APOD: Apollo 11: Onto a New World (2009 July 20)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
orin stepanek
Plutopian

APOD: Apollo 11: Onto a New World (2009 July 20)

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:29 am

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap090720.html

I don't have quick time and I don't really want to download it. :( Wish there was an option to play it with Realplayer or Windows media player! Anyway Happy 40th! 8)

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

makc
Commodore

Re: Apollo 11 (2009 July 20)

Post by makc » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:43 am

orin stepanek wrote:I don't have quick time and I don't really want to download it.
+1

StACase
Science Officer

Post by StACase » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:43 am

If you can't hit the broad side of a barn at 25 feet, you aren't going to hit the target at 100 meters.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:12 pm

StACase wrote:This is fun
Funny, but false.

r75173
Asternaut

Post by r75173 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:14 pm

I do have QuickTime, but the NASA videos show only an initial few frames and then stall as I can see the download gauge continue to move rightward until the entire video is downloaded. Even after the download completes, however, I never see anything more than those initial few frames. :(

I have successfully downloaded and viewed NASA HD videos in the recent past (when the HD website was first established). I wish that NASA would set up its website to simply allow these new Apollo 11 videos to be downloaded and played later, just as NASA did with its initial videos.

craterchains
Commander

Post by craterchains » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:12 pm

Yes, 40 years since we went to the moon for the first time.
Now we have to reverse engineer the technology that got us there in the first place just to try and get back?!?!
That NASA erased the original tapes and recorded over them?!?!
That we continue to get lied to, deceived, misinformed and most images are never released to the public until after they have been tampered with?!?!
That we no longer have live feed outside of the ISS and shuttles?!?!

Yes thank you NASA (run by the DoD) for all that you have done to us.
Party on dudes!
"It's not what you know, or don't know, but what you know that isn't so that will hurt you." Will Rodgers 1938

rstevenson
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Post by rstevenson » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:28 pm

r75173 wrote:I do have QuickTime, but the NASA videos show only an initial few frames and then stall as I can see the download gauge continue to move rightward until the entire video is downloaded. Even after the download completes, however, I never see anything more than those initial few frames. :(
I just tried them and they worked fine. Do you have the latest version of QT? Mine is the Quicktime Player v7.6.2 (on Mac OS X).

Rob

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:11 pm

• --------------------------------------------------
    40 years after Apollo 11: What's our next step?
    By Traci Watson, USA TODAY

<<Even some strong supporters of space exploration say the best place to send America's astronauts would be nowhere at all.

Opponents of human spaceflight say robots can do the job just as well as astronauts, pose no safety worries and work cheaply. Sending humans into space isn't worth it, they say.

"The cost and risks are just too high," says physicist Robert Park of the University of Maryland, who wants NASA's manned program to be phased out.

Human space exploration also has run into trouble in Congress. In its spending bill for 2008, lawmakers ordered NASA not to spend any money to study sending humans to Mars.

"Manned space travel adds far more cost than is justified in terms of scientific return," says Rep. Barney Frank, D-Mass. Frank says he doesn't want to end the astronaut program but doesn't want to send humans to Mars or the moon. He'd restrict astronauts to tasks robots can't handle, such as the recent upgrade of the Hubble Space Telescope by a seven-astronaut team.

Opposition to NASA's astronaut program stretches across the political spectrum. Republican Newt Gingrich, former speaker of the House, wrote in Aviation Week & Space Technology last year that NASA should get out of the business of sending humans to space to make way for private space entrepreneurs.

For NASA, the most opposition may be from the people who pay the bills: the public.
    In a 2005 USA TODAY poll, 58% opposed spending money on a human mission to Mars.

