APOD October 20 2009 STEREO solar prominence.

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

APOD October 20 2009 STEREO solar prominence.

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:37 pm

I am unsure about the image in the APOD http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap091020.html and wonder if anyone can please answer me. Is the large curving prominence in the top left part of the STEREO A image or is it part of the image taken by STEREO B. Links in the explanation bring up the A and B views side by side but I just cannot decide if that prominence is from the A or the B view, though I think it is that from the A view. :?:

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Re: APOD October 20 2009 STEREO solar prominence.

Post by bystander » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:00 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:I am unsure about the image in the APOD http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap091020.html and wonder if anyone can please answer me. Is the large curving prominence in the top left part of the STEREO A image or is it part of the image taken by STEREO B. Links in the explanation bring up the A and B views side by side but I just cannot decide if that prominence is from the A or the B view, though I think it is that from the A view. :?:
In the pictured above link, the Stereo A photo shows the prominence against the background of space (upper left, as you say), but the Stereo B photo shows it across the face of the Sun (hard to see). If you watch the YouTube video of the prominence erupting, here, it is more obvious.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:23 pm

bystander wrote:
DavidLeodis wrote:I am unsure about the image in the APOD http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap091020.html and wonder if anyone can please answer me. Is the large curving prominence in the top left part of the STEREO A image or is it part of the image taken by STEREO B. Links in the explanation bring up the A and B views side by side but I just cannot decide if that prominence is from the A or the B view, though I think it is that from the A view. :?:
In the pictured above link, the Stereo A photo shows the prominence against the background of space (upper left, as you say), but the Stereo B photo shows it across the face of the Sun (hard to see). If you watch the YouTube video of the prominence erupting, here, it is more obvious.
Thanks bystander. When I first saw the APOD image I had no reason to doubt that the large curving prominence was part of the A view, but when I saw the linked paired images I began to have doubts. I did wonder if the filament across the Sun in the B view was a front view of what I now know is the large curving prominence seen in the side view from A.

bystander
Apathetic Retiree

Post by bystander » Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:30 pm

DavidLeodis wrote:Thanks bystander. When I first saw the APOD image I had no reason to doubt that the large curving prominence was part of the A view, but when I saw the linked paired images I began to have doubts. I did wonder if the filament across the Sun in the B view was a front view of what I now know is the large curving prominence seen in the side view from A.
Yes, the images were taken at the same time. It's easy to follow in the video.