Old F**th-Full Moon (APOD 2009 October 3)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Old F**th-Full Moon (APOD 2009 October 3)

Post by neufer » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:58 pm

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap091003.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Faithful_Geyser wrote:
<<Eruptions can shoot 3,700 to 8,400 U.S. gallons (14–32.000 litre) of boiling water to a height of 106–185 feet (30–56 m) lasting from 1.5 to 5 minutes. The average height of an eruption is 145 feet (44 m). The highest recorded eruption was 185 feet (56 m) high. Eruptions often occur about 90 minutes apart, but this interval can range from 45 to 125 minutes on occasion. Over the years, the length of the interval has increased, which may be the result of earthquakes affecting subterranean water levels. These disruptions have made the earlier mathematical relationship inaccurate, but have in fact made Old Faithful more predictable. With a margin of error of 10 minutes, Old Faithful will erupt 65 minutes after an eruption lasting less than 2.5 minutes or 91 minutes after an eruption lasting more than 2.5 minutes. The reliability of Old Faithful can be attributed to the fact that it is not connected to any other thermal features of the Upper Geyser Basin.

Old Faithful is sometimes degraded by being made a laundry. Garments placed in the crater during quiescence are ejected thoroughly washed when the eruption takes place. Gen. Sheridan's men, in 1882, found that linen and cotton fabrics were uninjured by the action of the water, but woolen clothes were torn to shreds.>>
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Re: Old F**th-Full Moon (APOD 2009 October 3)

Post by orin stepanek » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:36 am

Rerminds me! There was a song about the harvest moon. :)

Shine On Harvest Moon
By Nora Bayes and Jack Norworth - 1903
Shine on, shine on harvest moon
Up in the sky,
I ain't had no lovin'
Since January, February, June or July
Snow time ain't no time to stay
Outdoors and spoon,
So shine on, shine on harvest moon,
For me and my gal.

Orin
Orin