Americans may support human spaceflight, but they don't make it a high priority, says historian Roger Launius of the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum. Nor do political leaders, he says. "That leaves us in low-Earth orbit for the foreseeable future," Launius says.>>
    --------------------------------------------------
http://www.colbertnation.com/the-colber ... 9/bob-park
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:33 pm

neufer wrote:Americans may support human spaceflight, but they don't make it a high priority, says historian Roger Launius of the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum. Nor do political leaders, he says. "That leaves us in low-Earth orbit for the foreseeable future," Launius says.>>
I finally downloaded Quick time because I had to view the video's

I'm in favor of space exploration because I believe the future survival of man will be determined by his ability to find and colonize habitable planets. But I also believe it to be a long process and technology will have to advance beyond our imagination; So 40 years will seem as nothing; for this will probably take a few years. Hope man learns to get along with his neighbors in the meantime.

Orin
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:53 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
neufer wrote:Americans may support human spaceflight, but they don't make it a high priority, says historian Roger Launius of the Smithsonian Institution's National Air and Space Museum. Nor do political leaders, he says. "That leaves us in low-Earth orbit for the foreseeable future," Launius says.>>
I'm in favor of space exploration because I believe the future survival of man will be determined by his ability to find and colonize habitable planets. But I also believe it to be a long process and technology will have to advance beyond our imagination; So 40 years will seem as nothing; for this will probably take a few years. Hope man learns to get along with his neighbors in the meantime.
Let developing countries like India & China (who apparently can't afford to give much of their population decent food & shelter much less to cut back on pollution & greenhouse gases) send men back to the moon.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:39 pm

neufer wrote:Let developing countries like India & China (who apparently can't afford to give much of their population decent food & shelter much less to cut back on pollution & greenhouse gases) send men back to the moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... population
Hi Art! You made me curious; I never realized The USA was the third largest populace until I looked it up. China and India does indeed have a population problem. I don't think global population is an easy problem to solve; neither is pollution. :shock:

Orin
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:38 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
neufer wrote:Let developing countries like India & China (who apparently can't afford to give much of their population decent food & shelter much less to cut back on pollution & greenhouse gases) send men back to the moon.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_co ... population
Hi Art! You made me curious; I never realized The USA was the third largest populace until I looked it up. China and India does indeed have a population problem. I don't think global population is an easy problem to solve; neither is pollution. :shock:
We used to rely upon war, disease & famine to hold down population.

Today contraceptives, modernity & intelligent planning are needed:

Art Neuendorffer

neufer

Post by neufer » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:32 pm

Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:01 am

Photographic proof; and yet there are those that believe that it was all faked! Well the equipment is still up there on the moon. Some day this place may become an historic site for visitors! :mrgreen:

Orin
Orin

Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Post by Chris Peterson » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:09 am

orin stepanek wrote:Photographic proof; and yet there are those that believe that it was all faked! Well the equipment is still up there on the moon. Some day this place may become an historic site for visitors!
There can be no photographic proof, only evidence. Of course, the evidence is extremely persuasive, and it's hard to imagine any rational person having reasonable doubt that we went to the Moon. But there are plenty of irrational people- a review of this forum's history reveals people who refuse to entertain even overwhelming evidence in a variety of areas <g>.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:39 am

Yeah, and I guess next you'll be saying we really have rovers on Mars, or satellites in orbit about Saturn.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:53 am

bystander wrote:Yeah, and I guess next you'll be saying we really have rovers on Mars, or satellites in orbit about Saturn.
Ya! And don't forget the probe en route to Pluto! :shock:

Orin
Orin

BMAONE23
Commentator Model 1.23

Post by BMAONE23 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:43 am

orin stepanek wrote:
bystander wrote:Yeah, and I guess next you'll be saying we really have rovers on Mars, or satellites in orbit about Saturn.
Ya! And don't forget the probe en route to Pluto! :shock:

Orin
When will it be borrowing energy from Uranus?

