DIA Sunrise (091114)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
Star*Hopper
Science Officer

DIA Sunrise (091114)

Post by Star*Hopper » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:43 am

*yawn*
"Perhaps I'll never touch a star, but at least let me reach." ~J Faircloth

Storm_norm
Ensign

Re: DIA Sunrise (091114)

Post by Storm_norm » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:21 am

yep, this is one of those... oops, the APOD image uploader called in sick days.

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Post by geckzilla » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:38 am

You all have no imagination, that's your problem. See that plane? It's farting out the sun.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

apodman
Teapot Fancier (MIA)

Post by apodman » Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:00 am

geckzilla wrote:farting out the sun
sounds exhausting

kovil
Science Officer

Post by kovil » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:18 am

If anybody asks me, and nobody did, I think ya'll have been posting too long.

Hey, for a new perspective on things, and this one really blows my mind;

We are 107 diameters of the Sun, from the Sun !

That seems a bit too close for comfort in some ways, considering how energetic and potentially volatile the Sun can/could be !

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:42 pm

Flag of Denver:
Image [/quote]

http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap091114.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver wrote:
<<Denver City was founded in November 1858 as a mining town during the Pikes Peak Gold Rush in western Kansas Territory.[11] That summer, a group of gold prospectors from Lawrence, Kansas, arrived and established Montana City on the banks of the South Platte River. This was the first settlement in what was later to become the city of Denver. The site faded quickly, however, and was abandoned in favor of Auraria (named after the gold-mining town of Auraria, Georgia) and St. Charles City by the summer of 1859. On November 22, 1858, General William Larimer, a land speculator from eastern Kansas, placed cottonwood logs to stake a claim on the hill overlooking the confluence of the South Platte River and Cherry Creek, across the creek from the existing mining settlement of Auraria. Larimer named the town site Denver City to curry favor with Kansas Territorial Governor James W. Denver. Larimer hoped that the town's name would help make it the county seat of Arapaho County, but unknown to him Governor Denver had already resigned from office.>>
------------------------------------------
DOA (I can see the plume now!):
Art Neuendorffer

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:11 pm

I think it's a geat picture. 8)

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:33 pm

This APOD set me to pondering our loose cultural grip on reality… We are such “distortionists”. Take the phrase… “Here comes the sun!” What a misnomer! Isn’t it true that we are doing the moving that accommodates the suns appearance and apparent disappearance? And isn’t it also true that we are traveling around the sun at about 67,000 MPH all the while spinning at over 1,000 MPH (at the equator)? So WE are the ONE coming and going and being helpfully dragged along at nearly 515,000 MPH as the sun takes us around the galaxy. So what’s up with our skills of perception and what’s up with our grip on reality? I’m just askin’… just askin’… no pressure… wouldn’t want to break anyone’s gravitational hold! :wink:
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore

DEN of iniquity!

Post by neufer » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denver_International_Airport wrote:
<<Denver International Airport (IATA: DEN, ICAO: KDEN, FAA LID: DEN), often called DIA, is, by land size at 53 square miles (140 km2), the largest international airport in the United States, and the third largest international airport in the world. Runway 16R/34L is the longest public use runway in the United States.

In February 2008, construction of an on-site, two-megawatt solar energy system began. The single-axis tracking system should provide 3.5 million kilowatt-hours of energy per year and spare the environment of more than five million pounds of carbon emissions annually. The system will generate the equivalent of half the energy needs for the underground trains that move people between concourses.

Conspiracy theories

There are several conspiracy theories relating to the airport's design and construction. Murals painted in the baggage claim area have been claimed to contain themes referring to future military oppression and a one-world government. However, the artist, Leo Tanguma, said the murals, entitled "In Peace and Harmony With Nature" and "The Children of the World Dream of Peace," depict man-made environmental destruction and genocide along with humanity coming together to heal nature and live in peace. In the mid-1990s, Philip Schneider gave lectures about highly secretive government information concerning "deep underground military bases" that were constructed by the United States government, and said that one of these bases exists about two miles underneath the Denver International Airport. Author Alex Christopher claimed to have worked in the tunnels under the airport, and described what appeared to be vast holding areas for prisoners, strange nausea-inducing electromagnetic forces, and caverns big enough to drive trucks through, presumably to be filled with helpless political prisoners.

