Closed IP in video stream locks out some users.

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
peterblewis
Asternaut

Closed IP in video stream locks out some users.

Post by peterblewis » Mon May 29, 2006 7:45 am

I know that there are not many of us but please keep the site open to all. The media stream in today's APOD uses a closed IP. The IP owner does not provide a plugin for Open Source operating systems.

I assume that it is wonderful as usual, but I will never know.

Next time that shop does not stock your favourite product, it may be because you are in a minority - so that does not matter then.

stevemills
Asternaut

Post by stevemills » Mon May 29, 2006 8:34 am

Very disappointing to have to view this marvelous page using IE, when Firefox serves quite well for all else I do. Don't close out 10% (+) of the web this way, please.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon May 29, 2006 10:41 am

Here is some interesting read for 10% of Internet users.

As a side note, IE simply does for you all the work that Firefox does not. You should send your complaints over user-friendliness to Firefox team instead.

sasco99
Asternaut

Post by sasco99 » Mon May 29, 2006 11:41 am

Hello,
I do not use Microsoft products. I do not think their quality is good. I also do not like their business practices. The internet is supposed to be where any operating system can be used for all media. Except for Microsoft who locks customers into their products and does not support other operating systems. When using streaming media please make the front page of APOD also support Real Player. To see NASA tv without using Microsoft products go here where they also support Realplayer:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Scott

Microsoft is not the answer,
Microsoft is the question.
The answer is no.
Last edited by sasco99 on Mon May 29, 2006 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Mon May 29, 2006 1:58 pm

the question? the question is why there are no IE users whining around how some site is not-IE friendly but works fine in Firefox?

I hate to make suggestions, but this once, may it be because there are no sites like that?

jelleoelle
Asternaut

Post by jelleoelle » Mon May 29, 2006 2:49 pm

I'd prefer that there'd never be videos on APOD. Only pictures.
makc wrote:the question? the question is why there are no IE users whining around how some site is not-IE friendly but works fine in Firefox?

I hate to make suggestions, but this once, may it be because there are no sites like that?
Well said!

stevemills
Asternaut

Post by stevemills » Mon May 29, 2006 7:40 pm

Here is some interesting read for 10% of Internet users.

As a side note, IE simply does for you all the work that Firefox does not. You should send your complaints over user-friendliness to Firefox team instead.
makc wrote:the question? the question is why there are no IE users whining around how some site is not-IE friendly but works fine in Firefox?

Two posters asked kindly for consideration that the whole world is not IE-specific, and you respond with sarcasm and disdain. This isn't moderation, sir, this is disrespect.

My apologies for asking nicely.

sasco99
Asternaut

Post by sasco99 » Mon May 29, 2006 7:51 pm

I was not "whining". I gave my technical and philosophical reasons why I do not use Microsoft products. If you want to continue to support Microsoft's closed formats that is your business.

makc wrote:I hate to make suggestions, but this once, may it be because there are no sites like that?
If your saying IE is more standard friendly than Firefox, you are sadly mistaken.

This is from here:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/12/ ... ent_1.html

Firefox's standards compliance isn't perfect -- in fact, the standards are so complex that I wonder if we'll ever see two browsers that render every page exactly alike -- but the fact that its developers have made compliance a top priority accounts for a large part of its popularity. Other browsers have followed suit, including Konqueror, Opera, and Safari , leaving just one to play catch-up: Internet Explorer.

In the past, the sheer inertia of Microsoft's market share would have been enough to keep IE (Overview, Articles, Company) on top, poor standards compliance and all. But a string of serious security vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer has led even some staunch Microsoft shops to consider jumping ship.

All I am asking is when using streaming media on the web site to not use the closed Windows Media format.

Thank you,

Scott

nomystics
Asternaut

See my post here.

Post by nomystics » Tue May 30, 2006 4:17 am

http://asterisk.apod.com/vie ... php?t=1788

All windows codecs are supported under Linux with mplayer. You just have to go to a site outside of the US to get them because it is illegal to host them in the US or Canada due to the DMCA. It may even be illegal to use them, but what price freedom?

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue May 30, 2006 6:17 am

locked, follow link in above post.