Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217 (2009 Dec 28)

Comments and questions about the APOD on the main view screen.
User avatar
APOD Robot
Otto Posterman
Posts: 4198
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:27 am

Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217 (2009 Dec 28)

Post by APOD Robot » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:56 am

Image Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Explanation: Many spiral galaxies have bars across their centers. Even our own Milky Way Galaxy is thought to have a modest central bar. Prominently barred spiral galaxy NGC 6217, pictured above, was captured in spectacular detail in this recently released image taken by the newly repaired Advanced Camera for Surveys on the orbiting Hubble Space Telescope. Visible are dark filamentary dust lanes, young clusters of bright blue stars, red emission nebulas of glowing hydrogen gas, a long bright bar of stars across the center, and a bright active nucleus that likely houses a supermassive black hole. Light takes about 60 million years to reach us from NGC 6217, which spans about 30,000 light years across and can be found toward the constellation of the Little Bear (Ursa Minor).


User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17834
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

The Little Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:33 am

APOD Robot wrote:Image Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Light takes about 60 million years to reach us from NGC 6217, which spans about 30,000 light years across and can be found toward the constellation of the Little Bear (Ursa Minor).>>
I noticed that about a third of NGC 6217 url sites have the distance
at 6 million light-years... possibly all from the following:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/hubble/multimedia/ero/ero_ngc6217.html wrote:
The galaxy lies 6 million light-years away in the north circumpolar constellation Ursa Major.
Art Neuendorffer

User avatar
Case
Commander
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: (52°N, 06°E)

Re: The Little Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Post by Case » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:09 am

There's also a nasty Ursa Minor/Ursa Major mixup in the various releases by NASA.
I, for one, like Roman numerals.

User avatar
Case
Commander
Posts: 603
Joined: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:08 pm
Location: (52°N, 06°E)

Re: The Little Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Post by Case » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:29 pm

A wider field DSS2 image (from WikiSky) shows the fainter outer spiral arms that fall outside the APOD image:
Image
I, for one, like Roman numerals.

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17834
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: The Little Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Post by neufer » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Case wrote:There's also a nasty Ursa Minor/Ursa Major mixup in the various releases by NASA.
NGC 6217 is definitely at a major distance in the Minor constellation
as opposed to at a minor distance in the Major constellation.
Art Neuendorffer

Storm_norm
Ensign
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:13 am

Re: Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217 (2009 Dec 28)

Post by Storm_norm » Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:06 pm

that likely houses a supermassive black hole
interesting way to describe how a galaxy surrounds the blackhole using the word "houses"

I guess its better than using the word "cocoon" :shock:

Image

User avatar
DavidLeodis
Perceptatron
Posts: 1169
Joined: Mon May 01, 2006 1:00 pm

Re: The Little Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Post by DavidLeodis » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:42 pm

neufer wrote:
Case wrote:There's also a nasty Ursa Minor/Ursa Major mixup in the various releases by NASA.
NGC 6217 is definitely at a major distance in the Minor constellation
as opposed to at a minor distance in the Major constellation.
I've noticed that in the related Hubble European Information Centre release about the image it states "The galaxy lies 6 million light-years away in the north circumpolar constellation Ursa Major". This is just adding to my confusion! Am I right in assuming that Ursa Minor must be about 54 mly futher away from us than Ursa Major :?:

User avatar
neufer
Vacationer at Tralfamadore
Posts: 17834
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:57 pm
Location: Alexandria, Virginia

Re: The Little Barred Spiral Galaxy NGC 6217

Post by neufer » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:55 am

DavidLeodis wrote:
neufer wrote:
Case wrote:There's also a nasty Ursa Minor/Ursa Major mixup in the various releases by NASA.
NGC 6217 is definitely at a major distance in the Minor constellation
as opposed to at a minor distance in the Major constellation.
I've noticed that in the related Hubble European Information Centre release about the image it states "The galaxy lies 6 million light-years away in the north circumpolar constellation Ursa Major". This is just adding to my confusion! Am I right in assuming that Ursa Minor must be about 54 mly futher away from us than Ursa Major :?:
Ursa Major & Ursa Minor (like all classical constellations) are made up of local Milky Way Stars.

These classical constellations are used to locate the approximate angular position of much more distance objects such as NGC 6217.
Art Neuendorffer