Scale for Picture: Barchans on Mars (2009 April 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Allen
Asternaut

Mars Barchans 20 April

Post by Allen » Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:03 am

LIFE ON MARS?? SCIENTISTS FIND FACE BURIED IN SANDS OF MARS!!!
Super site - best wishes - Allen

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Re: Scale for Picture: Barchans on Mars (2009 April 20)

Post by JohnD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:24 am

Chris Peterson wrote: Keep in mind that the first images showing canali were made only a bit over a century ago. And the first good photographs showing the surface (with no canali) were made within a few decades of that. Is it really reasonable that all these structures were completely covered with sand in such a short time?
Those early "images" were just that, artistic impressions drawn by hand.
Comparing them with today's high resolution photographs is not comparing like with like.

John

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:13 pm

JohnD wrote:
Chris Peterson wrote: Keep in mind that the first images showing canali were made only a bit over a century ago. And the first good photographs showing the surface (with no canali) were made within a few decades of that. Is it really reasonable that all these structures were completely covered with sand in such a short time?
Those early "images" were just that, artistic impressions drawn by hand.
http://www.delmonicositaliansteakhouse. ... li-big.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannoli wrote:
Cannoli are Sicilian pastry desserts. The singular is cannolo (or in sicilian language cannolu), meaning “little tube”, with the etymology stemming from the Latin "canna", or reed. Originating in the Palermo area, cannoli were historically prepared as a treat during Carnevale season, possibly as a fertility symbol; one legend assigns their origin to the harem of Caltanissetta. The dessert eventually became a year-round staple throughout what is now Italy. As with Sicilian cassata, Sicilian cannoli probably date back to the time of Arab domination.

Cannoli consist of tube-shaped shells of fried pastry dough, filled with a sweet, creamy filling usually containing ricotta cheese (or alternatively, but less traditionally, sweetened Mascarpone) blended with some combination of vanilla, chocolate, pistachio, Marsala wine, rosewater or other flavorings. Some chefs add chopped succade or chocolate chips. They range in size from "cannulicchi", no bigger than a finger, to the fist-sized proportions typically found in Piana degli Albanesi, south of Palermo, Sicily. Sometimes cannoli can be found with the shells dipped in chocolate, in addition to being stuffed with filling.
------------------------------------------------
http://www.mars.com/global/News+and+Media/News+archive/Waco+Landfill.htm wrote:
Local landfill a green energy source for Mars
10 July 2008 - United States

<<As part of a company-wide effort to reduce its environmental footprint around the world, Mars, Incorporated is striving to make its operations more sustainable at every level. As a recent example, one of the company’s largest U.S. snack food plants located in Waco, Texas has converted 60% of its heating fuel source from natural gas to methane gas harvested from the city landfill. With enough supply to power the plant’s boilers for the next 25 years, Mars is significantly reducing its carbon footprint and production costs. Using renewable methane will save the company over half a million dollars a year. It will also reduce the plant’s annual greenhouse gas emissions by more than 10,000 metric tons. That is equivalent to removing 1,900 cars from the road.

“All Snickers made at Waco will be truly green,” said Todd Lachman, president of Mars Snackfood U.S., at the kick-off celebration in May, “not in color, but in the way in which they are manufactured. Snickers, Starburst and Skittles will all be made in a plant powered in large part by renewable energy.”

Replacing natural gas with methane rather than other green energy sources provides a double benefit for the city of Waco and the environment, since city landfills account for the second largest source of human-related methane emissions in the U.S. . “Using all the methane that the landfill produces solves a local and a global environmental problem,” said David Prybylowski, sustainability director for Mars Snackfood US. “Mars is removing methane emissions in the city, eliminating the risk of combustion and reducing powerful global warming gasses.”

The natural byproduct of decomposing organic matter, methane is 20 times more potent a greenhouse gas than carbon dioxide and is also highly flammable. Because of these physical and environmental concerns, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) mandates that municipalities and counties capture and mitigate methane gases once landfills reach a certain size. Mars helps Waco do just that by recycling this material for fuel.

The project originally began as the idea of now-retired Mars associate Norm Burgess. As a Waco site engineer, Burgess developed a proposal for fueling the plant with landfill methane in the late 1990s. In time, all the necessary partners and pieces to make his idea a reality came together, culminating in May of this year when the methane-powered boilers were ignited. Methane is harvested through wells and piped from the city landfill to the Mars plant five miles away. At present, 56 wells supply 60% of the plant’s heating fuel needs, and there are plans to dig another 10 wells to increase capacity.>>
Art Neuendorffer

aristarchusinexile
Commander
AKA: Sputnick

Post by aristarchusinexile » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Yes. But remember, I'm not saying "for sure there are canals" .. I'm only saying "it is my belief there are canals."
Duty done .. the rain will stop as promised with the rainbow.
"Abandon the Consensus for Individual Thought"

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:11 pm

neufer wrote:
“All Snickers made at Waco will be truly green,” said Todd Lachman, president of Mars Snackfood U.S., at the kick-off celebration in May, “not in color, but in the way in which they are manufactured. Snickers, Starburst and Skittles will all be made in a plant powered in large part by renewable energy.”
Snicker .. all greens made at Snickers will be truly Whacko?

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Thu Apr 23, 2009 9:49 pm

The eye is an efficient photo detector that can react in 1/10 second to capture a fleeting lull in the turbulent distortions of ground based telescope. It was probably not until Mariner that we could be sure that the canali some observers said that they had seen really didn't exist.
Art Neuendorffer

JohnD
Tea Time, Guv! Cheerio!

Post by JohnD » Thu Apr 23, 2009 10:08 pm

aristarchusinexile wrote:Yes. But remember, I'm not saying "for sure there are canals" .. I'm only saying "it is my belief there are canals."

Well that's alright then.
You have faith.
No point in discussing it any more.

John

aristarchusinexile
Commander

Post by aristarchusinexile » Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:23 pm

JohnD wrote:
aristarchusinexile wrote:Yes. But remember, I'm not saying "for sure there are canals" .. I'm only saying "it is my belief there are canals."

Well that's alright then.
You have faith.
No point in discussing it any more.

John
My desire for this discussion is mostly that I might learn, to be involved in exploration. As an example, I've learned that Ground Penetrating Radar penetrates ice far better than dry sand. I only said "it is my belief there are canals" to reveal I am not basing on view on scientific evidence, and that I am not being dictatorial in demanding others hold my belief. So, I hope the discussion will go on, as Mars is a fascinating planet.