The COLBERT & ISS Over Earth (APOD 2009 October 5)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Chris Peterson
Abominable Snowman

Re: The COLBERT & ISS Over Earth (APOD 2009 October 5)

Post by Chris Peterson » Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:51 pm

jerbil wrote:Right at the beginning of this thread Neufer penned a little 4 line ditty, which reminded me of another one of which the authorship is unknown to me.

"As I was walking up the stair, I met a man who wasn't there. He wasn't there again today. I wish to hell he'd go away!"
William Hughes Mearns.
Chris

Chris L Peterson
Cloudbait Observatory
https://www.cloudbait.com

mnmcallister
Asternaut

Re: APOD dated 2009 October 5

Post by mnmcallister » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:32 am

Thanks! :D
I checked the photo against google maps, and they're too similar to be a coinsidence. That's the spot.
Chris Peterson wrote:
mnmcallister wrote:I am deeply curious as to where the ISS in the APOD dated 2009 October 5 was taken (Earth geographicaly)
I'd like to place the landmass in the photo.
The landmass on the lower right is New Zealand's South Island. You can see Banks Peninsula poking up at the right side of it, with Christchurch at its base. The waterway in the center is the Cook Strait, separating the North and South islands. North Island is at the left, with Wellington right on the tip extending into the Cook Strait. "Up" in the image is southeast. The entire stretch of coastline ranges from Hawke Bay on the left to nearly Timaru on the right, a total distance of perhaps 750 km.