Conspiracists have pointed to unusual words cut into the floor as being Satanic, Masonic, or just some impenetrable secret code of the New World Order: Cochetopa, Sisnaajini, and the baffling Dzit Dit Gaii. These words are actually Navajo terms for geographical sites in Colorado. The words, Braaksma and Villarreal, are actually the names of Carolyn Braaksma and Mark Villarreal, artists who worked on the airport’s sculptures and paintings.

There is a dedication marker in the airport inscribed with the square and compasses of the Freemasons, along with listing the involvement of the two Grand Lodges of Freemasonry in Colorado, and mounted over a time capsule sealed during the dedication of the airport. The Freemasons participated in laying the “capstone” (the last, finishing stone) of the airport project. Conspiracists claim that this is a futuristic “keypad” with some unknown purpose.>>
Art Neuendorffer

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:09 pm

orin stepanek wrote:I think it's a geat picture. 8)
Orin

No argument there. But the point is, while APOD might concomitantly stand for "Awesome" (which rampant mis- and over-use disgusts me) Picture Of the Day, or "Amazing..." (also non-fitting in this case) - here it means "Astronomy". Or is supposed to. And a simple interjection of phrase into a caption doesn't make it so, in my opinion.

Just sayin'....

~S*H

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:15 pm

emc wrote:"...So WE are the ONE coming and going and being helpfully dragged along at nearly 515,000 MPH as the sun takes us around the galaxy. ..."

Actually that's 447,000 mi/hr (719,000 km/hr) - ( http://calgary.rasc.ca/howfast.htm ).
But who's splitting hairs over a paltry 68,234.11281 miles per hour!? :wink:

~S*H

emc
Equine Locutionist
AKA: Bear

Post by emc » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:54 pm

Star*Hopper wrote:
emc wrote:"...So WE are the ONE coming and going and being helpfully dragged along at nearly 515,000 MPH as the sun takes us around the galaxy. ..."

Actually that's 447,000 mi/hr (719,000 km/hr) - ( http://calgary.rasc.ca/howfast.htm ).
But who's splitting hairs over a paltry 68,234.11281 miles per hour!? :wink:

~S*H
Got my number from http://starchild.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/Sta ... ion18.html (just rounded it up)

Interestingly there are other estimates...

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_a ... 0821a.html

Guess we really aren't certain :|
Ed
Casting Art to the Net
Sometimes the best path is a new one.

orin stepanek
Plutopian

Post by orin stepanek » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:49 am

Star*Hopper wrote:
orin stepanek wrote:I think it's a geat picture. 8)
Orin

No argument there. But the point is, while APOD might concomitantly stand for "Awesome" (which rampant mis- and over-use disgusts me) Picture Of the Day, or "Amazing..." (also non-fitting in this case) - here it means "Astronomy". Or is supposed to. And a simple interjection of phrase into a caption doesn't make it so, in my opinion.

Just sayin'....

~S*H
Ahh! Well I believe that That the Sun and the Moon are part of astronomy; the Earth too as far as that goes. True; not as exciting as a super nova or a shooting star. :D To each his own; I guess.
I'll reconsider; A lot of the Sun; Moon; and Earth are exciting; anyway I think the picture made a great APOD. 8)

Orin
Orin

Smile today; tomorrow's another day!

Star*Hopper
Science Officer

Post by Star*Hopper » Mon Nov 16, 2009 5:01 pm

emc wrote:Interestingly there are other estimates...
Guess we really aren't certain :|

This :!:

~S*H

luca
Asternaut

2009 november 14 jpg compression

Post by luca » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:06 am

This picture show very well the limits of jpg compression: bends!
the cristalclear morning over DIA and the ability of the photographer has been nichilated. I'd really like to see the raw image, i bet it show a beautiful orange bend in the sky!