What is it? Space mystery object game

Introductions, Rules, Announcements, and Feedback
RJN
Baffled Boffin

What is it? Space mystery object game

Post by RJN » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:04 pm

(old title was Possible game: Where are we now?)

I really like the Universe Today's "Where in the Universe?" game. I was wondering if we here at the Asterisk could do a similar but APOD-centric version of this game. If so, an image could be posted from APOD (complete with copyright notice, if needed) and Asternauts would be encouraged to guess what it is. The answer would be just be a link to the APOD from which it came, as hopefully everything will be explained there. Since there are over 5000 APODs, there is a lot to choose from. In fact, it seems to me that most "Where in the Universe?" images have been APODed in the past. So this seems to be a natural for us.

If so, what should be call it? I don't like "Which APOD is this?" Perhaps "What is it?" as this is a question I would ask in the beginnings of many of my lectures -- for years back (predating UT's feature) -- as I challenged the students to guess the origins of a picture I had posted. I would like a title that would intrigue someone who knows nothing about APOD. Perhaps simply: "What is it?" or "Where are we now? Also, perhaps this game could occur in the Asterisk Library as that place has become even a little quiet for a library recently.

Thoughts? Any other title suggestions? Anyone volunteer to run it?

geckzilla
Ocular Digitator

Re: Possible game: Where are we now?

Post by geckzilla » Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:32 pm

Wot'sit? <=could be a ridiculously short name for the game but confusing for a few.
Just call me "geck" because "zilla" is like a last name.

The Code
2+2=5
AKA: Swainy

Re: Possible game: Where are we now?

Post by The Code » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:33 pm

I also enjoy 'the where in the universe' games, I think its a good way to get people involved In astronomy, And also, It could be a good way of introducing new Apod photos, That we all have never seen. This would make it a little harder. And bring out discussions on the topic, at hand.

I Agree with Geckzilla. WotSit? Is a great Name
Always trying to find the answers