grump
Ensign

Post by grump » Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:46 am

orin stepanek wrote:...
I'm in favor of space exploration because I believe the future survival of man will be determined by his ability to find and colonize habitable planets.
Orin
I don't think finding (or making) habitable planets (space habitats) would do us much good - the population of Earth will expand faster that it's ability to export colonists. However, I am an optimist and think that no matter how old Earth gets stuffed up, mankind will adapt to living here. There might not be as many of us, and we might not live as we do now, but live here we will, and quite happily. The transition phase between now and then might not be comfortable though.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:20 pm

grump wrote: I don't think finding (or making) habitable planets (space habitats) would do us much good - the population of Earth will expand faster that it's ability to export colonists. However, I am an optimist and think that no matter how old Earth gets stuffed up, mankind will adapt to living here. There might not be as many of us, and we might not live as we do now, but live here we will, and quite happily. The transition phase between now and then might not be comfortable though.
I don't believe there will be a mass exodus; but some planted here and some there. We will still have to deal with overpopulation as it happens! :shock: The adventurous blood in me tells me that someday man will populate the stars. I don't think it will happen in our lifetime but I think it will happen. The dream is there! :)

Orin
Orin

neufer

Post by neufer » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:43 pm

orin stepanek wrote:
grump wrote: I don't think finding (or making) habitable planets (space habitats) would do us much good - the population of Earth will expand faster that it's ability to export colonists. However, I am an optimist and think that no matter how old Earth gets stuffed up, mankind will adapt to living here. There might not be as many of us, and we might not live as we do now, but live here we will, and quite happily. The transition phase between now and then might not be comfortable though.
I don't believe there will be a mass exodus; but some planted here and some there. We will still have to deal with overpopulation as it happens! :shock: The adventurous blood in me tells me that someday man will populate the stars. I don't think it will happen in our lifetime but I think it will happen. The dream is there! :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WALL-E wrote:
<<Throughout the 21st century, Earth was governed by the Buy n Large megacorporation (BnL), causing mass consumerism and covering the planet in trash by 2105. In an attempt to resolve the situation, Earth's population was evacuated on fully automated luxury BnL starliners to spend five years on a cruise in space while an army of trash compactor robots named WALL-E were left behind to clean the planet. This plan failed, however, when in 2110 the planet was deemed too toxic to ever support life again, forcing humanity to remain in space indefinitely. Seven hundred years later after living in microgravity, consuming liquid food and relying on the machinery around them, humans have suffered severe bone loss, and have become extremely obese and unable to walk, reclining on hover chairs and communicating only through video messaging.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Storm_norm
Ensign

Post by Storm_norm » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:27 pm

communicating only through video messaging
I think we can assume that if we are obese and have severe bone loss that video messaging would not be the mainstream medium through communicating. unless you like looking at obese and boneless creatures.

Storm_norm
Ensign

Post by Storm_norm » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Let developing countries like India & China (who apparently can't afford to give much of their population decent food & shelter much less to cut back on pollution & greenhouse gases) send men back to the moon.
I would like to think that any developing nation has a desire to put someone on the moon as we did. I also would like to think that all the rest of the nations were green with envy while they watched our astronauts bouncing around up there. oops, forgot that most of the population of the 3rd world countries didn't watch tv in 1960's. my bad.
:oops:

regardless of what others think about space flight and going back to the moon, its only a matter of time until technology advances far enough to make a trip to the moon more accessible to those who have that dream. I am not saying it will be easier or more time efficient, but accessible to those determined to fullfill that dream.

neufer

Post by neufer » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:43 am

Storm_norm wrote:
communicating only through video messaging
I think we can assume that if we are obese and have severe bone loss that video messaging would not be the mainstream medium through communicating. unless you like looking at obese and boneless creatures.
Be sure next mealtime to ask for your free sep-tua-centennial cupcake in a cup.
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:09 am

I would think that bone loss problems on long space flights in the future will be resolved. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/space/4728356.html
Obesity shouldn't be a problem as I'm sure rationing and recycling will be necessary. That's why more advancements are needed in space technology. I don't think we are ready for a Mars trip even though it is being discussed. Next stop Luna. Let's see how that goes.

Orin
Orin