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:08 pm

bystander wrote:Meteorite field found in Saskatchewan
A shower of space rocks over Canada has solar system researchers buzzing, and we have pictures from the scene.
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2008 ... orite.html
http://www.thetechherald.com/article.ph ... skatchewan
-------------------------------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lloydminster

<<Lloydminster is a Canadian city which has the unusual geographic distinction of straddling a provincial border. The provincial border runs north to south, falling directly on 50th Avenue (Meridian Avenue) in the centre of Lloydminster. Addresses east of 50th Avenue are considered to be in Lloydminster, Saskatchewan and addresses west of 50th Avenue are considered to be in Lloydminster, Alberta. Lloydminster's unique situation is reflected in other legal matters, including its time zone. Alberta law requires the use of daylight saving time, while Saskatchewan does not observe daylight saving time. Lloydminster's charter allows it to follow Alberta's use of daylight saving time on both sides of the provincial border; this places the city in the Mountain Standard Time Zone and synchronizes clocks with those of Alberta. Lloydminster follows the Saskatchewan schedule when voting in municipal elections. Controversially, Lloydminster was not exempted from recent anti-smoking legislation passed by Saskatchewan's legislature. Citizens responded by initiating a referendum against the wishes of the mayor, as permitted in the charter, which resulted in the enactment of a city-wide anti-smoking bylaw.
Intended to be an exclusively British Utopian settlement centred around the idea of sobriety, the town was founded in 1903 by the Barr Colonists, who came directly from the United Kingdom. At a time when the area was still part of the Northwest Territories, the town was located astride the Fourth Meridian of the Dominion Land Survey. This meridian was intended to coincide with 110° west longitude although the imperfect surveying methods of the time led to the meridian being placed a few hundred meters west of this longitude. The town was named for Anglican Bishop George Exton Lloyd, a strong opponent of non-British immigration to Canada. During a nearly disastrous immigration journey, which was badly planned and conducted, he distinguished himself with the colonists and replaced the Barr Colony's leader and namesake Isaac Montgomery Barr during the colonists' journey to the eventual townsite. Since Lloydminster's founders were attempting to create a utopian, temperate society, alcohol was not available in Lloydminster for the first few years after its founding. A bylaw prohibiting nude entertainment is also in place.>>
---------------------------------
Art Neuendorffer

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Thu Dec 04, 2008 1:02 am

Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

sfcraiger
Asternaut

Post by sfcraiger » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:48 am

thats awesomely scary to see in person

neufer

Re: Meteorite Field Found in Saskatchewan (2008 Dec 01)

Post by neufer » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:56 pm

bystander wrote:Meteorite field found in Saskatchewan
http://www.areavoices.com/astrobob/?archive=2010-01 wrote:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wVKunYv ... r_embedded[/youtube]
<<I think you'll enjoy this short video of meteorite hunter Shauna Russell removing a newly-discovered meteorite from an old site near Springwater, Saskatchewan. She and a party of seasoned meteorite hunters recently returned to the site of the original Springwater meteorite discovery to look for more. No one knows when Springwater fell but several meteorites were found in a field near the city back in 1931. Springwater is a fairly rare type of meteorite called a pallasite, composed of iron and translucent green-yellow crystals of the mineral olivine. Want to find your own meteorite? Just do what Shauna did -- return to the site of original discovery. With patience, a keen eye and metal detector, you just might find another.>>
Art Neuendorffer

wonderboy
Commander
AKA: Paul

Post by wonderboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:36 pm

I kind of seen a fireball meteor during the november shower. I was in my car with the girlfriend and the full outside of the car the sky and whatnot lit up tremendously, i never seen it fall, but thats what it was.

The Edmonton meteor is really cool though, one of the best videos I've ever seen.