Video on APOD (29May06)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
boblindley
Asternaut

Video on APOD (29May06)

Post by boblindley » Tue May 30, 2006 2:31 am

Could you please use something other than or in addition to Microsoft only Windows Media Player?

I look at APOD every day and really like your service.

I was not very happy when todays Picture was a blank frame.

No Windows Media Player Plugin is available for Linux!

Bob Lindley

nomystics
Asternaut

Re: Windows Media Player doesn't work on Linux Firefox

Post by nomystics » Tue May 30, 2006 4:05 am

boblindley wrote:Could you please use something other than or in addition to Microsoft only Windows Media Player?

No Windows Media Player Plugin is available for Linux!

Bob Lindley
Uh...actually there is. I'm using a distro that is got to be the best combination of ease of use and full configurablility I have ever seen. It is totally free, based on Mandriva, only it is free of the bugs and non-working cruft that is always there. I was pleased to see it load up the link to NASA TV and run it crisply. Try PCLinuxOS.

I am using a AMD64 chip and a rather new Nvidia card, a 7800, and I had to visit the Nvidia site to get the latest driver. That was the only "techie" thing I had to do other than pick the win32 codecs and a few more programs, from their already configured update site. Quite frankly, I was a bit shocked when I visited APOD and it popped up!. (Its my home page) Use mplayer and the Firefox plugin.

Be thankful they're not using the evil activex plugin.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue May 30, 2006 6:19 am

could you please keep all your feedback in one place thank you, I'm going to stick this thread so that you have no problems scrolling forum page down looking for existing thread thank you (and read).

Locked threads: Oh yeah, check this out, too:
sasco99 wrote:To see NASA tv without using Microsoft products go here where they also support Realplayer:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/index.html

Scott

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Tue May 30, 2006 8:19 am

I thought nasa TV on APOD made an interesting change. Its unfortunate that not everyone can view it, but the majority of users can.

Lets not get too picky about it being the Astronomy Picture of the day, its better than that terrible artists impression of multiple universes. At least this is slightly informative.

So that must make it about 15 to 1 against video on APOD. Oh well :D

jelleoelle
Asternaut

Post by jelleoelle » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:23 am

Well as long as it happends almost never, then ok, but I come here to see a picture, not spend an hour on video.

They could just have posted a screenshot from nasa tv and a link to it instead. That would have been way better. It would keep it pictures and be as good as some of the pictures anyway.
makc wrote:could you please keep all your feedback in one place thank you, I'm going to stick this thread so that you have no problems scrolling forum page down looking for existing thread thank you (and read).
Could you please stick a thread with a meaninfull title then? My thread wich you insist on locking and refered to this one, has nothing to do with the subject of this thread and even less with the title.

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:20 pm

Thank you for making your point. I'm sure APOD owners will glance through your valuable feedback within next thousand years.

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:55 pm

jelleoelle wrote:Well as long as it happends almost never, then ok, but I come here to see a picture, not spend an hour on video.

They could just have posted a screenshot from nasa tv and a link to it instead. That would have been way better. It would keep it pictures and be as good as some of the pictures anyway.

I agree jelleoelle. There has been an increasing tendency over time to have animated APODs. We do not all have broadband (well I do not) and the downloading times of animations often takes far too long. The APOD of May 31st 2006 'Simulated Gamma-ray Sky' for example took me at least 10 minutes to download!

With respect to the APOD authors and editors I would like to point out that it is supposed to be an Astronomy Picture Of the Day. Having a single image (or a single montage that had some selected frames from an animation) with links to an animated sequence is a good idea.

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:57 pm

I agree. The name should be changed so people can't be picky.

If you still use 56k, then you are insane!

And if you can't get it where you live, then I feel very sorry for you and I know how it feels :p
Could you please stick a thread with a meaninfull title then?
Yeah can't you change it makc, to something a little more general like 'Video on APOD discussion' or some such. Don't know if your severely limited moderator powers go that far though...

DavidLeodis
Perceptatron

Post by DavidLeodis » Sat Jun 03, 2006 5:05 pm

l3p3r wrote:I agree. The name should be changed so people can't be picky.

If you still use 56k, then you are insane!

And if you can't get it where you live, then I feel very sorry for you and I know how it feels :p

Well thank you very much 13p3r for saying I am insane. That's very mature of you. I cannot afford broadband. Yes, it's that simple. I'm really glad for you that you obviously have it!

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:00 am

chill out DavidLeeds, I'm not having a go at you
no sense being hyper sensitive on an online forum

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Sun Jun 04, 2006 6:40 pm

• title changed
  • thread UN-sticked (I think whoever wanned to complain, has already did so)
  • fixed posts of two people who were unable to close quotation tags

jelleoelle
Asternaut

Post by jelleoelle » Tue Jun 06, 2006 12:02 pm

makc wrote:Thank you for making your point. I'm sure APOD owners will glance through your valuable feedback within next thousand years.
What kind of moderating is this? You seem to take things that has nothing to do with you personal and to have a need to get back at people by offending them, while dictating the forum, apparantly modifying according to wether you agree with the authors or not..

makc
Commodore

Post by makc » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:45 pm

yeah, the fact that APOD owners do not visit this place offends many people :) please understand, I am not the one who runs apod, I am just regular member who maintains some order in APOD subforum. As a regular member, I have all the right to piss off another regular member. It just happened that I am also a mod, but that mod-ship is not something that restricts me from being an asshole.

l3p3r
Science Officer

Post by l3p3r » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:26 am

makc
APOD Forum Bully
:P

jelleoelle
Asternaut

Post by jelleoelle » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:24 am

Well, normally mods are picked because they have forum experience and don't tend to moderate or behave that way.